U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 37 33.64%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 15 13.64%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 40 36.36%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 18 16.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
rah

3,086 posts, read 4,819,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Rappers are not noble. They all want to blow up and have the same degree of success as Soldja Boy and all those other fools.
Not everyone is the same, even rappers. Yeah plenty aren't noble, including here in the bay area, like anywhere else...except that in the Bay Area, you're often considered lame or a sell out if you sign to a major label. Why would you want to put all your work and money in to the hands of someone else who could care less about you? That's a main reason why people don't get signed here...they don't want to be chumps who are slaves to corporate douches who are only thinking about their own paychecks. There are plenty of very talented rappers in the bay, and if you actually listened to bay music you would know it. In addition to that stigma, plenty of rappers here don't NEED a record deal to have success anyways, when they get all the money they could want from rapping/hustling/selling drugs, etc, etc. Gangster rap is truly deeply ingrained into the thug world here, and a lot of those guys are/were making money in illegitimate ways, trust me. Plus, we've already explained the selling tapes out of the trunk thing...you can also try walking down Market Street in SF: If you look anything like a hip hop fan, it will be a rare day that you don't get hit up by at least one person trying to sell you their album on the sidewalk. Rappers here hustle nonstop and are also pretty conscious of how big record companies screw artists over. This is all why rappers here don't generally get signed. Consciousness of record company bull****, plus a desire for your money that you earned yourself, to go straight into your own pocket...and no one else's.

People like you are what's wrong with hip-hop. Of course almost EVERYONE in any field would love to be as rich and famous as possible, and for plenty of people, money/power/fame is their motivator. But that's not a primary motive for plenty more folks, which i think you should probably realize. Bay Area rappers KNOW they most likely won't make it big nationally anyways, no matter how talented and that they won't become insanely rich (because almost no one here is willing to bow down artistically/monetarily to record company desires...and really you'll only become truly rich if you're the record companies ***** for an extended period of time, too). But there are still hundreds of rappers in the Bay, and new ones get born everyday. Why is that then, if its all ONLY about making as much money as possible? Many rappers here are sufficiently rich off of their own music or their own music + doing some illicit stuff...the rest are pretty broke, and/or have a day job to make most of their money. Yet they still rap. No wonder you hate on the Bay Area. It seems that to you, fame above all else is proof of talent.

Also EVEN though Bay Area artists are independent and lesser known, you can still sometimes see Bay Area music videos on MTV. Obviously people elsewhere do like Bay music, if it's able to make it to TV...and with no major record label backing it up either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

6,810 posts, read 6,107,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I second that. Nobody from the West Coast is making good music right now. For example let's take cali district with the song teach me how to dougie, everybody want to immitate soldja boy.

sigh... whats the point of arguing with people who apparently believe that the buck stops with the radio. Ever heard:

Nipsey Hussle - Kush & Haze

The Jacka - Aspen

I'm not even going to post anything else because obviously the answer is no.

And the east coast (namely NY) wonders why the rest of the US thinks it's stuck on itself. Even in something as subjective as music, yall do the same tired arguments... lol.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,225,042 times
All this "which coast is best"/"which city is best" nonsense is what hurts hip-hop more than helps it. Collaboration is what moves an art forward, conflict does nothing but destroy it.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Not everyone is the same, even rappers. Yeah plenty aren't noble, including here in the bay area, like anywhere else...except that in the Bay Area, you're often considered lame or a sell out if you sign to a major label. Why would you want to put all your work and money in to the hands of someone else who could care less about you? That's a main reason why people don't get signed here...they don't want to be chumps who are slaves to corporate douches who are only thinking about their own paychecks. There are plenty of very talented rappers in the bay, and if you actually listened to bay music you would know it. In addition to that stigma, plenty of rappers here don't NEED a record deal to have success anyways, when they get all the money they could want from rapping/hustling/selling drugs, etc, etc. Gangster rap is truly deeply ingrained into the thug world here, and a lot of those guys are/were making money in illegitimate ways, trust me. Plus, we've already explained the selling tapes out of the trunk thing...you can also try walking down Market Street in SF: If you look anything like a hip hop fan, it will be a rare day that you don't get hit up by at least one person trying to sell you their album on the sidewalk. Rappers here hustle nonstop and are also pretty conscious of how big record companies screw artists over. This is all why rappers here don't generally get signed. Consciousness of record company bull****, plus a desire for your money that you earned yourself, to go straight into your own pocket...and no one else's.

People like you are what's wrong with hip-hop. Of course almost EVERYONE in any field would love to be as rich and famous as possible, and for plenty of people, money/power/fame is their motivator. But that's not a primary motive for plenty more folks, which i think you should probably realize. Bay Area rappers KNOW they most likely won't make it big nationally anyways, no matter how talented and that they won't become insanely rich (because almost no one here is willing to bow down artistically/monetarily to record company desires...and really you'll only become truly rich if you're the record companies ***** for an extended period of time, too). But there are still hundreds of rappers in the Bay, and new ones get born everyday. Why is that then, if its all ONLY about making as much money as possible? Many rappers here are sufficiently rich off of their own music or their own music + doing some illicit stuff...the rest are pretty broke, and/or have a day job to make most of their money. Yet they still rap. No wonder you hate on the Bay Area. It seems that to you, fame above all else is proof of talent.

