U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SoCal or SoTex
Southern California 60 75.95%
South Texas 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,872,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Oh shoot I just saw his map, yeah you're right. That's the largest city in the comparison for Southern Texas.

So it's San Antonio, Corpus Christi, & South Padre VS Los Angeles & San Diego.
Southern California still has an edge though on majority of the given criteria. But South Texas has some really nice stuff going for it too. South Padre, San Antonio, & Corpus Christi. Good variety of cultural cuisines.

But Southern California is far more developed and has more to do due to the cities at hand. Los Angeles & San Diego.
Right, they're both really great areas, but I'd go with SoCal. I prefer SD over L.A. though. South Texas is no where near as developed, it's just starting to grow. SoCal has more to offer but both are good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,550,725 times
Quote:
Oh shoot I just saw his map, yeah you're right. That's the largest city in the comparison for Southern Texas.

So it's San Antonio, Corpus Christi, & South Padre VS Los Angeles & San Diego.
Southern California still has an edge though on majority of the given criteria. But South Texas has some really nice stuff going for it too. South Padre, San Antonio, & Corpus Christi. Good variety of cultural cuisines.

But Southern California is far more developed and has more to do due to the cities at hand. Los Angeles & San Diego.
Don't forget that San Bernardino and Riverside are also pretty big

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,182,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Right, they're both really great areas, but I'd go with SoCal. I prefer SD over L.A. though. South Texas is no where near as developed, it's just starting to grow. SoCal has more to offer but both are good.
Yeah I went with Southern California too. And I like San Diego more than Los Angeles also, despite liking both a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Don't forget that San Bernardino and Riverside are also pretty big
You're right about that. But IMO, Riverside is kind of plain though. It's nice, but I would much rather spend time in Los Angeles & San Diego.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,872,084 times
Quote:
Yeah I went with Southern California too. And I like San Diego more than Los Angeles also, despite liking both a lot.
South Texas just doesn't have enough population to compete. If there were several bigger cities with tons of amenities(especially on the coast), it would be more of something to look at. Corpus is okay, but it could be better and offer more than it does. If I were to move to CA right now, it'd probably be L.A. If I were to pick a place to spend the rest of my life in CA, it'd be San Diego. I think San Diego is prettier and cleaner, but L.A. has more of an edge.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM

SoCal:

Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM

South Texas:

Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,182,445 times
Lol, those pictures of Texas wont do. I'll be back after lunch to post good ones up for it. It wont really matter though this poll is a wash, lol not even people in Texas would take South Texas over Southern California. (with or without Houston).

But here is one of Houston for the time being-

Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM

354 posts, read 589,195 times
Default S. TX Wins overall(from someone whose lived both places)

I have lived in both places, moving back to southern Ca next year(getting married), so I can truly say that I know, from both sides of the fence:
Criteria:
- Public transportation--=Neither Southern CA or South TX has great public transportation at all. This is a given. Being originally from the Northeast, the public transportation in either area is generally bad--sorry, neither one wins, esp. when I'm used to the MBTA in Boston or NYC public trans. If I have to pick a winner on trans. in general TX would win--only because you won't spend half your life in traffic.

- Food--I like both Tex/Mex and food in S. California. Now S.California may have more diversity in types of food.

- Education--As a teacher, we know that when children move here from S. Cal(alot of them are) generally they are a grade level behind. Special Education services are more progressive here. As a SPED teacher this is not my opinion--this is a fact. I have spoken to the Director at the Los Angeles County of Education--I won't give her name, but she expressed dismay at the Special Education system in CA. Children are spending time in resource rooms and not integrated with other children. Here, in TX, children are integrated as much as possible into the classroom--so you can see kids with autism interacting with their more able peers. This is great for socialization and learning about peoples differences, among other things.
Alot of the reason why TX wins with education is due to Texas having a dual accountability system. What this means is that Texas, as a state, has opted to be accountable for children's education both on the national/federal level (No Child Left Behind Standards) as well as on the state level. Now, a lot of the Rio Grande Valley, for example, is uneducated--and this is due to their proximity to the Mexican border and the majority of the people being first generation, poor immigrants--but if you look closer, you will notice that those schools are recognized on the federal and state level as exemplary--and those kids are working and getting to college--raising the economic status of their families. There are a lot of wonderful things going on in education here in TX.

