U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 37 33.64%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 15 13.64%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 40 36.36%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 18 16.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

3,560 posts, read 4,527,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Why'd they close the Midwest & South one?
Yes please, Why did they close the midwest & south one? We were just sharing music???????!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,233,242 times
Seriously wtf?

Bogus

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,728,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yes please, Why did they close the midwest & south one? We were just sharing music???????!!!!
Because it's city data.......enough said.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM

1,363 posts, read 1,813,530 times
Quote:
what were you saying about rap music where you're from again?
More words of wisdom from someone who doesn't even know what the world outside of NYC looks like. I don't want to hear any opinions about West Coast rap from some one who has never seen life west of the Hudson. I've lived on both coasts and I have a right to talk about both coasts.

I'm from the Golden State. You know, the place where all your rappers get their lingo, and fake Blood/Crip shtick from. In fact, my hood in Lakeview created familiar lingo that I've heard East Coasters imitate from what Down South rappers have uttered. For example, my hood in Cali spawned the phrase "What's up Pimpin'". And the funny thing about it is that the Bay Area never had to rely on corporate record sales or mainstream exposure to gain such widespread cultural influence. If y'all East Coasters ever went to Cali, you clowns would throw on khakis and Chucks and start Crip walking and twisting up your fingers into W's. But don't do that in The Bay because we don't play that paint-by-numbers color coded Blood/Crip gang banger sh*t that NYers, East Coasters and Down South cats think is so cool.

I'ma let Cellski tell you where I'm from:

Quote:
rap music where i'm from only carried popular music throughout the 90's and led record sales.
rap music where i'm from only defined a generation.
Yeah, but because of corporate record sales to an over 70% White male suburban audience that buys records from Best Buy and watched your videos on MTV, your songs are the soundtrack to suburban teenage Whiteboy rage which significantly lessens the value of your music. "Shook Ones" and "C.R.E.A.M." are angry Whiteboy anthems. "The young Black youth" original target audience for Public Enemy, KRS-One, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Boot Camp and Nas songs would rather listen to OJ da Juiceman and Gucci Mane because Black kids know that 90's New York music is mostly for well-to-due White folks 30 and older. FAIL. Read about the people who really appreciate 90's New York music here:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...en-to-anymore/

If New york rappers have such good business sense, then why are East Coast executives just getting hip to the independent game that made Bay Area rappers like Too $hort and E-40 rich for nearly 30 years! The East Coast is late! We've been eating lovely off of our own independent scratch and not sucking White corporate d*ck. Look at Dame Dash talking about the importance of being an independent artist here:

Video: Dame Dash Gives Currensy & Asher Roth Words Of Wisdom! Says Rocafella & Ruff Ryders Shouldve Made Albums Together, How Rappers Need To Stick Together & Not Needing Major Labels

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-04-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,813,530 times
Quote:
Third, the West Coast is no longer relevant in the hip hop scene. I mean, it's like totally irrelevant. The West Side had a good run, but East Coast trends and music dominate the West Coast. Those fitted caps they used to don from Oakland to Paris started in Philadelphia. As did the Timbaland Boot. As did the throwback jersey. As did Dickie's. Y'all love our style and mimic it...much more than we mimic the West.
I know a lot of squares on here will argue that Hip Hop has nothing to do with fashion, but it does. First of all, you from D.C. Don't make me air you out. D.C. thinks they are fly, but they are not. No one from other cities wears Solbiato, We R One, Bondacci or any other of those garbage brands y'all sport in the District. I remember when I first moved to Maryland, D.C. cats were rocking cut off shorts, socks to their knees, Bugs Bunny/Warner Brother shirts, Sparkly snap back hats, t-shirts with hoods attached to them and the ugliest Nike foamposites that look like moonboots. Y'all are funny style! D.C. has stepped it up a little recently with Wale, but still...

San Francisco was ranked number two or three on the Most Stylish cities in America list for Travel and Leisure Magazine and number nine internationally by Forbes magazine. We all know New York gets fresh, but to say that the Bay doesn't get fly is not true. All that Dickies and Chucks is a Cali stereotype you picked up from watching Snoop on MTV Jams. The Bay Area has never lacked swagger. The Bay was the cornerstone of the pimp movement for God's sake, of course we get fly. Yeah, the Bay has people who can and can't dress just like every other city. Peep this throwback Too $hort video from 89'. Look at Mark Curry in the beginning sporting the O.G. True Blue Jordan 3's with the "Nike Air" logo on the back of the heel. A pair of those in mint condition from 1988 will cost at least 10-20 stacks today. Look at Too $hort rocking that clean ass silky green Oakland A's Starter Jacket (I had that jacket when I was a kid) and the fitted Varsity jacket with the leather sleeves. If you don't think any of this is fly, you are probably an uncool old dude or someone who cannot dress themselves. Every cool guy rapper from the Cool Kids to Wale to Kanye West spends assloads of money and time trying to rehash these classic looks.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-04-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 03:13 PM

7,826 posts, read 9,536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
More words of wisdom from someone who doesn't even know what the world outside of NYC looks like. I don't want to hear any opinions about West Coast rap from some one who has never seen life west of the Hudson. I've lived on both coasts and I have a right to talk about both coasts.