Also EVEN though Bay Area artists are independent and lesser known, you can still sometimes see Bay Area music videos on MTV. Obviously people elsewhere do like Bay music, if it's able to make it to TV...and with no major record label backing it up either.

Don't waste your time... they won't get it.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 3,935,584 times
um, you try being from a city that owned rap from 1979-2004 and see if you don't think ppl from whatever other region talking about rap like they forgot about 20+ years worth are crazy.

ny is not stuck on itself here. i'm not gonna ask your age but anybody in their mid 20's and above will remember east coast and its dominance regardless of where they lived in the 90s.

also, you're talking to nyers. we are the creators of the mixtape. of course its bigger than radio/tv and of course we are aware of the mixtape scene.

we really don't want to talk about the mixtape scene with ny...the entire g unit radio series, diplomats vol. 1-5, the a team stuff, the d block tapes, etc. is more than enough to carry ny in a debate.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
raekwon already blew up tho so there's no need to mention him. you say you're in hs so you're probably too young to remember the wu movement, singles, and solo albums. rae already had the plat records, the fame, the fortune, etc. whatever he does now is icing on the cake. he can do those things. he's a pioneer and a legend.

kinda like snoop hopping on a song with katy perry. oh but you don't wanna mention that tho huh?

YouTube - Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls ( Official Music Video ) HD

all of the rappers i mentioned went plat (or in the case of old school rappers where gold was like going plat, they all had impact on the game nationwide) and were on countdowns nationwide. again, you're probably too young to remember when a lot of these songs came out so you don't remember their impact on the game.

Snoop Dogg has always been mainstream. He helped pioneer a lot of those mainstream R&B crossovers anyway.

And what's your point with sales? If you're trying to say that NY had an effect on the rest of the country's music, not really... outside of the late 80's and very early 90's, the rest of the country's been having a much larger influence on NYC.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
rah

3,086 posts, read 4,819,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Don't waste your time... they won't get it.
yeah that's what sucks about it. THEY'RE FROM NEW YORK THEREFORE THEY'RE ALWAYS RIGHT, OH NO, I FORGOT. I almost never hear west coast people hating on east coast rap, but i always hear the opposite...hell i grew up listening to east coast stuff as well as west coast stuff. Some New Yorkers just can't handle being on even ground with these other "lowly" cities i guess.

Hopefully at least one of them will eventually have an opening in their abnormally dense skull though, and then they'll actually see that we're not some retarded tone-deaf squares from the 5th dimension. We just like good music. East coast and west coast are good, but for some of us, west is even better. Just like for some of us the east is even better. Some even only like rap from one region, fine, that's their opinion. Why some people have to take it farther and then make claims that an entire region's rap sucks just because THEY said so though, i don't know.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
um, you try being from a city that owned rap from 1979-2004 and see if you don't think ppl from whatever other region talking about rap like they forgot about 20+ years worth are crazy.

ny is not stuck on itself here. i'm not gonna ask your age but anybody in their mid 20's and above will remember east coast and its dominance regardless of where they lived in the 90s.

also, you're talking to nyers. we are the creators of the mixtape. of course its bigger than radio/tv and of course we are aware of the mixtape scene.

we really don't want to talk about the mixtape scene with ny...the entire g unit radio series, diplomats vol. 1-5, the a team stuff, the d block tapes, etc. is more than enough to carry ny in a debate.

This is exactly what I'm talking about... in any other genre of music, we wouldn't be talking about which region "owned" the scene. We could talk about which scene was more prolific, but that would be a moot point since the west coast is easily as prolific as the east. As for quality... I could say that east coast music by and large has sucked for the last couple of years, but what would be the point of that? It's no less valid of an argument than the ones yall are making but obviously something is stopping yall from seeing that. My money's on the superiority complex.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 3,935,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

And what's your point with sales? If you're trying to say that NY had an effect on the rest of the country's music, not really... outside of the late 80's and very early 90's, the rest of the country's been having a much larger influence on NYC.
i'm done here.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,211,355 times
although this is a east vs west thread
midwest(currently) >>>>

chicago(and surrounding) up and coming artists
freddie gibbs-gary ind.

YouTube - Freddie Gibbs "The Ghetto" OFFICIAL HQ UNCENSORED Music Video

l.e.p.-s.side/ickeys homes

YouTube - L.E.P. Bogus Boys - Ginger

Ace Mac - logan square humboldt park

YouTube - Ace Mac- Somebody Gotta Die*NEW*

Paypa - chicago/west side

YouTube - Paypa - I Believe

and many many more but back to topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City