Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin or Charlotte?
Austin 22 52.38%
Charlotte 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 AM

124 posts, read 449,816 times

Advertisements

What do you have in and around Charlotte (not 100 miles away) that compares?

http://pics3.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles4613.jpg (broken link)

http://pics3.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles25837.jpg (broken link)

http://pics3.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles6933.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Better break out the big guns, Sunny!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
And I read earlier in the thread that Austin hills are small....

Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM

87 posts, read 383,237 times
I love the picture with the 360 bridge in the background!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM

163 posts, read 525,555 times
My wife and I visted Austin before making the decision to settle in Charlotte. In my 'unbiased' opinion (we're from New England) though Austin was nice I expected a LOT more than what I saw and experienced. Not trying to offend anyone but my first thought was "what is all the hype over this place". My initial thought was that the city was very overrated.
We came in from the side of town near the airport and I was shocked to see neighborhoods in such disrepair all the way into the edge of downtown. I didn't expect this.
The hill country was very pretty but unaffordable for the average person.
Downtown was not what I would call exciting. It to me seemed to be geared towards college-aged students (no surprise) but lacked anything that would want me to spend much time there.
I concluded that the appeal of Austin is limited, just like any other place. It is for the very rich, the very young, college student, artsy, hippy-type group and maybe certain racial groups (not trying to start anything). I am in my forties and maybe that's why Austin does nothing for me. My wife had an even less apprecition for the city.
Charlotte is not 'better' it is just much better for me and my family. It has it's flaws, but what it offers us far outweighs those flaws. To each each own, I guess.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
I concluded that the appeal of Austin is limited, just like any other place. It is for the very rich, the very young, college student, artsy, hippy-type group and maybe certain racial groups (not trying to start anything).
Did you just describe San Francisco? :haha:

Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Isn't Austin the city in Texas most similar to Californian life? If so is it because of Californian transplants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Did you just describe San Francisco? :haha:

Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Charlotte. Better climate, more diversity, comfortable COL.

Last edited by Colts; 12-02-2007 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 AM

117 posts, read 449,792 times
well...i think austin is a cooler city but charlotte is in a prettier state. Texas may also be diverse but it's too big to get around it easily. I moved to the carolinas from dallas just about a year and a half ago and we've already been too so many cool places within a four hour drive from Charlotte...and living in dallas we could go to austin or to see my mom in okc but we didn't feel like we had a lot of options for feasible roadtrips....Austin has more then dallas, i guess but not more than charlotte...so i guess it just depends on what defines a cool city for you or what fits your particular iterests or stage of life.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Isn't Austin the city in Texas most similar to Californian life? If so is it because of Californian transplants?
San Antonio is very interesting. The Mexican culture may predominate in the city but there is a strong German culture in the region. Does Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels ring a bell? Even in the city, there is St. Joseph's Catholic Church (St. Joske's) which was built by German Catholics. It is easy to find because it is surrounded by a department store/mall on three sides of the block.

Austin looks like Texas' version of Washington. Too bland and corporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City