Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM

514 posts, read 765,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Not everybody in LA lives by the coast the majority of them do not. The majority of them live inland. Not on the coast. There is no possible way to exaggerate something that LA leads the country in.

LA is always on the television set making itself seem perfect with its little Chavez Ravine and Hollywood Hills flyovers. Reputations are earned and LA is definitely not what its own Hollywood makes it out to be. Most of the city is a bland ongoing suburb all the way to San Bernardino and I do not have to live there to see it.

I never said anything about that. I never said Miami is one of the most diverse. But I did say LA is not diverse like everybody says it is. It is way too Mexican to be NY or Toronto.

I'm an old man but I've been reading about and seeing photos, TV shows, etc. about NYC all my life. I also live a couple of hours from Los Angeles. I would love to visit NYC and I know I could live there because I love San Francisco. You will never hear me say anything bad about either.

Your comments about LA are insulting. I LOVE LA! I don't know what your problem is but you seem so bitter (and ignorant) about Los Angeles. By the way, some of those "hills" in LA are from 8,000-11,000 ft tall and have great mountain skiing. Is it wrong for us to enjoy them? Get a life, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
As to the actual question at hand I of course would pick LA probably the South Bay Beach cities, or Malibu. Laurel Canyon and adjacent hills would be choice. As for New York City..Tribeca is the s..t IMO..NYC truely is first rate.. in a class by itself. I am a Western guy who loves the ocean and the California topography and I grew up in wide open Colorado so naturally LA. I lived in the city itself for two years in the early 90's, now I spend a fair amount of time in OC about an hour south of The City of Angels. I have been to Los Angeles at least once a year since 1983 and watched the city change..not all good..but LA has does have some amazing restaurants,shopping,beauty by anyone's standards..

Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 PM

62 posts, read 80,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I certainly do not care for the beach, the mountains or theme parks, non factors really and beach culture ESPECIALLY attracts the wrong type of people I'd want to be around. wtf is OC? I go maybe once a year, haven't been to theme parks since I was like 13 in middle school.
Pause! Whats your point? I Understand LA is not meant for eveyone. Your from Cali and don't care about beaches, mountains, and theme parks. Then you definitely must have lived somewhere else. Personally I can't stand places without a Coastline and a beach.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Not everybody in LA lives by the coast the majority of them do not. The majority of them live inland. Not on the coast. There is no possible way to exaggerate something that LA leads the country in.

LA is always on the television set making itself seem perfect with its little Chavez Ravine and Hollywood Hills flyovers. Reputations are earned and LA is definitely not what its own Hollywood makes it out to be. Most of the city is a bland ongoing suburb all the way to San Bernardino and I do not have to live there to see it.

I never said anything about that. I never said Miami is one of the most diverse. But I did say LA is not diverse like everybody says it is. It is way too Mexican to be NY or Toronto.
Another way to know your not from LA, LA is hella Diverse. Or maybe it's cause I live in Long Beach.?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
I would most definitely work in New York City. If I have a job there (presumably high enough wage like $150,000 per year), then I would like it a lot more than Los Angeles. The primary reason why I would choose to work in NYC is because LA has lots of highways and I don't like driving for long periods of time, like up to 2-3 hours some do in LA to get to work every day. That is 4-6 hours lost for the commute! Taking subways in NYC might be sorta slow too, but it is much less stressful than LA's commute for almost bumper to bumper traffic. Besides, if you take subway you don't have to think as much as if you're driving and it is far less dangerous. I also like to work in NYC because it seems much more convenient to go out to lunch or shop at nearby stores which you just walk to after work because it is very dense whereas in LA you have to drive everywhere and that could be a pain if you're doing so during lunch hour.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
I'm an old man but I've been reading about and seeing photos, TV shows, etc. about NYC all my life. I also live a couple of hours from Los Angeles. I would love to visit NYC and I know I could live there because I love San Francisco. You will never hear me say anything bad about either.

Your comments about LA are insulting. I LOVE LA! I don't know what your problem is but you seem so bitter (and ignorant) about Los Angeles. By the way, some of those "hills" in LA are from 8,000-11,000 ft tall and have great mountain skiing. Is it wrong for us to enjoy them? Get a life, man.
I agree! he also puts down San Diego. I'm pretty sure he just hates California. He probably has never even been here and if he has, then it wasn't for very long!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 AM

1. Los Angeles is one of the world’s megacities (10 million or more population)
2. Los Angeles is the world’s most ethnically diversified city. Studies have shown that there isn’t a segment of the world’s ethnic or religious not represented somewhere in Los Angeles

It is the second largest English-speaking city in the world
It is the world’s second largest Spanish speaking city
It has the largest population of Iranians outside of Iran
It has the largest population of Thais outside of Thailand
It has the largest Armenian population outside of Armenia
It has the largest Filipino population outside of the Philippines
It has the largest Korean population outside of Korea
It has the largest Vietnamese population outside of Viet Nam
It has the second largest Cambodian population outside of Cambodia
It has the largest population of Persian Jews in the world
It has the largest Salvadoran population outside of El Salvador
It has the largest Guatemalan population outside of Guatemala
It has the second largest Chinese population outside of China
It has the third largest Japanese population outside of Japan
It has the largest population of Pacific Islanders
It has the nation’s largest Romanian population
It has the nation’s largest population of native-American Indians
It has the nation’s second largest population of Russians
It has the nation’s second largest population of foreign-born citizens
It is the fourth-largest African-American metropolitan area in the nation
”Little Ethiopa” is in the Fairfax section of Los Angeles. “Ethiopia is the first African country to be named as a part of a city, any city, in the U.S

3. Los Angeles has by-passed London and New York as the world’s most religiously pluralist metropolitan region.
It has the largest Buddhist temple in western hemisphere
It has the largest Roman Catholic archdiocese in the country
It has the largest Mormon Temple outside of Utah.
It has the largest concentration of Scientologists in the nation
It has the second-largest Jewish population outside of Israel
It is home to the biggest variety of Buddhists in the world
It has the third largest concentration of practicing Muslims in the nation

Source: Mosaic Alliance Leadership Development » Blog Archive » Los Angeles, The Microcosm of the World (http://www.mosaicalliance.com/leadership/microcosm/ - broken link)

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Wow, and here I thought that there were users on here more California-centric than this one..

I stand corrected.

NYC because I think it's more interesting. I've been to LA many, many times and lived in CA for ten years.. the novelty wore off a long time ago.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com

I counted.

NYC - 81
CA - 82

And what does this have to do with "California" anyway?

Every time there is a comparison between LA and NYC, LA boosters always run and try to hind behind "California" and all its 164,000 square miles. At least San Francisco boosters can keep on the subject of city vs city.

States are irrelevant.
To be fair, every time there is a California vs (Insert Northeastern state) thread, people in those states tend to hide behind the regional Bos-Wash I-95 conglomerate of states, and hardly EVER keep it ONE state vs ONE state. It goes both ways.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com

I counted.

NYC - 81
CA - 82
What exactly were you counting? The states of NY, CT, and NJ combined have 68 billionaires. I would assume that those three states take care of all of NYC metro. And CA's number of billionaires on that list is 89.

Did I miss something here or do you just not know how to count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City