I'm from the Golden State. You know, the place where all your rappers get their lingo, and fake Blood/Crip shtick from. In fact, my hood in Lakeview created familiar lingo that I've heard East Coasters imitate from what Down South rappers have uttered. For example, my hood in Cali spawned the phrase "What's up Pimpin'". And the funny thing about it is that the Bay Area never had to rely on corporate record sales or mainstream exposure to gain such widespread cultural influence. If y'all East Coasters ever went to Cali, you clowns would throw on khakis and Chucks and start Crip walking and twisting up your fingers into W's. But don't do that in The Bay because we don't play that paint-by-numbers color coded Blood/Crip gang banger sh*t that NYers, East Coasters and Down South cats think is so cool.

I'ma let Cellski tell you where I'm from:

Yeah, but because of corporate record sales to an over 70% White male suburban audience that buys records from Best Buy and watched your videos on MTV, your songs are the soundtrack to suburban teenage Whiteboy rage which significantly lessens the value of your music. "Shook Ones" and "C.R.E.A.M." are angry Whiteboy anthems. "The young Black youth" original target audience for Public Enemy, KRS-One, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Boot Camp and Nas songs would rather listen to OJ da Juiceman and Gucci Mane because Black kids know that 90's New York music is mostly for well-to-due White folks 30 and older. FAIL. Read about the people who really appreciate 90's New York music here:

#116 Black Music that Black People Don’t Listen to Anymore Stuff White People Like

If New york rappers have such good business sense, then why are East Coast executives just getting hip to the independent game that made Bay Area rappers like Too $hort and E-40 rich for nearly 30 years! The East Coast is late! We've been eating lovely off of our own independent scratch and not sucking White corporate d*ck. Look at Dame Dash talking about the importance of being an independent artist here:

Video: Dame Dash Gives Currensy & Asher Roth Words Of Wisdom! Says Rocafella & Ruff Ryders Shouldve Made Albums Together, How Rappers Need To Stick Together & Not Needing Major Labels
O_o

Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM

654 posts, read 711,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
you postin rick ross songs in a "east coast and west coast" hip hop thread you tard.
lol "jacki-o freestyle".. "ace hood lollipop" wtf? look at the horse sht u listen to hahahah what self respecting man would post a jacki-o video smh

YouTube - Jaz-O Ft The Game - Gangstas Ride + Lyrics
Like I said earlier before my post was deleted, I listen to horse -ish? With your basic arse music. I'm not even a man by the way you poc.

This site never ceases to amaze me, I get personally attacked then return it right back but my post gets deleted.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 PM

654 posts, read 711,731 times
@GoldenChild: Nobody's jocking the West Coast either, why you feel that way idk. The West isn't the place with independent artists making money, you just trying to go in for no reason and not really making any sense. The stuff I heard from E-40 doesn't appeal to me at all, he went kind of commercial too so I guess he "sold out", and I hate to say it but Too Short is passed his prime. I have a lot of respect for the West but what you're trying to do isn't even necessary.

The East does the East and the West does the West.

Last edited by N130; 09-04-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM

6,915 posts, read 6,768,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
@GoldenChild: Nobody's jocking the West Coast either, why you feel that way idk. The West isn't the place with independent artists making money, you just trying to go in for no reason and not really making any sense. The stuff I heard from E-40 doesn't appeal to me at all, he went kind of commercial too so I guess he "sold out", and I hate to say it but Too Short is passed his prime. I have a lot of respect for the West but what you're trying to do isn't even necessary.

The East does the East and the West does the West.

Because there's only two rappers in the Bay Area.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM

6,915 posts, read 6,768,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
O_o

He's talking about rappers like Lil Wayne and Jim Jones who claim Su-Woop when everybody knows they're not. The only crip rapper in NY that actually banged crip was Fabolous but NY crips are fake anyway.

Not to say that there aren't fake crips and bloods in the bay too... the only crips up here are asian and tongan crips. Why the **** is Messy Marv suddenly claiming blood when he's from Eddy St? Why is Guce claiming blood? WTF did they even have to gain from it when they were already rich and respected in the bay?

His main point, though, is that CA in general gets bitten A LOT by other places. The reverse is also true but not in the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City