U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Austin or Charlotte?
Austin 22 52.38%
Charlotte 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Austin
4,095 posts, read 7,203,964 times
Reputation: 2117

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
What about Pflugerville? It's just fun to try to say. It sounds like a someone is trying to swear through a fake-sneeze!
Hehe... pronouncing Pflugerville is probably the most fun thing associated with that place. It's basically your garden variety, windswept, treeless and flat former farmland town that's now filled with shoddy tract shacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,450,309 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think any place in North Carolina is better than any place in Texas.
I think El Paso is a better place to live than any place in North Carolina. Can't change my mind on that one.

Austin:

http://www.alaustin.org/images/citiscape6.jpg (broken link)

110 Austin photos from 6/6/07 - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
572 posts, read 968,157 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I was in both for long visits.Austin is 100 x better inmho.Hilly,interesting downtown,old archetecture with the new,CLEAN,beautiful large lake nearby,vibrant University feel yet cosmopolitian city,great schools,superb music/nite life,wonderful old neighborhoods,plus new interesting ones.Charlote,you can get alot of house for the $ ,flat,MANY subdivisions,strip malls,billboards everywhere,smaller downtown hub that seems to close with ofice hours,very HIGH crimerate considering city size,over crowded schools and many below par and mediocre,chocolate brown lakes,cookie cutter neighborhoods everywhere-sorry,I know many nice people like it there and know more about it then what I found in our one months time,,different strokes

Hey, I mean I know Charlotte isnt for everyone but dang its not quite that horrible.

I dont know why you say Charlottes flat. I mean the city pretty much lies in the foothills of the Apps. Its no Mountain city but certainly cant be called flat either.

Cleanliness: Im pretty sure that, like Austin, Charlotte has both its bad and good sides of town.

Schools: I agree with you, some of the schools need big improvements. However quite a few Charlotte schools were on NewsWeeks top 1000 High Schools.

Nightlife: While Charlotte lags in live music which flourishes in Austin, the city still has a pretty decent nightlife. Plenty of bars and clubs Uptown, not to mention the surrounding neighborhoods, and University-City. Also, all the Universities in the area, and the many young professionals moving in, the nightlife continues to grow.

Neighborhoods and Uptown: Charlotte has plenty of cool neighborhoods. Ever been to Dilworth? Elizabeth? Myers Park? Southend? All full of beautiful and historic homes. Want new neighborhoods? Southpark? Noda? And what about Uptown Charlotte. A very exciting place right now with a significant influx of residents. And when you say its small Im kind of confused as uptown Charlotte is full of tall skyscrapers, taller than Austins infact. Yes its a big office hub, and yes it's busier during office hours.So is every other mid sized city. Uptown isnot only the hub of Charlotte nightlife but its also going through a giant building and residential boom. Many cranes dot the skyline with office and residential towers going up.

Lakes: Wow, One cant live in Charlotte without knowing Lake Norman, I mean its not Lake Mead, or Tahoe, but I consider it one of the great gems in the area. All the beautiful homes lining the shore, the treelines, and the sheer size of the lake is awesome. And what about Lake Wylie, another popular one which is growing quite fast and actually comes into the Charlotte City limits. I would say that lakes are a great quality for the Charlotte area, the city is blessed to be nestled between two of the best in NC.

I think both cities are great and offer some excellent qualities of life. I just happen to live in Charlotte and I love it here, of course im going to defend my hometown. From what I hear Im sure I would love Austin as well, seems like a great city. just my two cents.

Last edited by carolinablue; 06-26-2007 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
 
Location: Richmond
1,489 posts, read 7,971,219 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Both are southern cities that are taking in their fair share of outsiders for various reasons. Which of these cities do you like the most and why? If you have spent time in both places, what were your impressions of the cities?
I don't think Austin is a Southern city. Its really something of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 13,621,900 times
Reputation: 4685
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Hey, I mean I know Charlotte isnt for everyone but dang its not quite that horrible.

I dont know why you say Charlottes flat. I mean the city pretty much lies in the foothills of the Apps. Its no Mountain city but certainly cant be called flat either.

Cleanliness: Im pretty sure that, like Austin, Charlotte has both its bad and good sides of town.

Schools: I agree with you, some of the schools need big improvements. However quite a few Charlotte schools were on NewsWeeks top 1000 High Schools.

Nightlife: While Charlotte lags in live music which flourishes in Austin, the city still has a pretty decent nightlife. Plenty of bars and clubs Uptown, not to mention the surrounding neighborhoods, and University-City. Also, all the Universities in the area, and the many young professionals moving in, the nightlife continues to grow.

Neighborhoods and Uptown: Charlotte has plenty of cool neighborhoods. Ever been to Dilworth? Elizabeth? Myers Park? Southend? All full of beautiful and historic homes. Want new neighborhoods? Southpark? Noda? And what about Uptown Charlotte. A very exciting place right now with a significant influx of residents. And when you say its small Im kind of confused as uptown Charlotte is full of tall skyscrapers, taller than Austins infact. Yes its a big office hub, and yes it's busier during office hours.So is every other mid sized city. Uptown isnot only the hub of Charlotte nightlife but its also going through a giant building and residential boom. Many cranes dot the skyline with office and residential towers going up.

Lakes: Wow, One cant live in Charlotte without knowing Lake Norman, I mean its not Lake Mead, or Tahoe, but I consider it one of the great gems in the area. All the beautiful homes lining the shore, the treelines, and the sheer size of the lake is awesome. And what about Lake Wylie, another popular one which is growing quite fast and actually comes into the Charlotte City limits. I would say that lakes are a great quality for the Charlotte area, the city is blessed to be nestled between two of the best in NC.

I think both cities are great and offer some excellent qualities of life. I just happen to live in Charlotte and I love it here, of course im going to defend my hometown. From what I hear Im sure I would love Austin as well, seems like a great city. just my two cents.
I am glad you found your "home" and are happy there. Sorry if I offended you,different strokes,and we looked at myers park,and it was lovely.Lake Norman surrounded by houses did not float my boat,but your description of your home town is loving and proud,,hey you could work for chamber of commerce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 AM
 
1,964 posts, read 5,657,073 times
Reputation: 1268
I'd rate Austin the better city but North Carolina the better state. El Paso? Are you serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,422 posts, read 29,555,108 times
Reputation: 29932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I think El Paso is a better place to live than any place in North Carolina. Can't change my mind on that one.

Austin:

http://www.alaustin.org/images/citiscape6.jpg (broken link)

110 Austin photos from 6/6/07 - SkyscraperPage Forum
Nice picture, but still doesn't change my mind about North Carolina being better than Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,450,309 times
Reputation: 206
Texas is beautiful though. Mountains, deserts, plains, large hills, small hills, piney wood forests, the coast, and then all of the big cities here. Texas is better to me, and the millions of people who move here every ten years. Houston and Dallas alone grew by over 1.6 million from 2000-2006 (together). Isn't that like Charlotte's metro alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
572 posts, read 968,157 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am glad you found your "home" and are happy there. Sorry if I offended you,different strokes,and we looked at myers park,and it was lovely.Lake Norman surrounded by houses did not float my boat,but your description of your home town is loving and proud,,hey you could work for chamber of commerce
none taken. Sorry if I sounded angry, I can sometimes get too into my own thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,450,309 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I'd rate Austin the better city but North Carolina the better state. El Paso? Are you serious?
Can't change my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top