Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Actually, I have eaten at locally owned restaurants (truck stops mostly) in the South. The ribs at a Mom and Pop truck stop in Virginia were actually the best I have ever had. However, since I am not a Southerner I guess I don't count.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Some people born, raised, and lived their young adulthood in NY and then moved South and suddendly think they are Southerners. That is absurd. That is what some of us have issue with.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's no different from all the Southerners who stick with Cici's and Pizza Hut and think it's real pizza, or think that Olive Garden is real Italian food...they just don't know any better.
Yea. Its fake pizza. Southerners don't understand the difference between plastic, and bread,tomato sauce, cheese, etc. Cultural difference i guess!

Honestly though, pizza hut is great.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
No, you could just go to the Applebee's in Queens and wait 30-40 minutes just like I am sure many of the residents of the area do.

Unless you for some reason now think that Queens is vastly different from The Bronx.

ahahahahahah!!!

See, I can do that to but don't feel it adds anything to my post.
i'ma vouch for queens on this one. ppl aren't flocking to applebee's over mom and pop restaurants. they just aren't.

do chain restaurants exist? yes. are they seeing the numbers/play that they would in the south? na.

is this thread based on some truth? from MY exp of the south, yes, it is. there is a difference in where ppl are likely to eat out at if you're talking north vs south.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yea. Its fake pizza. Southerners don't understand the difference between plastic, and bread,tomato sauce, cheese, etc. Cultural difference i guess!

Honestly though, pizza hut is great.

No, but NYers are able to tell the difference between jar sauce used for the pizza sauce and homemade sauce, and we can tell how fresh the ingredients used are. Big difference between fresh mozzarella and store bought packaged. Also, the local NY water is what "makes" the pizza. Not only that, but fresh ingredients. The local pizzeria here in Florida doesn't even use mozzarella. They don't know how to make pizza down here.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Some people born, raised, and lived their young adulthood in NY and then moved South and suddendly think they are Southerners. That is absurd. That is what some of us have issue with.
And then some people could have lived in both areas and have a good understanding of both and don't post biased views just because they are unhappy where they are.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'ma vouch for queens on this one. ppl aren't flocking to applebee's over mom and pop restaurants. they just aren't.

do chain restaurants exist? yes. are they seeing the numbers/play that they would in the south? na.

is this thread based on some truth? from MY exp of the south, yes, it is. there is a difference in where ppl are likely to eat out at if you're talking north vs south.
So then it is just that one Applebee's in the Bronx that the locals go to. OK

Here's a clue, if the demand did not exist for them they would not exist and there are at least 31 Applebee's in NYC.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No, but NYers are able to tell the difference between jar sauce used for the pizza sauce and homemade sauce, and we can tell how fresh the ingredients used are. Big difference between fresh mozzarella and store bought packaged. Also, the local NY water is what "makes" the pizza. Not only that, but fresh ingredients. The local pizzeria here in Florida doesn't even use mozzarella. They don't know how to make pizza down here.
Please tell me what percentage of pizza shops in NYC you think use homemade sauce.

This should be good for a laugh.

And do they use cheddar cheese on pizza in Florida?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
I work at a pizza shop in Florida called Marco's. We use mozzarella cheese and make our pizza's from scratch. And this isn't a mom and pop restaurant either but it's not as fake/commercialized as say a Domino's or Pizza Hut.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Default Pizza in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please tell me what percentage of pizza shops in NYC you think use homemade sauce.

This should be good for a laugh.

And do they use cheddar cheese on pizza in Florida?
Crust like a cracker (pun intended). It cannot be folded in half without breaking in half. PAINTED with sauce and cheese. Celeste is better than pizza places in Florida.

It doesn't take a GENIUS to make sauce. It is even CHEAPER than buying bottled stuff. You buy a great big can of tomatoes, put garlic, onion, oregano, etc. Forget it. I seriously don't think Mom and Pop pizza restaurants in NY are buying RAGU to make their sauce. Take that from an ITALIAN/AMERICAN. It is not difficult. Hell, maybe I SHOULD open a pizza store in Naples. This place is an insult to it's name, and yes, my family IS from Naples, ITALY, originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City