U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: SoCal or SoTex
Southern California 60 75.95%
South Texas 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2010, 07:08 PM

889 posts, read 1,246,703 times
Horrible comparison....Not saying South Texas is bad, but your comparing a region anchored by a world class city to a region anchored by the 3rd best metro in Texas.

(Adding Houston really has no effect on this comparison, and in staying true to regional definitions, Houston shouldn't even be mentioned) If the OP would've wanted to make this a fair comparison by adding Houston, that should be your first cue that this thread wasn't going to be fair from the start.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,315,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Horrible comparison....Not saying South Texas is bad, but your comparing a region anchored by a world class city to a region anchored by the 3rd best metro in Texas.

(Adding Houston really has no effect on this comparison, and in staying true to regional definitions, Houston shouldn't even be mentioned) If the OP would've wanted to make this a fair comparison by adding Houston, that should be your first cue that this thread wasn't going to be fair from the start.
Adding Houston wouldn't help period. South Texas doesn't need Houston. Houston is so east Texas it doesn't go along.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

338 posts, read 357,643 times
As someone who is not from either place, but has lived in both, here is my take:

It's terribly skewed in that many people do not understand Texas/do not know much about Texas, particularly S. Texas and where that region is or what the definition of that region is--as evidenced by the discussion of Houston which isn't even part of S. Texas. California, particularly Southern California tends to get a lot of media attention that tends to glamorize the area and doesn't necessarily reflect how it truly is. Texas does not get this kind of press, and you would be surprised how many people don't even know there are beaches in Texas!. I have met many people who are(pleasantly) surprised with how their perceptions of S. Texas did not reflect reality. I have also met just as many people who were surprised that their perceptions of Southern California were not quite what the reality of the area is--and were sorely disappointed.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,377,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
As someone who is not from either place, but has lived in both, here is my take:

It's terribly skewed in that many people do not understand Texas/do not know much about Texas, particularly S. Texas and where that region is or what the definition of that region is--as evidenced by the discussion of Houston which isn't even part of S. Texas. California, particularly Southern California tends to get a lot of media attention that tends to glamorize the area and doesn't necessarily reflect how it truly is. Texas does not get this kind of press, and you would be surprised how many people don't even know there are beaches in Texas!. I have met many people who are(pleasantly) surprised with how their perceptions of S. Texas did not reflect reality. I have also met just as many people who were surprised that their perceptions of Southern California were not quite what the reality of the area is--and were sorely disappointed.
In general the area to live is a very subjective quality. Everyone has their takes.
And yeah a lot of people do have the wrong interpretation of Texas in general. But the same for California, many people look too much into generalizations like "hippies, liberals, gays, fake, pretentious, plastic" for California in which I know how people there can feel about it and it's not a nice thing. For Texas it's "rednecks, bible thumpers, stubborn, cowboy" and none of that is true. At least regarding the people in the city I live in... so it's kind of even in that.

I'm not going to lie, there are people in both states that match that very description, but they mostly come from tiny towns in both states. And they make up such a small proportion of the population.

Another thing is, California as a state is a very beautiful state, and it has the geographical diversity to be. Texas is large by land area put it's pretty areas are centered to one place, hill country, coast line, panhandle, etc...

__________________________________________________ ______________

And earlier I made a post in which I made it seem as if I were responding to someone else's lack of knowledge and I was. The poster that I was indirectly responding to will know who he is (I'm not calling anyone out by name), he has not been to Texas and has not been to Southern California. Most of the threads he goes into, rarely ever has anything nice to say about Houston or Dallas, but he boosts places like Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia in exchange.
And he posts as if he knows from experience categories like "food" and "recreational activities" are a sure fit win for Southern California.
And quite frankly, I don't call people out but that poster and his lack of knowledge or anti-Texas bias is honestly annoying, especially for someone whose always got to defend their state everyday in existence on this site. I defend California too when I can, lol.
Quite possibly if the poster is interested in explaining what they have against the state, they can message me about it, because I really want to hear it.

In general if you have not been or if you don't know, then just leave it at that, do not try to act smart and act like you know what you're talking about. There's always that large possibility that you will be (or are) wrong.

And also to that poster: I hope you realize not everyone in Texas is Republican, I'm not. And I know for a fact that is the main issue people have with the state, in which people are generalized for the entire states government.

