Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's like claiming that BBQ in the Northeast is just as good as it is in the South.
Not sure if you're arguing with me or agreeing with me, but I will glady admit that there are many more BBQ places in the south than anywhere in the north. And since there is more competition in the south, the restaurants are of a higher quality.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Do you eat at the average of all the restaurants in an area?
Do the cooks get together with all the dishes, mix them together and then split them up again?
?? Then let's compare an exceptional Italian restaurant in the South with an exceptional Italian restaurant in the Northeast.

Please put homerism aside momentarily:

If you're telling me that you think an ethnic restaurant will not be of a higher quality IN an area with a high population of said ethnicity, than of a restaurant in an area with a LOW population of said ethnicty...then I'd have to start questioning your logic and/or sanity.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Yes I know what the website says, but like I just said, if you actually were familiar with Atlanta you would know that there are a ton of un-incorporated suburbs in surronding counties that have an Atlanta address, but yet are not in the city limits. That's just a product of rapid growth and sprawl. Since I'm using the Outback on Lavista as an example, go out there and get a house for example in that area, you may have an Atlanta address, but you will not be able to vote in city of Atlanta elections, nor will you receive city of Atlanta services as that area is not in the city limits of Atlanta. You will be in un-incorporated Dekalb County.
..and like I said before, even if you removed those the outcome would still be the same. I also said that the same criteria can be used in all of the cities I listed above.
If you're going to try to argue about it, at least make sure that you're arguing something that hasn't already been said or at least have an argument that will actually prove the opposite of what you're arguing against.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not sure, its just what you say though to generalize. the chains ARE better than the local hole in the walls. for the most part "cheap ethnic food" is not available near as much in the south as it is in the north, so chains are indeed better there. north has a bigger restaurant culture too, people in south often prefer eating at home. good restaurants DO exist but they are definitely pricey, there is not that much good cheap-mid range locally owned restaurants.
"People in the South often prefer eating at home" HaHa, Grapico, that has really changed. Maybe some other places but seldom do you find a restaurant not jammed full of people nowadays around here. I do believe nobody stays at home anymore much less cooks at home.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If you are in NYC and all you can find is an Applebee's, a Red Lobster, chinese, or 2 dirty diners you obviously aren't trying very hard....either that or you are just posting lies to make NYC look worse and the South look better. And as for the 40 minute wait at Applebees in NYC, I can guarantee that most of them were tourists from the South who are afraid to try local places and not NYC locals. Most Southerners when they vacation up north they will stick to the same chains they know back home...which I just don't understand.

I think it's so funny how people from outside the NYC area think NYers actually eat at these restaurants. There's a reason why these chains are in Times Square--TOURISTS. Nearly 90% of the people in Times square are tourists. NYC has to cater to their tastes. I can't tell you how many tourists I have met growing up in NYC who were afraid of trying the good mom and pop type restaurants, and ended up at the safe chains.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
?? Then let's compare an exceptional Italian restaurant in the South with an exceptional Italian restaurant in the Northeast.

Please put homerism aside momentarily:

If you're telling me that you think an ethnic restaurant will not be of a higher quality IN an area with a high population of said ethnicity, than of a restaurant in an area with a LOW population of said ethnicty...then I'd have to start questioning your logic and/or sanity.
I say the South is ahead of everybody else. I am not impressed or the least bit fazed by pretentious names like Paris or San Francisco. I want real food. Cooking that comes from the heart. Perfectly seasoned food served in an unassuming setting.

And Wal-Mart isn't usually found in rural areas. And it is common for rural restaurants to use local produce in their ingredients. My grandma, for example, uses fresh fruits grown right in the state of Georgia for her jelly preserves. And the catfish we would eat is the same ones we caught in the Savannah River.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
And Wal-Mart isn't usually found in rural areas. And it is common for rural restaurants to use local produce in their ingredients.
Isn't Wal-Mart more common in rural areas than urban? I can name many small towns where Wal-Mart is the only or main grocery and/or retail store.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Isn't Wal-Mart more common in rural areas than urban? I can name many small towns where Wal-Mart is the only or main grocery and/or retail store.

I think he's being totally sarcastic in his post and making fun of some of the southern posters here.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I think he's being totally sarcastic in his post and making fun of some of the southern posters here.
Oh, I see..

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeenp View Post
I don't think it's a southern thing. I think it's a city vs. suburb thing. Could also be an age thing. I have lived in a number of southern cities and none of them are chain central...hello...New orleans? The epitome of locally owned, charming restaurants. Head over to Metairie...chains everywhere...definitely a suburban thing.
Not quite. In the north, the suburbs is where you find most of your chain restaurants other than possibly touristy areas like Times Square. In the South, they dominate even the inner cities. Keep in mind this is downtown Houston, not Katy or Sugar Land...

Compare this to up north...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City