U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,017,603 times
Naw, but for real, I'm gonna move to NYC one day, and just complain about EVERYTHING. I'm gonna gonna talk about how everything there bothers me, and how it's not like back home, and see peoples reaction.lol That'll be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,143,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
New Yorkers have infiltrated the place. It's weird, it's like "Why live there then?" "Why put yourself through the misery?"
a lot of ppl get stuck once they move.

things like the job market, lower wages, owning a home, etc. tend to mess up your money when trying to come back. its not as easy as, "why don't you just move back."

this goes for anywhere really but it is very difficult moving back to ny once you leave. it was like that before but now that the economy is firmly lodged in the toilet...a person should think very, very hard before moving.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 AM

3,629 posts, read 2,690,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

things like the job market, lower wages, owning a home, etc. tend to mess up your money when trying to come back. its not as easy as, "why don't you just move back."

this goes for anywhere really but it is very difficult moving back to ny once you leave. it was like that before but now that the economy is firmly lodged in the toilet...a person should think very, very hard before moving.

That's true, but at the same time it doesn't explain the reason why so many New Yorkers move there and complain about things, and they tell their family/friends back in NY, but yet more people keep coming down.

I mean most New Yorkers that come down to Florida have family still in NY and they warn them, but yet they still wanna come after being warned. What you're saying can be true in some cases, but there are so many New Yorkers down there that love complaining about Florida when they live there. It's rare to find a New Yorker that doesn't say things like, "They don't have this place or that place down here" or "This or that is weird down here".

I still think it's just homesickness and the need to prove that NYC is better to people around them and it's way easier for them to do down there because of the mob rule theory which I mean that New Yorkers find other New Yorkers down in Florida and get together and talk trash about how much better NY is instead of enjoying the place they moved to.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,143,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
That's true, but at the same time it doesn't explain the reason why so many New Yorkers move there and complain about things, and they tell their family/friends back in NY, but yet more people keep coming down.
the power of word of mouth.

also, ppl are stubborn. once a person gets something in their head its very difficult for them to take no for an answer and they have to see it for themselves.

the grass is always greener on the other side. a lot of ppl hear something from a person that heard something from someone else and they take that an think that it *must* be better than what they have going on at the moment. they don't do enough research, pack up and move. they see for themselves. they get there and think its going to be one way and its a completely different way...then they start complaining or comparing and contrasting a lot...

then they miss home, want to move back but can't because of finances. it takes a lot of money to move. a lot of times ppl take paycuts when they move...

so these ppl will complain to friends/fam but friends/fam aren't trying to hear that. they are so convinced that x place is better that they have to learn the hard way.

thats my personal experience with my own friends, family and myself. i used to live in the south and spent a lot of time on the phone complaining to deaf ears. mad ppl are convinced that the south is the answer when IMO its not. it works for some ppl but its culturally different, the wages are lower, values can be different (depends), there isn't as much to do, etc. etc.

*i* was making a very, very low wage. i was underpaid (so much so that i won't even list a round a bout figure, lol), living in an apartment taking the bus to work, complaining to a person making six figures a year that lives in a house in long island and he was telling me oh well the south's COL is lower but the QOL is better.

you also cannot move from ny expecting ny. period. fl is not ny. you cannot find brooklyn on the west coast. etc. etc. (i've seen the threads)

ny is in ny. fl is in fl. cali is in cali. etc. etc. if you move trying to look for a mini *insert city here* you will be disappointed. let those cities be themselves.

Quote:
I mean most New Yorkers that come down to Florida have family still in NY and they warn them, but yet they still wanna come after being warned. What you're saying can be true in some cases, but there are so many New Yorkers down there that love complaining about Florida when they live there. It's rare to find a New Yorker that doesn't say things like, "They don't have this place or that place down here" or "This or that is weird down here".
see what i said above. i definitely agree with you that it happens exactly how you're telling it.

lol its like (generalization) nyers in ny swear that the south is the answer and nyers in the south swear ny is the answer.

Quote:
I still think it's just homesickness and the need to prove that NYC is better to people around them and it's way easier for them to do down there because of the mob rule theory which I mean that New Yorkers find other New Yorkers down in Florida and get together and talk trash about how much better NY is instead of enjoying the place they moved to.
misery loves company, tho.

a bunch of ppl realizing they made a mistake gathering to complain about the mistakes they made and reminiscing about the past, before they moved.

happens all the time.

i'm not trying to shoot the south down but i just feel like a nyer should not move to the south without A LOT of research and an open mind for real. do not buy into stereotypes, word of mouth, etc. this is 2010. ppl need to have fam down there they can spend an extended time with to get a real feel for the area they want to move to.

the economy is trash and the foreseeable future isn't looking good. ppl need to be absolutely sure before they move to an area culturally different from where they're from, with (potentially) higher unemployment, lower wages, etc.

like i have a friend that wants to move to nevada for the art scene because she has a friend from nevada that said it was dope.