End rant.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
In general the area to live is a very subjective quality. Everyone has their takes.
And yeah a lot of people do have the wrong interpretation of Texas in general. But the same for California, many people look too much into generalizations like "hippies, liberals, gays, fake, pretentious, plastic" for California in which I know how people there can feel about it and it's not a nice thing. For Texas it's "rednecks, bible thumpers, stubborn, cowboy" and none of that is true. At least regarding the people in the city I live in... so it's kind of even in that.
You are right that both states have their share of ignorant bashers. CA being the most populous state and home of the American media will get more talk than others. And Texas being...well, Texas will get it's fair talk as well(and it is largely populated too). The main difference is that the media, and the world in general, see the "rednecks, bible thumpers, stubborn cowboy" as more negative than the "hippies, liberals, gays, fake, pretentious, plastic". I know that sounds funny, but everyone(not everyone but according to the media, yes) wants that "ballin'", flashy lifestyle combined with the opened mindedness usually associated with hippies, liberals, and gays. The Texas image is always associated with being close-minded and ignorant.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

13,222 posts, read 12,643,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Criteria:
- Public transportation
- Food
- Education
- Recreational activities
- Natural scenery
- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.)
- Skyline
- Diversity (people)
- Nightlife

SoCal wikipedia:

"Southern California (SoCal) is a megaregion, or megapolitan area, in the southern area of the U.S. state of California. Though there is no official definition for the northern boundary of Southern California, most definitions in use include all the land south of the Tehachapi Mountains, located about 70 miles (113 km) north of Los Angeles.[1] Southern California is a culturally diverse and well known area worldwide. Many tourists frequent South Coast for it's popular beaches. Large urban areas include Greater Los Angeles, Greater San Diego, and the Inland Empire. The urban area stretches along the coast from Oxnard through the Southland and Inland Empire to San Diego, spilling over the border into Tijuana. Southern California is a large cultural and economic center for the State of California.
Its population encompasses a total of five metropolitan areas: Los Angeles, Riverside-San Bernardino, San Diego, Oxnard-Thousand Oaks and the El Centro area. Out of these, three are major metropolitan areas, each of which have over 3 million people; the Los Angeles area with over 12 million inhabitants, the Riverside-San Bernardino area with over 4 million inhabitants, and the San Diego area with over 3 million inhabitants. The region as a whole is practically identical in population to Texas, with more than 24.2 million people, and is the nation's most populous region behind the urban seaboard of the Northeastern United States.
To the west of Southern California lies the Pacific Ocean; to the south is the international border between the United States and Mexico; to the east are the Mojave and Colorado Deserts and the Colorado River at the state's border with Arizona and Nevada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California

South Texas Wikipedia:

"South Texas is a region of the U.S. state of Texas that lies roughly south of, or beginning at, San Antonio. The southern and western boundary is the Rio Grande River, and to the east it is the Gulf of Mexico. The population of this region is about 3.7 million. The southern portion of this region is often referred to as the Rio Grande Valley. The eastern portion along the Gulf of Mexico is also referred to as the Coastal Bend.There is no defined northern boundary, although it is believed to be at the city of San Antonio and from an east to west line extending from the Rio Grande near Maverick County to the Gulf of Mexico, but turning southeast at or near Lavaca County, and continuing towards the Gulf of Mexico to separate it from East Texas and Southeast Texas. The Rio Grande serves as the western and southern boundaries and separates Texas from Mexico. The eastern portion of South Texas is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico."

South Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't realize how diverse South Texas was until you made this thread. From SA to Corpus Christi South Texas has scenic rolling hills in the Hill Country, to beaches in the Gulf Coast.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,377,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You are right that both states have their share of ignorant bashers. CA being the most populous state and home of the American media will get more talk than others. And Texas being...well, Texas will get it's fair talk as well(and it is largely populated too). The main difference is that the media, and the world in general, see the "rednecks, bible thumpers, stubborn cowboy" as more negative than the "hippies, liberals, gays, fake, pretentious, plastic". I know that sounds funny, but everyone(not everyone but according to the media, yes) wants that "ballin'", flashy lifestyle combined with the opened mindedness usually associated with hippies, liberals, and gays. The Texas image is always associated with being close-minded and ignorant.
I can tolerate a person who has problems and a person who may like or dislike based off personal experience. That is respectable.
I can tolerate people of any background and what they look, sound, and act like due their culture.
I'm very easy going about that, and I can tolerate quite a lot.

But the one thing and absolutely one thing in life I cannot and probably will not ever tolerate is stupidity. Simply in the essence that everyone with a normal functioning mind has the ability to base off knowledge and retain it. People who have disabilities are not fortunate enough to take advantage of swiftly gaining knowledge as much as the average joe, and I see that as a mock to them that there are people who can live a normal life but act so stupid and say things so stupid.

Stupidity and ignorance are things that I hate more than anything in the world, when I see it, I call it as it is, and I hate those people a lot. I cant stand stupid and dumb, I spent my entire life trying to work on knowing things and the things I don't know I don't talk about, if I am wrong I admit to it and learn from it.
But there are people who go based off of stereotypes and rumors, and they generalize, it really ticks me off because they are stupid. Literally stupid, they don't deserve to have that fully functional mind they waste it and bring disgrace to anything that has to do with intellect. A person who has not been to either place or even one of them should not be talking as if they have, and post after post, thread after thread they do the exact same thing, bashing very subtly so no one notices, Houston or Dallas and praising Boston & Philadelphia.
Quite frankly it has gone noticed and it is annoying.

