U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 17,408,853 times
Reputation: 5397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Do you honestly believe the nonsense you post?
I think you could put dog poop on some pizza dough, give it to some people telling them it was NY pizza and they would claim it was better than anything you could get elsewhere.

 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,657 posts, read 3,198,670 times
Reputation: 1837
It is not at all my experience that southerners are afraid of local joints. They are always the ones most packed out in my town, especially the ones downtown.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 17,408,853 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I wanted to compare 2 random towns in the northeast, midwest, and south. These are suburbs right outside NYC, Chicago, and Houston. I counted the amount of national chains (not restaurants that have a few locations)--
I used this site:
Restaurants in Elmont, NY on Yahoo! Local

NYC suburb (Elmont): 4/100 searched

Houston suburb (Pasadena): 26/100

Chicago suburb (Maywood): 4/100
Don't you mean you researched which towns met the outcome you wanted to reach and then used those towns?

And Pasadena has about 5-6 times the population of the 2 others according to city data
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
7,962 posts, read 16,769,780 times
Reputation: 6907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I wanted to compare 2 random towns in the northeast, midwest, and south. These are suburbs right outside NYC, Chicago, and Houston. I counted the amount of national chains (not restaurants that have a few locations)--
I used this site:
Restaurants in Elmont, NY on Yahoo! Local

NYC suburb (Elmont): 4/100 searched

Houston suburb (Pasadena): 26/100

Chicago suburb (Maywood): 4/100
But TANaples, herein lies the problem when you consider these three suburbs, population and square miles by town. Here are figures:

Elmont NY: 3.4 sq miles population 33,657
Maywood IL: 12.7 sq miles population 26,987
Pasadena TX: 44.5 sq miles population 141,674

Pasadena might have 6 times the amount of chains, but the city also has roughly 4 times the amount of people of Elmont and 5 times the amount of population of Maywood. Pasadena has 13 times the amount of land as Elmont, and 3.5 times the amount of land of Maywood. You have to compare towns based especially on population, and to a lesser degree, square mileage.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Plentiful" does not equal "better".
So the average Thai restaurant, or Vietnamese restaurant, in say, Mississippi, will be better than the average Thai or Vietnamese restaurant in the Northeast?

The average Italian restaurant, in Arkansas, will be better than the average Italian restaurant in the Northeast?

Really?

You see, MORE of something means more competition, so the restaurants will tend to be of a higher quality.

So if there are 3 or 4 Thai restaurants in a suburban town in NJ let's say, they will TEND to be of a higher quality because they MUST be, in order to get a significant market share (# of customers) to survive in the presence of the other competitive Thai restaurants nearby.

Compare that to say, Alabama, where in a suburban area, you may have one Thai restaurant within a 20 minute drive.

Don't forget that there are more people FROM Thailand in the Northeast than in Alabama. Ask yourself....which restaurants will be better?

Don't you see where I'm going with this?
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
12,994 posts, read 17,113,637 times
Reputation: 14300
I ate at the Plantation Buffet here in Athens yesterday, because it was pork chop day. The place is an all-you-can-eat Southern-style buffet in a shack, and the plates and utensils don't match, but the food is great!
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 2,038,592 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
So the average Thai restaurant, or Vietnamese restaurant, in say, Mississippi, will be better than the average Thai or Vietnamese restaurant in the Northeast?

The average Italian restaurant, in Arkansas, will be better than the average Italian restaurant in the Northeast?

Really?

You see, MORE of something means more competition, so the restaurants will tend to be of a higher quality.

So if there are 3 or 4 Thai restaurants in a suburban town in NJ let's say, they will TEND to be of a higher quality because they MUST be, in order to get a significant market share (# of customers) to survive in the presence of the other competitive Thai restaurants nearby.

Compare that to say, Alabama, where in a suburban area, you may have one Thai restaurant within a 20 minute drive.

Don't forget that there are more people FROM Thailand in the Northeast than in Alabama. Ask yourself....which restaurants will be better?

Don't you see where I'm going with this?
I think this has a significant factor in terms of ethnic food. I am guessing any regional disparity is related to the more homogenous food culture in the South relative to other areas with their ethnic neighborhoods.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think this has a significant factor in terms of ethnic food. I am guessing any regional disparity is related to the more homogenous food culture in the South relative to other areas with their ethnic neighborhoods.
Yes. Anybody who claims that such ethnic foods such as Italian, any kind of Asian, Middle eastern, etc, is just as good in the South as in the Northeast needs to see a psychiatrist. These ethnic groups are represented in powerful numbers in the Northeast, and not so much down south.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 614,270 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I never that they were in the city limits. I think that I said something like "I'm speaking for the region as a whole." Since you all want to do it by city limits though, let's go.

Atlanta 131 sq mi
Ruby Tuesday: 1
Applebee's: 2
Olive Garden: 0
Chili's: 8
Outback: 3
Cracker barrel: 0
Cheesecake Factory: 1


Doing it by population you have Atlanta with 9 chains/person, Houston with 1 chain/person Boston with 3 chains/person, and Philadelphia wichains/person
First off like I said before, I'm from 14th & Northside in West Midtown, while I love the entire state of Georgia, things that go on outside of the city limits, or the "Atlanta region" as you call it don't concern me as Im not from there. Second, where are you getting your info from? 8 Chili's and 3 Outbacks? The only Outback that I know of actually in the city limits is the one on Roswell in North Buckhead, and the only Chili's that I know of in the city is the one in Lindbergh Center. But yet you added 2 more Outbacks and 7 Chili's than there are actually in the city. Like where are these places? Is there some hidden block on Peachtree, Cascade or Ponce where these places exist that I don't know about?
 
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
12,994 posts, read 17,113,637 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yes. Anybody who claims that such ethnic foods such as Italian, any kind of Asian, Middle eastern, etc, is just as good in the South as in the Northeast needs to see a psychiatrist. These ethnic groups are represented in powerful numbers in the Northeast, and not so much down south.
It's like claiming that BBQ in the Northeast is just as good as it is in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top