i'm like . if it doesn't work out (and art is finicky) then what?? do you know what the unemployment rate is in nevada? 14.2%.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

But did they not receive a GREAT warning not to move to Florida? All they have to do is look on the internets and see reviews, and stuff. See people complaining. Who keeps talling these people they'll like it down there? They must be lazy to not do all there homework on a place. That's THERE fault.SMH

Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

also, ppl are stubborn. once a person gets something in their head its very difficult for them to take no for an answer and they have to see it for themselves.

the grass is always greener on the other side. a lot of ppl hear something from a person that heard something from someone else and they take that an think that it *must* be better than what they have going on at the moment. they don't do enough research, pack up and move. they see for themselves. they get there and think its going to be one way and its a completely different way...then they start complaining or comparing and contrasting a lot...

then they miss home, want to move back but can't because of finances. it takes a lot of money to move. a lot of times ppl take paycuts when they move...

so these ppl will complain to friends/fam but friends/fam aren't trying to hear that. they are so convinced that x place is better that they have to learn the hard way.

thats my personal experience with my own friends, family and myself. i used to live in the south and spent a lot of time on the phone complaining to deaf ears. mad ppl are convinced that the south is the answer when IMO its not. it works for some ppl but its culturally different, the wages are lower, values can be different (depends), there isn't as much to do, etc. etc.

*i* was making a very, very low wage. i was underpaid (so much so that i won't even list a round a bout figure, lol), living in an apartment taking the bus to work, complaining to a person making six figures a year that lives in a house in long island and he was telling me oh well the south's COL is lower but the QOL is better.

you also cannot move from ny expecting ny. period. fl is not ny. you cannot find brooklyn on the west coast. etc. etc. (i've seen the threads)

ny is in ny. fl is in fl. cali is in cali. etc. etc. if you move trying to look for a mini *insert city here* you will be disappointed. let those cities be themselves.

see what i said above. i definitely agree with you that it happens exactly how you're telling it.

lol its like (generalization) nyers in ny swear that the south is the answer and nyers in the south swear ny is the answer.

a bunch of ppl realizing they made a mistake gathering to complain about the mistakes they made and reminiscing about the past, before they moved.

happens all the time.

i'm not trying to shoot the south down but i just feel like a nyer should not move to the south without A LOT of research and an open mind for real. do not buy into stereotypes, word of mouth, etc. this is 2010. ppl need to have fam down there they can spend an extended time with to get a real feel for the area they want to move to.

the economy is trash and the foreseeable future isn't looking good. ppl need to be absolutely sure before they move to an area culturally different from where they're from, with (potentially) higher unemployment, lower wages, etc.

like i have a friend that wants to move to nevada for the art scene because she has a friend from nevada that said it was dope.

i'm like . if it doesn't work out (and art is finicky) then what?? do you know what the unemployment rate is in nevada? 14.2%.
EXACTLY. Most CURRENT New Yorkers I know that visit the South, always SWEAR that there gonna move down here, and the there "tired of New York". And I think to myslef (Here comes another future whiner). I hope ALL the New Yorkers in Florida move back to NY and find happiness.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 PM

3,629 posts, read 2,690,878 times
Quote:

happens all the time.

Thanks for the effort put into this post. I agree with you after reading it. I like New Yorkers, but don't like the bashing that some of the NY transplants do. That's it. I am guilty of doing the same thing back in my past after moving from Miami to Nashville the first time. I was always talking about how much better things were in Miami blah, blah, blah. I realized that all I was doing was making myself miserable by not at least finding the positives about the place I had to live in after leaving the place I loved.

I also realized that no matter what you tell someone that if they have never been to the place you love or talk about constantly then they will get annoyed by what you say about it each time you bring it up and it becomes a turn off. Plus those people will never know what you mean anyways because they never lived there. So, if you are stuck it's ok to not 'love' the new town, but at the same time find positive things about it instead of putting everything down about it.

I had to move back to Nashville after being in Orlando for 10 years after losing my job and this time around things aren't as bad as when I was here before because I came with an open mind this time and willing to enjoy the good things about the area and ignore the things I didn't like. It doesn't mean you have to become a true Nashvillian or anywhere else you move to, but just enjoy your life when you can is all I'm saying because the bashing is unnecessary stress that is created by the person who is miserable in a place they don't like. You can always make a goal to move away some day if it's that bad.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM

8,040 posts, read 7,149,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You stayed there miserable for 40 years?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!I was thinking the same thing!!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM

24,942 posts, read 31,821,358 times
SF is bashed by Convervatives across the country. I personally have been the recipient of their little comments time and time again.

From Suburban NY to Orange County, CA(Sea to shining sea)....they really hate SF. LOL.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM

5,239 posts, read 4,361,428 times
Quote:

Good post; picking up and moving is not as easy as it seems..so many details, on top of the physical effort, and without any guarantees that the "new" place will be any better than the old one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City