Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More favorable impression? Boston or Philadelphia
I prefer city of Boston moreso than Philadlephia 23 46.00%
City of Philadelphia appeals to me more than Boston 17 34.00%
I have a more favorable impression of metro Boston 4 8.00%
I Prefer Philly metro moreso than Bostons 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,077,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
I like diversity and I like grit and character.

Boston is very homogenous and white in comparison to other cities of it's stature and it's also too pristine.
Boston is one of the more diverse major cities in the country. Even more diverse that Philadelphia according this study.

http://priceonomics.com/the-most-and...es-in-america/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM

251 posts, read 305,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Boston is one of the more diverse major cities in the country. Even more diverse that Philadelphia according this study.

http://priceonomics.com/the-most-and...es-in-america/

Showing that whites make up a major part of the city makeup in Boston. Not as many Asians in Philly but more Blacks, which is definitely apparent in the city fabric. Philadelphia has African American culture everywhere. Boston doesn't. Maybe thats what I was trying to say.

Philly is definitely less of a "white" city than Boston is.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Showing that whites make up a major part of the city makeup in Boston. Not as many Asians in Philly but more Blacks, which is definitely apparent in the city fabric. Philadelphia has African American culture everywhere. Boston doesn't. Maybe thats what I was trying to say.

Yes Philly has a higher percentage of African American residences. Boston has a higher percentage of white, Hispanic and Asian residecses. Both are white minority cities. Philly 36% white, while Boston is 47% white.

Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Boston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-25-2014, 06:16 AM

264 posts, read 386,289 times
Quote:

Do you know what "diversity" means? Just because Philly has "more Blacks" doesn't make it more diverse. Boston has immigrants from all over Europe, Latin America, Asia, etc. I don't see that in Philly as much. Hence, Boston has the diversity factor over Philly. Is Philly "Blacker" yes of course. But more diverse, no.

In fact, Boston's foreign born population is 26.7%. That's SIXTH in the country. Philly's is only 12.2%. That's less than half the percentage Boston has. Non-Naturalized citizens go even further with 55.5%.
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...-547e2736da48/

Last edited by Flashpoint922; 12-25-2014 at 06:28 AM..

Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,143,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
Do you know what "diversity" means? Just because Philly has "more Blacks" doesn't make it more diverse. Boston has immigrants from all over Europe, Latin America, Asia, etc. I don't see that in Philly as much. Hence, Boston has the diversity factor over Philly. Is Philly "Blacker" yes of course. But more diverse, no.

In fact, Boston's foreign born population is 26.7%. That's SIXTH in the country. Philly's is only 12.2%. That's less than half the percentage Boston has. Non-Naturalized citizens go even further with 55.5%.
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...-547e2736da48/
In Philly's defense, the city's largest Latino population, Puerto Ricans, don't count as foreign born. So Philly is more diverse than the numbers indicate--at least 20% if PRs are included.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,164,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
Though in raw numbers Philly still has 2x as many Asian and Hispanic citizens than Boston. Yes there is a slight advantage to Boston percentage wise but bottom line there are 110,000 Asians in Philly and 55,000 in Boston. 202,000 Hispanics in Philly ,110,000 in Boston.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Though in raw numbers Philly still has 2x as many Asian and Hispanic citizens than Boston. Yes there is a slight advantage to Boston percentage wise but bottom line there are 110,000 Asians in Philly and 55,000 in Boston. 202,000 Hispanics in Philly ,110,000 in Boston.
And Philly has 558k whites while Boston only has 290k, which by your logic, makes Philly the 'whiter' city.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
So Philly is more diverse than the numbers indicate--at least 20% if PRs are included.
This would only hold true if EVERY one of Philly's Puerto Rican residents were born in Puerto Rico. Can't imagine that's the case.

Obviously there are 100's of ways to look at these numbers. At the end of the day, both cities have very diverse populations. They seem very comparable on paper.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:12 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,454,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
And Philly has 558k whites while Boston only has 290k, which by your logic, makes Philly the 'whiter' city.
A huge portion of the white population live in the fringes of the city. You can slice the percentages anyway and Boston would score higher, but within "the city" of Philly, it is a extremely diverse place.

White population: Philadelphia Mapping Project | Solidarity Economy Resources

Asian: Philadelphia Mapping Project | Solidarity Economy Resources

Hispanic: Philadelphia Mapping Project | Solidarity Economy Resources

African American: Philadelphia Mapping Project | Solidarity Economy Resources

I would like to see the numbers and percents if you were to take out all the areas in the far northeast. I don't know if it would be more diverse percentagly, but it would be a bit different. The northeast also is not really connected via rail unlike the areas that are heavily Hispanic, Black, or Asian so I feel more people gravitate towards center city in the lower parts of north/south philly, giving the city an increased present of diversity. I am not saying Boston isn't still more diverse but percentage wise, it can be kind of misleading.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,536,546 times
Visited Boston for the first time about two weeks ago, and saw firsthand that the characterizations of it as a "lily White city" are so off that it's laughable--and I was in different parts of Boston, from Cambridge to downtown to Dorchester. I'd prefer to live in Philly, but I could easily see myself living in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City