U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do you Prefer?
Charleston, SC 79 52.32%
New Orleans 72 47.68%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

124 posts, read 82,999 times

Advertisements

I Choose Charleston. I had a Family reunion there once and its such a beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 AM

725 posts, read 1,148,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Charleston, SC and New Orleans are both great cities that don't seem to get enough recognition on City-Data. Both cities are walk-able, both have great food, lots of culture, lots of art and tons of history. Both are also located on the water, N.O. is on Lake Pontchartrain and has a significant port, and Charleston is right on the Atlantic with its beautiful harbor. Charleston is smaller than N.O., but I think it has a lot to offer.

Which do you think is better and why? KEEP IT POSITIVE!

Here's some criteria:

Art
Music
Food
Walk-ability
Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.)
History
Weather
Entertainment
QOL
COL
Before I even start I have to say the vibe in NO is untouched by anything. It'll win with vibe alone, but I'll play along...

Art probably Charleston
Music........... NO by a massive margin... blues, jazz, hip-hop leader
Food............ NO by another huge margin... They are known for food, but I do like that low country boil in the low country
Walk-ability... both
Natural Amenities...... NO, south Lousiana is unique
History......... very few US cities can beat NO in history Charleston is one
Location....... dunno, both
Lifestyle....... THe big easy is the big easy, but lifestyle took a hit after katrina; Charleston
Weather....... both hot and muggy
Entertainment. NO; one of the top 5 cities in the country
QOL............. dunno
COL............. dunno

Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 AM

2,517 posts, read 7,352,515 times
Charleston easily wins it for me.

Art - Probably a tie or slight edge to NO
Music - NO, hands down
Food - Tie. Charleston has A LOT of very good restaurants as a former home to Johnson & Wales Culinary Institute.
Walk-ability - Charleston, hands down. Simply b/c you don't have to worry as much about straying one block into the wrong neighborhood...and the weather is more conducive for walking.
Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.) - Charleston: the dunes, beaches, rivers, marshes, etc are awesome.
History - Tie, with maybe a slight edge to Charleston
Location - Charleston by a landslide. Easy access to I-95 and the eastern seaboard. Also only a few hours drive to the SC Upcountry and mountains of western NC.
Lifestyle - Charleston
Weather - Charleston, b/c its less sauna-like for less of the year, and actually does offer a bit of a 4-season climate
Entertainment - NO. Size alone is enough to put NO ahead, but obviously there's more to it than that.
QOL - If one needs big-city amenities, then NO. If a mid-size city is enough, then Charleston
COL - Housing is more in Charleston, but I think that's reflective of the more middle and upper-class atmosphere in Charleston. I would expect a nice middle-class home in a good NO neighborhood wouldn't be much cheaper than in Charleston. Most other COL factors are higher in NO. Thus, I'd give the edge to Charleston in this category.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 AM

3,873 posts, read 3,910,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
COL - Housing is more in Charleston, but I think that's reflective of the more middle and upper-class atmosphere in Charleston. I would expect a nice middle-class home in a good NO neighborhood wouldn't be much cheaper than in Charleston. Most other COL factors are higher in NO. Thus, I'd give the edge to Charleston in this category.
I may be wrong about this, but I got the impression that Charleston, similar to San Fran, has a higher COL if you want to live around downtown. The reason I say this is because Charleston only has so much land in that area, which is surrounded by water. To that end, NO might have more real estate options and a cheaper COL if you want to live in a neighborhood that's closely integrated with downtown.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM

25,342 posts, read 20,560,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I got the impression that Charleston, similar to San Fran, has a higher COL if you want to live around downtown. The reason I say this is because Charleston only has so much land in that area, which is surrounded by water. To that end, NO might have more real estate options and a cheaper COL if you want to live in a neighborhood that's closely integrated with downtown.
I think there's some truth to that. If you look at Sotheby's website, Charleston has about twice as many properties listed despite its considerbaly smaller size. This gives you a good idea about how much money there is in Charleston.

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/en/PropertySearchResults.aspx?N=12%20149%204294942307 %204294942513&curr=USD&No=8 (broken link)

As far as rental prices, this may be give us some idea:

charleston apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

new orleans apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

They seem about the same to me...Charleston may be a little more pricey.

I forgot to mention food. NOLA has the food on lock. Charleston is not known for nearly the range of cuisine that New Orleans is.

As far as the aesthetic appeal of the two cities, I gotta go with Charleston.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM

3,873 posts, read 3,910,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think there's some truth to that. If you look at Sotheby's website, Charleston has about twice as many properties listed despite its considerbaly smaller size. This gives you a good idea about how much money there is in Charleston.

Property Search Results | Sotheby's International Realty® (http://www.sothebysrealty.com/en/PropertySearchResults.aspx?N=12%20149%204294942307 %204294942513&curr=USD&No=8 - broken link)

As far as rental prices, this may be give us some idea:

charleston apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

new orleans apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

They seem about the same to me...Charleston may be a little more pricey.

I forgot to mention food. NOLA has the food on lock. Charleston is not known for nearly the range of cuisine that New Orleans is.

As far as the aesthetic appeal of the two cities, I gotta go with Charleston.

Great pics! It makes me want to go back right now! However, I'll wait till next year's Spoleto Festival...what a great time to visit.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,485,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Food............ NO by another huge margin... They are known for food, but I do like that low country boil in the low country
Whoever wins this one I wouldn't say it would be by a huge margin. They both have excellent cuisine and are known worldwide for it, but I can understand New Orleans getting the nod in this category. You really couldn't go wrong with either.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,155,815 times
What I really want to know is what are the big differences between the two outside of Gullah/Creole and Spanish/British? From everything I see and read they are beyond similar. I would ask this on the local forums, but I would probably leave the SC forum upset and the LA forum would probably be biased.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,485,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What I really want to know is what are the big differences between the two outside of Gullah/Creole and Spanish/British?
Good question. Even their local economies are similar, with the exception of energy in NOLA. Both have tourism, a good mix of educational institutions, and the ports as economic pillars. Both are prone to hurricanes. NOLA is much more of a party city, while Charleston considers itself more cultured and refined (some would say snobbish, LOL). NOLA has historically had more Blacks in political leadership positions than Charleston, which hasn't even had a Black mayor yet. Also, interestingly, Charleston doesn't have an HBCU. That's a little odd for a city where Black/African/Gullah culture has had a noticeable influence on the character of the city.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,445,462 times
Who has the better cuisine? I love food from N.O. but I don't eat the low country stuff (once at a local place in ATL) often. What's the difference between Savannah cuisine and Charleston's cuisines by the way (off topic a little, I know). These are two of the classic 5 Southern cities (the classic are too unique to be duplicated) and it's probably a toss up to me. This is probably a dumb question but do Charlestonians really sound like non-rhotic Canadians (still)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City