Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
North & South Dakota get my respect. They are BOOMING states. Best economies in the country. Omaha, Nebraska has one of the best economies in the country too, Omaha economically is on fire, definitely one of the best up and coming cities, it's a booming city.

I don't know much about Kansas at all, just makes me think of Wizard of Oz.

I would say Wyoming = Most ignored state in the US.
Booming?

Population:
North Dakota: 1950: 619,636 - 2009: 646,844
South Dakota: 1950: 652,740 - 2009: 812,383
U.S. Population by State, 1790 to 2009 — Infoplease.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Booming?

Population:
North Dakota: 1950: 619,636 - 2009: 646,844
South Dakota: 1950: 652,740 - 2009: 812,383
U.S. Population by State, 1790 to 2009 — Infoplease.com
Yes, check their unemployment rates. Also they are investing into solar and wind energy jobs. Both Dakotas and Nebraska are booming states economically.

Omaha has added quite a lot of tech jobs lately and is expanding their economy.

Check the list, see which states are doing best by unemployment figures. Lol.

List of U.S. states by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those three states have the best economies in the country, and the only three economies by state that even impress me. The other 47 states look terrible right now.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Economically they are booming. You should see their unemployment rates.

One second let me pull it up. Brb.
Right, I saw a video someone posted several days ago that showed the upper Midwest as the best economic region in the nation. But if the population of these 2 states are almost the smallest in the country than how many job opportunities could there be for people moving there? North Dakota has had a total increase in population of 27,208 people in 60 years.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Right, I saw a video someone posted several days ago that showed the upper Midwest as the best economic region in the nation. But if the population of these 2 states are almost the smallest in the country than how many job opportunities could there be for people moving there? North Dakota has had a total increase in population of 27,208 people in 60 years.
For a state of it's size that's a very large number. Wyoming is actually the least populated state if my memory serves me right. Lol.

I wouldn't expect a state with less than a million to add a million in a decade. The larger a place is the larger the number it adds. They are getting there.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The South bashes EVERYWHERE. I don't think the NE bashes the West Coast states as much as the South does.

I most certainly don't. California, at least, desveres it's due recognition. I say that as a New Yorker.
Not true, at all.

The entire South is basically in constant defense mode around here, and gets bashed on a daily basis by many - especially by people from the Northeast.

You may not bash California, but you certainly can't claim the same when it comes to the South.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,986 times
I live in Alabama, and the whole world bashes my state. The sad thing is most of them have never stepped foot in Alabama, yet they claim to know everything about it. Also,most people in Alabama don't mention California ever, so claiming that all Southerners bash California is false. I do think some Southerners bash other states on here in defense. It gets old hearing how ignorant, racist, fat, and backwards we are.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM

The type of states you bash shows a lot about your inner personality. I can get into detail but will refrain myself from typing a long past about the characteristics of people that I feel bash a place and what they lack when it comes to basic comprehension and what kind of people they are.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
For Pittsburgh, it has mainly to do with sports rivalries. Basically, that means the entire state of Ohio plus the southern half of the Megalopolis (Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC). Buffalo, maybe. While the other regions I mentioned exhibit overt hatred, Buffalo seems to exhibit either simple annoyance or subdued resentment, at least from my experience.

I don't think people in Philly bash the burgh, nor are the sports rivalries very strong anymore. There is much more rivalry with NYC and DC from a sports perspective. I think Pittsburgh goes mostly under the radar from a philly perspective but most folks these days view it pretty well and like seeing the rebirth in the city.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
I live in Alabama, and the whole world bashes my state. The sad thing is most of them have never stepped foot in Alabama, yet they claim to know everything about it. Also,most people in Alabama don't mention California ever, so claiming that all Southerners bash California is false. I do think some Southerners bash other states on here in defense. It gets old hearing how ignorant, racist, fat, and backwards we are.
You make valid points in my opinion. Small or relatively under-populated states often get the least amount of respect whether that is justified or not. I think some of the bashing of Southern states also stems from political issues. So a somewhat small Southern state naturally get's a double whammy so to speak.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
States that have lower standards of overall education- That's about 46 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City