Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Huh , we have alot of local and Family owned Restaurants and Diners. Were the Diner capital of the US. More then 9,000 Diners dot the state.
That's what he is saying -- his friend who is moving to NJ fears the notion of an abundance of locally owned eateries, rather than chains (chain being the preference, being that he is a southerner).

Old 08-10-2010, 09:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I understand that point but my philosophy is the exact opposite. When I'm in an area I'm not familiar with, I get excited about trying the local food there. I'll check yelp or another foodie website to get suggestions, or if I don't have the time to do that, just walk out and find something. Sometimes I'm disappointed (rarely), but more often than not I find something really good and I'm glad for the experience. It's like making a discovery.
I'm the same way. If I'm in a new place I'd much rather eat at a local independent restaurant rather than rely on the local Chilis. I've definitely settled for chains in the past, but I'd prefer the locals. Is there a chance the food will suck? Of course...but who wants to live so safely? At the very least you'll end up with a story: "Well I ate at this hole in the wall in Townsville, USA and it sucked balls. I had to drink ten beers just to get the taste of rotting catfish out of my mouth!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Personally, I'm quite disappointed about that. The newly developing cities are being taken over by chains/fast food restaurants. I'm not sayin they don't have any good home style cookin or that they don't have a fair share of independent eateries, but you get the point.
Well think about it this way: the newly developing cities are growing at an alarming rate. Towns that were 15,000 people fifteen years ago are now 50,000 people. There are probably plenty of small, local independents in the area but they're geared to serve a smaller population. In these metros, there is great demand for major retail expansions. Major retail expansions are going to be done by corporations like Simon Property Group.

I'm sure these major corporations have strong business relationships with other (KFC, McD, Taco Bell, BK, Chilis, Applebees, Outback, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc, etc), so these other major chains will have a huge upper hand over Ma Kettle and her idea for a "cook your own pizza" shop. Not to mention that these major chains have enough capital to commit to a lease before a new mall is even completed...at the same time an independent would be forced into taking out a high-interest loan. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that these major companies will make multi-site commitments...meaning if they sign on to a lease in a mall in Atlanta, they'll also be required to open restaurants at new sites in Boston, the Bay Area, Phoenix, etc. (you get the idea).

Unfortunately with these type of business practices, independents don't stand much of a chance in the ultra-popular mall developments.

For some reason it reminds me of the Simpsons quote:

"We just created the greatest democracy in the world, you low-life commoner!"

Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
I certainly have no problem finding more independent places vs chains where I live, including LOADS of ethnic places. The generalizations being tossed around are pretty ridiculous.

Folks, despite what many of you seem to believe, the South is NOT monolithic.
Atlanta magazine Dining

Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I certainly have no problem finding more independent places vs chains where I live, including LOADS of ethnic places. The generalizations being tossed around are pretty ridiculous.

Folks, despite what many of you seem to believe, the South is NOT monolithic.
Atlanta magazine Dining
I think most of us understand that -- but you have to understand that RELATIVE to cities in the north, the south IS kind of monolithic. Relative being the key word.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I think most of us understand that -- but you have to understand that RELATIVE to cities in the north, the south IS kind of monolithic. Relative being the key word.
Sorry, but I disagree. The suburbs of both are starting to look almost identical when it comes to this subject.

And that really goes for the entire country anymore, not just the North & South.

I can't even remember the last time I ate in a chain place, and that includes my region of the South, Central Florida and greater L.A.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. The suburbs of both are starting to look almost identical when it comes to this subject.

And that really goes for the entire country anymore, not just the North & South.

I can't even remember the last time I ate in a chain place, and that includes my region of the South, Central Florida and greater L.A.
If you don't think that the Northeast has a much wider and more diverse selection of dining options, then there is obviously a disconnect, or we have had entirely different experiences altogether.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I live in Dallas and I cant remember the time I ate at a chain restaurant for a sit down dinner. We have lots of non-chains and ethnic restaurants that are better, so we never go.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
If you don't think that the Northeast has a much wider and more diverse selection of dining options, then there is obviously a disconnect, or we have had entirely different experiences altogether.
I admit that I am probably very spoiled due to nothing more than living where I do. There is absolutely nothing lacking in our dining scene here.

I realize that Atlanta does not represent the entire region, but the same can be said for the Northeast. If you are counting the fact that you live in the New York metro, that's great but it hardly represents the entire region either. No disconnect here, with the exception of you perhaps not having enough experience with this outside of your own metro.

I have no problem finding good food from non-chain restaurants no matter where I travel - in every region of the U.S.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I don't see this at all. There are scads of locally-owned restaurants in the South. You just need to ask; it's been my experience that Southerners are more than happy to guide you to their favorite restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
People will try to use anything to categorize and separate regions.
Or to make themselves feel better about where they live by criticizing places where they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
but I seem to have no problem driving down a road and seeing independents.
Nor I. They're just not going to be on the most heavily-traveled suburban corners, or on the outlots at the malls.

Quote:
It's a cultural thing. Chains are a way of life in the Midwest and in the South.
You've obviously never been to the Midwest or to the South.

Quote:
To be brutally honest, it's a big reason why Northerners perceive the South to be relatively culture-less.
Golly, and do you suppose there's a big reason why some people in the South or Midwest may perceive Northerners as classless snobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And the random generalizations with no basis in truth are some of the reasons some southerners dislike some northerners.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Haha, hilarious, if I was forced to move to the South I'd be terrified of the notion of eating out at nothing BUT chains.

It's a cultural thing. Chains are a way of life in the Midwest and in the South. Frankly it depresses the hell out of me when I have to travel to those places.

To be brutally honest, it's a big reason why Northerners perceive the South to be relatively culture-less.
I strongly disagree with you. I'm a native Midwesterner who has lived in the South (and in the NE), and I have had absolutely no problems living a life in those places that doesn't involve chains. There's nothing regional about this. I've also seen lots and lots of chains in the North, so to suggest that it's somehow a southern thing just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately chains are very popular across the entire country, but all parts of the country, regionally speaking, have long established local food traditions and restaurants, too. I have a very difficult time believing that you're having such a problem finding them when you travel, unless you're staying out in a new suburb, as those are the areas -- in ALL regions of the country -- where you're more likely to find chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City