U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 37 33.64%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 15 13.64%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 40 36.36%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 18 16.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,966,499 times

Advertisements

If you were alive in the 1990's you know what I am talking about. If you follow it, you know what I mean.

I'm going to make it into a city comparison based off involvement.

Criteria:
- List the cities that were involved from both coasts
- Which coast had more people involved in the "feud"? And people who follow know what I mean.
- Who were some of the main artists to come out of some of the cities and what was their role in the "feud"?

Did it ever get personal between the two coasts in which it started to involve the stereotypical perception of how people lived or did it popularize something about lifestyle in your coast?

And lastly, which of the two coasts rap songs did you follow more/like more of?

What are some of the side effects of the 1990's hip hop feuds that took place on your respective coasts.

You don't have to answer it all, just majority of it. Lets try to keep this civil and pleasant.
This is my favorite thread yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

I'll answer it first from the best of what I can remember, lol.

Tupac & Dr. Dre are two that come to mind instantly, Snoop Dogg too. I believe the Bay Area for Tupac & Dr. Dre.
I think Snoop was Los Angeles, but don't remember.

Biggie was New York City, so was Jay-Z and Nas too. P. Diddy lol, forgot where he was from.

And it was pretty intense in terms of hip hop, I would say it gave more insight to the already believed "laid back" California lifestyle. Songs like California Love & Picture me rollin' were popular in terms of lifestyle depicting what the state had.

Biggie has "Going back to Cali" LOL pretty reasonable song describing California lifestyle from his perspective.

You turn.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM

7,822 posts, read 9,525,117 times
As far as 90's Hip-Hop I really liked both, I look at individual artists as opposed to whole regions but I might have to lean more towards the East Coast just because there were more rappers that I liked. I always heard both growing up though.

I was very young so I didn't know there was beef between them until the 2000's but looking back on that I think the West Coast had more rappers involved in the beef.

As a person I'm very laid back so I really liked a lot of slower West Coast songs "California Knows How To Party" (I know that's not the title) was always my song. But at the same time I'm from NY too so I like the faster beats and grimy lyricism as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM

74 posts, read 103,159 times
Im young, but me and my family were heavily into Death Row Records. Alot of me and my school friends preferred the West Coast g-funk and gangsta rap music over the New York music. Come to think of it, all my favorite non-local rap acts were on Death Row. I never played a Biggie Smalls album until like the mid 2000's. The only thing Chicago was involved wit in that whole East-West bs was Common dissing Ice Cube and Pac dissing Da Brat on a song.

I think the West had more people involved, cuz New York spent just as much time getting at eachother as they got at the West. You had Raekwon and Ghostface dissing Biggie on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Nas went at Biggie on "The Message", Biggie swung at Nas on "Kick in the Door", etc. The West had a couple internal shyt at the time like DJ Quik VS MC Eiht, and Pac dissed Dre a couple times, but it wasnt as bad as East Coast infighting. I dont count Dre VS Eazy E in that era.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
As far as 90's Hip-Hop I really liked both, I look at individual artists as opposed to whole regions but I might have to lean more towards the East Coast just because there were more rappers that I liked. I always heard both growing up though.

I was very young so I didn't know there was beef between them until the 2000's but looking back on that I think the West Coast had more rappers involved in the beef.
There are so many conspiracies involved in Tupac & Biggie's murders.

It also glamorized Crips & Bloods and that's when Los Angeles dramatically started to retain more of that "Gang capital" title... it was known before but popularized then.

Many believe that Biggie had Tupac finished, and many believe his death was done by the manager of the record company.

There was just way too much turbulence at the time. Jay-Z and Nas used to go at it then too, and they were both East Coast.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,431,560 times
You see some of the rappers now try to start something with each other, but it's no where near what the 90s had.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,166,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Tupac & Dr. Dre are two that come to mind instantly, Snoop Dogg too. I believe the Bay Area for Tupac & Dr. Dre.
I think Snoop was Los Angeles, but don't remember.OL pretty reasonable song describing California lifestyle from his perspective.
Tupac released most of his albums while he was living in the Bay Area, but his last couple albums were released while he was living in LA, so many think of him as only an LA rapper. As far as i know he lived in Marin City (which is just north of SF), SF, and Oakland, but did most of his music while living in Oakland. He's a California rapper, if you ask me...he rep'd the Bay and LA.

Dr. Dre is from LA. (Compton)
Snoop Dogg is from the LA area too (Long Beach)

As for myself, i voted: "I liked both, but I liked West Coast more."

I started out listening to a mix of California, southern and east coast stuff as a kid, but these days i mostly listen to Bay Area hip hop. I still love it all though.

Fun fact: i heard that the Bay Area was the largest market for Outkast's music during the 90's, outside of Atlanta. Most Bay Area and CA hip hop during the 90's was much more similar to Outkast's style (and that of other southern rappers) than anything from the east, which may have something to do with it (if it is in fact true).

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
There are so many conspiracies involved in Tupac & Biggie's murders.

It also glamorized Crips & Bloods and that's when Los Angeles dramatically started to retain more of that "Gang capital" title... it was known before but popularized then.

Many believe that Biggie had Tupac finished, and many believe his death was done by the manager of the record company.

There was just way too much turbulence at the time. Jay-Z and Nas used to go at it then too, and they were both East Coast.
I know, there's so many conspiracies. I personally don't think Biggie would do something like that. They actually were cool at one point in time, even when Biggie heard he got shot he was like Pac will bounce back from that and he'll be alright but then he heard that he had died and he was surprised.

Big Pun is very underrated, he even surprised because I thought he was more of a hit maker because that's mostly what I knew from him but he's a beast, I downloaded an album of his like last month. Surprised me. Idk if he was involved in the beef though.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,595,002 times

YouTube - ‪2Pac - California Love‬‎

Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
This is my song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City