Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

L.a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

244 posts, read 568,057 times
NYC. I love it!

I went to school in LA, but I prefer NYC for its first class everything.

I can't settle for anything second rate.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

138 posts, read 214,842 times
I would prefer to work in New York City simply because I like it better than Los Angeles.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan4Ever View Post
And I'm a city guy,
Well theres the main point right there, if you're a city person and are used to places like New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, & Philadelphia then you really wont find anything in Los Angeles interesting. And that is saying solely if you want walkable neighborhoods through and through and getting around the city area on foot.

Architecturally it is not New York City or Chicago you wont find yourself living amongst a concrete jungle like those two cities for the most part. And that's fine it is a different kind of lifestyle and it excels at what it does which is main priority of outdoor recreational activities.

And you made your case, conclusion is if you're solely a person who wants to live in a far more cosmopolitan environment with a condensed infrastructure and a bustling "city life" than Los Angeles and anything else in the sunbelt is not for you, besides Miami.

Yeah it's true if you're an average guy in Los Angeles you wont be looking up and seeing this: (and I know this is the 4th time this week I've posted this- but honestly someone show me a better picture cause this one is great in so many different ways...)

Because that is something Los Angeles simply is not, it's just a different type of city. More spread out, slower paced, auto-centric, diverse landscape, mild weather, not centralized to a downtown area, & west coast culture with lots of Asian and Hispanic influence. Many people would find this attractive in its own right.

To each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
New York City!

(Awesome danny who should change his city data user name back to Omshahi made some very good points about LA)
Hahaha quite possibly so. It just seemed to flow a lot smoother than my real name "Danny".

Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Depends on the job

Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
NYC.

I prefer NYC for its first class everything.

I can't settle for anything second rate.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
On 42nd Street.......

NYC

Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Well theres the main point right there, if you're a city person and are used to places like New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, & Philadelphia then you really wont find anything in Los Angeles interesting. And that is saying solely if you want walkable neighborhoods through and through and getting around the city area on foot.

Architecturally it is not New York City or Chicago you wont find yourself living amongst a concrete jungle like those two cities for the most part. And that's fine it is a different kind of lifestyle and it excels at what it does which is main priority of outdoor recreational activities.

And you made your case, conclusion is if you're solely a person who wants to live in a far more cosmopolitan environment with a condensed infrastructure and a bustling "city life" than Los Angeles and anything else in the sunbelt is not for you
Yeah its nothing BAD l.a. is doing, it is just not for certain people, nyc/chicago is just not for certain people. Obviously tons of people like l.a. and sunbelt city layouts. It shouldn't discredit what the cities offer, but they *are* two pretty different lifestyles.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
Los Angeles.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah its nothing BAD l.a. is doing, it is just not for certain people, nyc/chicago is just not for certain people. Obviously tons of people like l.a. and sunbelt city layouts. It shouldn't discredit what the cities offer, but they *are* two pretty different lifestyles.
Exactly, I'm literally torn about which layout it is that I prefer more as well. Perhaps when I get older I'll have a better idea. I spend to much time in both kinds of cities to literally take the best of both.

And you're one of the few to see it like it is, and that's a different type of city. Every city in the sunbelt/Spanish Belt has the exact same layout besides Miami. Where as everything north of it has a similar layout the condensed "city" structure.

To each their own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City