Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,277 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data. I'm recently got two job offers, one in Naperville and one in San Francisco. I'm getting around 25% more in San Francisco, but the cost of living there is a lot higher.

Which area is better for me, especially as an Indian male. Are both areas OK for someone who's Indian? Is one better than the other?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 PM

104 posts, read 97,415 times
I'd say take the job in San Francisco. Naperville is a suburb of Chicago, if you are single then Naperville is not where you want to be; you want to live in the city. The city is 45+ minutes away from Naperville, depending on the mode of transportation. I can tell you from experience, a reverse commute is usually not something you want to do.

While both cities are very diverse culturally, San Francisco is much more cosmopolitan. I lived in Chicago for a number of years and still own property there. Both cities have their pros and cons and while I love Chicago and consider it home, I say go for San Francisco.

Last edited by vb808; 09-25-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,080,068 times
I would agree, for the most part.

Naperville is very suburban, and not particularly close to Chicago.

You do have to balance that against budget. I don't think that 25% more money is going to justify the cost of living differential between San Francisco and the Chicago area. So there is that tradeoff.

Chicago itself is very cosmopolitan. Naperville, not so much.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:03 AM

36,631 posts, read 67,212,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit786 View Post
Hello City-Data. I'm recently got two job offers, one in Naperville and one in San Francisco. I'm getting around 25% more in San Francisco, but the cost of living there is a lot higher.

Which area is better for me, especially as an Indian male. Are both areas OK for someone who's Indian? Is one better than the other?
What exactly about being an Indian male in these cities concerns you?

I dont get it.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:16 PM

373 posts, read 365,130 times
I don't recall see any East Indians in the San Francisco. I spent one day in that city. Also spent time in San Jose and I can't say I say one (Dec 2014.). If you want more East Indians then I say Chicago and reverse commute maybe find a midway point. If you are homosexual then maybe San Fran might be best. It would be best to visit yourself even if you need to spend big bucks on a plane ticket quickly.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,584,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post

You do have to balance that against budget. I don't think that 25% more money is going to justify the cost of living differential between San Francisco and the Chicago area. So there is that tradeoff.
It depends what the starting point is. If it's 25% more than lets say, $50,000 (base), definitely not. If it's 25% more than $200,000 (base): you have to be absolutely horrible with your money to not take that. I don't care what city it is, if you can't survive on $250,000/year, you're an idiot.

Quote:
I don't recall see any East Indians in the San Francisco. I spent one day in that city. Also spent time in San Jose and I can't say I say one (Dec 2014.). If you want more East Indians then I say Chicago and reverse commute maybe find a midway point. If you are homosexual then maybe San Fran might be best. It would be best to visit yourself even if you need to spend big bucks on a plane ticket quickly.
The Bay Area has the 2nd largest population of East Indians in the country.

It's one thing to say you didn't see any in SF (most don't live there - but a lot work there), but San Jose? Really? They even have more Asian Indians than Chicago alone in raw numbers, a city that's 3x the size of San Jose.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:28 PM

373 posts, read 365,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post

The Bay Area has the 2nd largest population of East Indians in the country.

It's one thing to say you didn't see any in SF (most don't live there - but a lot work there), but San Jose? Really? They even have more Asian Indians than Chicago alone in raw numbers, a city that's 3x the size of San Jose.
He asked about San Fran not the entire bay area. San Fran has like 1% Indians. Santa Clara has plenty of Indians not San Jose. I was near the airport in San Jose, so I am not sure if that played a big part. Considerings its Silicon Valley I was expecting to see much more.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,096,597 times
lol I feel like he thinks he was going to the zoo or something and an animal he wanted to see was missing

Old 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,584,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
He asked about San Fran not the entire bay area. San Fran has like 1% Indians.
So people never leave the city their in on a daily basis? Is that what you're saying?

Not to mention he didn't even ask about Chicago, but Naperville. So....yeah...

Quote:
Santa Clara has plenty of Indians not San Jose. I was near the airport in San Jose, so I am not sure if that played a big part. Considerings its Silicon Valley I was expecting to see much more.
Huh?

American FactFinder - Results

Chicago Asian Indians: 39,337

San Jose Asian Indians: 63,856
Fremont Asian Indians (Bay Area suburb accessible to SF by BART): 53,469

By comparison

Santa Clara Asian Indians: 19,371

Two Bay Area municipalities ALONE have more Asian Indians than Chicago's city limits.

In terms of areas of a whole, the Bay Area has 359,000 Asian Indians and Chicago area has 220,000 Asian Indians. If you didn't see any Asian Indians in the Bay Area, then you really didn't go to very many places.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What exactly about being an Indian male in these cities concerns you?

I dont get it.
The fact that Chicago's Indian population is pathetically small, and the region is known for it's racism and segregation may have something to do with it.

Obviously the bay is superior to Chicagoland every regard(sans hotdogs, pizza, and rent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City