I prefer Southern California over South Texas too but one thing I do want to see some massive developments and changes in the cities of Corpus Christi & South Padre, they have potential to be great cities. (based off location)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,017,312 times
Quote:
Awesome Danny;

And earlier I made a post in which I made it seem as if I were responding to someone else's lack of knowledge and I was. The poster that I was indirectly responding to will know who he is (I'm not calling anyone out by name), he has not been to Texas and has not been to Southern California. Most of the threads he goes into, rarely ever has anything nice to say about Houston or Dallas, but he boosts places like Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia in exchange.
And he posts as if he knows from experience categories like "food" and "recreational activities" are a sure fit win for Southern California.
And quite frankly, I don't call people out but that poster and his lack of knowledge or anti-Texas bias is honestly annoying, especially for someone whose always got to defend their state everyday in existence on this site. I defend California too when I can, lol.
Quite possibly if the poster is interested in explaining what they have against the state, they can message me about it, because I really want to hear it.

In general if you have not been or if you don't know, then just leave it at that, do not try to act smart and act like you know what you're talking about. There's always that large possibility that you will be (or are) wrong.

And also to that poster: I hope you realize not everyone in Texas is Republican, I'm not. And I know for a fact that is the main issue people have with the state, in which people are generalized for the entire states government.

End rant.
I think you should be commended for being extremely fair\ reasonable in all your posts! I am annoyed also when some posters don't even bother to justify their comments and make disparaging remarks nearly all the time. I have my differences with Texas over politics but have come to appreciate a lot about Texas from the many informed posts from people like you. Plus I have been in Texas twice and hope to return again some day.

Sometimes threads are intentionally set up to bash another state and become unnecessarily heated as a result. I had my doubts about this thread from the start, that it would be unfairly biased toward California so have opted to not really participate all that much. But, none-the-less, have learned a few things and enjoyed some great photos.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I can tolerate a person who has problems and a person who may like or dislike based off personal experience. That is respectable.
I can tolerate people of any background and what they look, sound, and act like due their culture.
I'm very easy going about that, and I can tolerate quite a lot.

But the one thing and absolutely one thing in life I cannot and probably will not ever tolerate is stupidity. Simply in the essence that everyone with a normal functioning mind has the ability to base off knowledge and retain it. People who have disabilities are not fortunate enough to take advantage of swiftly gaining knowledge as much as the average joe, and I see that as a mock to them that there are people who can live a normal life but act so stupid and say things so stupid.

Stupidity and ignorance are things that I hate more than anything in the world, when I see it, I call it as it is, and I hate those people a lot. I cant stand stupid and dumb, I spent my entire life trying to work on knowing things and the things I don't know I don't talk about, if I am wrong I admit to it and learn from it.
But there are people who go based off of stereotypes and rumors, and they generalize, it really ticks me off because they are stupid. Literally stupid, they don't deserve to have that fully functional mind they waste it and bring disgrace to anything that has to do with intellect. A person who has not been to either place or even one of them should not be talking as if they have, and post after post, thread after thread they do the exact same thing, bashing very subtly so no one notices, Houston or Dallas and praising Boston & Philadelphia.
Quite frankly it has gone noticed and it is annoying.

I prefer Southern California over South Texas too but one thing I do want to see some massive developments and changes in the cities of Corpus Christi & South Padre, they have potential to be great cities. (based off location)
The only thing I'd like to see in this world is for people to think for themselves and not use their minds to conform to the media. Not everyone has to like or love a place in my personal opinion, but don't write it off because of the media. I find people doing that with so many places in the world just because of something they heard on TV and it gets me upset. Like people hating Mexico even though there is more to the country than Tijuana and Juarez(what they are only seeing on TV). Again those cities, I'm sure, have their own misconceptions as well.

About your last part, it seems that SPI is about to start building up. Corpus isn't even progressing that much, that was my issue earlier. I have a feeling SPI and the southern tip of Texas are going to get much better as they grow, but not sure about Corpus...

Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think you should be commended for being extremely fair\ reasonable in all your posts! I am annoyed also when some posters don't even bother to justify their comments and make disparaging remarks nearly all the time. I have my differences with Texas over politics but have come to appreciate a lot about Texas from the many informed posts from people like you. Plus I have been in Texas twice and hope to return again some day.

Sometimes threads are intentionally set up to bash another state and become unnecessarily heated as a result. I had my doubts about this thread from the start, that it would be unfairly biased toward California so have opted to not really participate all that much. But, none-the-less, have learned a few things and enjoyed some great photos.
I'm don't want to start an issue or anything, but that could have been the point of the thread. Whatever the intention, it doesn't matter though because the thread is actually going quite mature. For a sunbelt thread at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City