Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 43 33.59%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 19 14.84%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 44 34.38%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 22 17.19%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And? Bay rappers make their music for the bay. If the rest of the country happens to like it, they'll like it. If they don't, they don't. Bay rappers aint broke so obviously they must be doing something right.
don't be so defensive. i'm just telling it like it is. you made several posts about bay area music not getting play here and i'm telling you why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You've made a lot of good posts +1

If one thing is clear, it's that Bay Area hip hop is way underrated outside of the Bay Area...especially on the east coast. It makes sense though when you consider the fact that 99% of our truly talented rappers (or any of our rappers, really) are either independent, or died before they could sign a record deal/make it big on their own...this seems to be a problem in the Bay actually: Hitman and Mr. Cee from RBL posse, Tha Dangla, O.C. Dre, Seagram, Cougnut, Rappin Ron, Mac Dre, Jonny Cash, Pretty Black, etc. A lot of our rappers are really involved in the gangster stuff they rap about, thus they tend to have shorter life spans than your average studio-gangsta rappers, i guess.

Here's a sample of San Francisco hip-hop from 1989-1999 (SF alone, nothing from the rest of the Bay Area) for you guys. i know it's a lot of videos but if you truly want to start educating yourself on the type of hip hop that comes out of the bay area, i would watch them all:

Nice post... here's some you forgot though:

Deco D - High Till I Die

Herm - I Smell Jealousy

UDI - It's Goin Down

Dre Dog - The Ave

Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
don't be so defensive. i'm just telling it like it is. you made several posts about bay area music not getting play here and i'm telling you why it doesn't.

And I'm telling you why bay rappers aren't trying to get spins out in the east coast... they make their music for the bay. Raekwon made his first album for his people (thus why its called Only Built 4 Cuban Linx)... same with bay rappers.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
It makes sense though when you consider the fact that 99% of our truly talented rappers (or any of our rappers, really) are either independent, or died before they could sign a record deal/make it big on their own...this seems to be a problem in the Bay actually: Hitman and Mr. Cee from RBL posse, Tha Dangla, O.C. Dre, Seagram, Cougnut, Rappin Ron, Mac Dre, Jonny Cash, Pretty Black, etc. A lot of our rappers are really involved in the gangster stuff they rap about, thus they tend to have shorter life spans than your average studio-gangsta rappers, i guess.

Add King Freako, Chunk and The Mac to that list. RIP

Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And I'm telling you why bay rappers aren't trying to get spins out in the east coast... they make their music for the bay. Raekwon made his first album for his people (thus why its called Only Built 4 Cuban Linx)... same with bay rappers.
They won't get spins on the East Coast because they suck. Rappers are not noble. They all want to blow up and have the same degree of success as Soldja Boy and all those other fools.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
eek

exactly. don't kid yourself, rappers want to blow nationally. its just that its easier said than done. when you realize that you're not going to but that you have a strong following in your region then you say forget it and you play/market towards your fanbase.

do not think for a sec that there are rappers whose only goal is to only get play in their metro area and thats it. a lot have to settle on that.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They won't get spins on the East Coast because they suck. Rappers are not noble. They all want to blow up and have the same degree of success as Soldja Boy and all those other fools.

Same person who thinks that Cassidy and Papoose are actually good. Keep your underground east coast ****... there's a reason why its only played on the east coast.

And no **** @ Eek... so does every rapper from everywhere. What's your point? That doesn't mean they're doing it by doing songs with Justin Bieber (*cough* Raekwon *cough*). 90% of the rappers you people are mentioning only get sales in NYC. Jadakiss (and the whole LOX for that matter) and rappers of that type only get sales from the east coast and backpacking nerds in Sweden/Netherlands/Greece who think anything that comes from NYC is "real hip hop". Try actually listening to any of the songs (or better yet, the albums) from anyone me or Rah posted... try branching out.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
eek

raekwon already blew up tho so there's no need to mention him. you say you're in hs so you're probably too young to remember the wu movement, singles, and solo albums. rae already had the plat records, the fame, the fortune, etc. whatever he does now is icing on the cake. he can do those things. he's a pioneer and a legend.

kinda like snoop hopping on a song with katy perry. oh but you don't wanna mention that tho huh?

YouTube - Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls ( Official Music Video ) HD

all of the rappers i mentioned went plat (or in the case of old school rappers where gold was like going plat, they all had impact on the game nationwide) and were on countdowns nationwide. again, you're probably too young to remember when a lot of these songs came out so you don't remember their impact on the game.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I second that. Nobody from the West Coast is making good music right now. For example let's take cali district with the song teach me how to dougie, everybody want to immitate soldja boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City