U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City Do you Prefer?
Charleston, SC 55 52.88%
New Orleans 49 47.12%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,701,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
What's the difference between Savannah cuisine and Charleston's cuisines by the way (off topic a little, I know).
Not a whole lot of difference, from what I can tell. They're both Lowcountry cities, so they have commonalities when it comes to cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,947,353 times
I've heard it mentioned once or twice, but am I right in saying that NOLA has won in terms of entertainment? My thought is that it does (music, sports).

I think that there are other activities in Charleston, specifically the beach, boating, etc. Not sure if recreational boating and outdoor activities are all that popular in NOLA.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 AM

12,448 posts, read 17,912,168 times
Charleston = your well-coiffed, impeccably dressed grandmother of good lineage who always greets her guests on the veranda with offer of an afternoon iced tea or lemonade.

New Orleans = her salty sister who curses like a longshoreman, has a 'past' and greets her guests with a pitcher of Rob Roys.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I've heard it mentioned once or twice, but am I right in saying that NOLA has won in terms of entertainment? My thought is that it does (music, sports).
Pretty much.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 AM

12,396 posts, read 13,405,028 times
visiting these cities strictly as a tourist and for the night life going on I prefer New Orleans, of course when I have visited it was usually during an event, jazz fest, new years, mardi gras, sugar bowl, voodoofest etc... so the activity level and stuff going on was always high...I'm just not sure how that would compare for me as a tourist in Charleston, NO was on a different level...
Now looking through the lens as a possible resident, its hard to say, I certainly haven't examined either as possible living options. But again, strictly as a tourist NO has the much bigger draw in my eyes.
I'm more of a culture/entertainment/history/food/music event/party traveler rather than a "scenic/beach/relax" traveler so NO just wins this in my eyes, and possibly others with the same interests when they want to "get away"
To me though somewhat architecturally similar, they have pretty different vibes and stuff going on when you are there.

Last edited by grapico; 08-13-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm more of a culture/entertainment/history/food/music event/party traveler rather than a "scenic/beach/relax" traveler so NO just wins this in my eyes, and possibly others with the same interests when they want to "get away"
Charleston typically gets the culture/history/food/special event traveler. Not many people go there solely for the beach or to relax; that's where Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head come into play. But NOLA does have more special events that draw much larger crowds, that's for sure. And there's nothing like Bourbon Street/the French Quarter in Charleston (although Charleston has a residential French Quarter neighborhood), and that's the way they like it.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,125,920 times
South Carolina, the land that god forgot. A truely hellish place.

New Orleans, the most cursed city. The US's version of Port au Prince(obviously not as bad).

I chose neither.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM

12,396 posts, read 13,405,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Charleston typically gets the culture/history/food/special event traveler. Not many people go there solely for the beach or to relax; that's where Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head come into play. But NOLA does have more special events that draw much larger crowds, that's for sure. And there's nothing like Bourbon Street/the French Quarter in Charleston (although Charleston has a residential French Quarter neighborhood), and that's the way they like it.
Yeah that is what I was getting at, the "big" special events that people flock from allover for, I am not sure Charleston has stuff on that scale.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM

16,623 posts, read 12,916,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
From my understanding of it..

Art - New Orleans
Music - New Orleans
Food - Tie, Slight edge to NOLA
Walk-ability - New Orleans
Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.) - Tie
History - Tie
Location - New Orleans
Lifestyle - Subjective
Weather - Charleston in the Summer/New Orleans in the winter.
Entertainment - New Orleans
QOL - Subjective
COL - Charleston
I agree, but I would add..

I think QOL in Charleston is significantly better than NOLA. Charleston has problems, but NOLA is very rough, poor, and dirty city by comparison. NOLA has a notoriously bad government, and it is really expensive to maintain infrastructure below sea level.

Natural amenities in Charleston, I think are better, too. There are a ton of saltwater marshes to explore by boat, and you can take a small boat to an uninhabited barrier island beach. Or you can drive to one within 15 min/1hour depending on where you are. My limited experience in the surrounding areas of New Orleans, are that it is flat, swampy, prone to flooding, and not near the beach. Plus, New Orleans has been abused, environmentally speaking. Charleston is not pristine, but it is in a cleaner and more natural state.

I'm not sure what would make NOLA more walkable than Charleston. I'm inclined to call that one a tie.

Food I'd say NOLA is the clear cut winner, even though Charleston has access to Atlantic seafood.

NOLA mainly has a cultural X factor that Charleston cannot match. Charleston does not have the music, arts, and cultural scene of New Orleans, not even close. Charleston does not have the crazy vibe, or the loud and colorful traditions. Charleston is buttoned-down and snobby, with a hippie subculture.

Last edited by le roi; 08-13-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,712,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
South Carolina, the land that god forgot. A truely hellish place.

New Orleans, the most cursed city. The US's version of Port au Prince(obviously not as bad).

I chose neither.
You continually flock to these type of threads to voice your disapproval. Have you EVER left the Northeast in your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City