- Recreational activities--In San Antonio alone there's the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Six Flags Fiesta TX, Sea World, La Villita, El Mercado, Tower of the Americas, Schlitterbahn, Natural Bridge Caverns, Natural Bridge Wildlife Safari, SA Zoo, etc, etc. In the surrounding Hill Country, there's Enchanted Rock, Lost Maples, Canyon Lake, etc.--travel a little ways north and you will get to Austin's 6th street. In deep S. TX there's S. Padre, Corpus Christi and surrounding area has N. Padre, Mustang Island, Rockport, Port Aransas, and such activities as horseback riding on the beach. I think the most important question is how much stuff in Southern CA is there to do that you can afford after you are done paying rent and such there? The cost of living is 72 percent higher and salaries are only 17 percent higher. Many more folks there are unemployed or underemployed and so, can't afford any recreation that's there anyway. It's nice to have recreation and all, but if you can't afford it then it's hardly worth it.

- Natural scenery--In some respects S. California wins, but I would say this is a matter of personal pref. FWIW, I have some of my favorite shots from S. TX posted below.
- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.)???? Not sure how to respond to this. Because of the cost of living people don't live on top of eachother here. You can easily afford a 1 bedroom on your own without having 10 roomates. I seriously saw 6 people sharing a studio in L.A. because it was so expensive. People are more spread out here and there is less population density per square mile. What this means is that there's not as much traffic, less cars on the road--and no brown haze hanging over the city called smog!
- Skyline--Of what city? Which one?
- Downtown vibrancy--San Antonio has a very vibrant downtown--alot of this is due to the tourism and Riverwalk area, but there are a host of clubs on Houston street--with no cover, might I add--Metro, etc, are some of the nicest ones. In the surrounding areas there's Posh, Dolce, Swig, and The Falls among others.
- Location--??????? Location might be good for one, not for others. With S. TX you pretty much are 2 hours from the W. Coast, 5 hours from the E. coast. If you have family here, than the location is perfect for you. Depends on what your looking for. If no family, maybe not. IDK. If New Orleans and Lousiana are your thang, then it's probably a days drive. If you want to go hiking in canyon like atmosphere, Big Bend National Park is about a days drive as well.
- Weather--S. Cal does win on this one--but I would have to say both win over the frigid North.
- Economy--TX WINS! HANDS DOWN! Nicer, bigger houses for much less money, better quality of life, lower cost of living. More discretionary money for travel and anything else you want to do.
- Diversity (people)--S. Tx is majority Mexican because of proximity to the border, however people tend to be more laid-back here and it is majority democratic.
- Nightlife--No cover charge at 99 percent of the bars/clubs I've been to make it more affordable to even have a nightlife. There are tons of choices--you have to get out there and find them. Once your'e in ---2.50 long island anyone?---so cheap here to go out, which makes nightlife here a winner. You can go out without breaking the bank. The attached pics are from Mustang Island, and one I took of the hill country near San Antonio.
Attached Thumbnails
Southern California VS. Southern Texas including Houston-0807101758.jpg  

Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
I have lived in both places, moving back to southern Ca next year(getting married), so I can truly say that I know, from both sides of the fence:

- Recreational activities--In San Antonio alone there's the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Six Flags Fiesta TX, Sea World, La Villita, El Mercado, Tower of the Americas, Schlitterbahn, Natural Bridge Caverns, Natural Bridge Wildlife Safari, SA Zoo, etc, etc. In the surrounding Hill Country, there's Enchanted Rock, Lost Maples, Canyon Lake, etc.--travel a little ways north and you will get to Austin's 6th street. In deep S. TX there's S. Padre, Corpus Christi and surrounding area has N. Padre, Mustang Island, Rockport, Port Aransas, and such activities as horseback riding on the beach. I think the most important question is how much stuff in Southern CA is there to do that you can afford after you are done paying rent and such there? The cost of living is 72 percent higher and salaries are only 17 percent higher. Many more folks there are unemployed or underemployed and so, can't afford any recreation that's there anyway. It's nice to have recreation and all, but if you can't afford it then it's hardly worth it.
You can do plenty in SoCal without money.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM

354 posts, read 589,195 times
Houston isn't considered S. TX....

Last edited by mayalevi; 08-10-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or