Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:36 PM

699 posts, read 2,232,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that was not what I was disputing and you know it

1. I said that foreign born pop was a bad measure of diversity

2. I disputed the number you gave for Africans because one category of Africans are higher in numbers than the number you gave for all Africans, and they are so by more than 3 times

sooooooooooo
back to you!

Well you kept saying that Houston was more diverse, which I was trying to counter.

The foreign born population is a bad measure for true diversity, I told you I agreed with you. I just couldn't find any concrete, unbiased facts for determining the true number of these nationalities. But I said that just for comparison sake, it can be used as a "guide". It's not like there were a lot of African immigrants in the whole U.S. in 1990. The large wave of African immigration occurred recently.

The number I gave for Africans was the number I found according to the U.S. Census Bureau. I can't personally go down and count them, so I tried to use what the U.S. Census bureau goes by. I kind of tend to use government sources moreso than individual or random organizational remarks.

I remember when some Korean Economic Board of Washington (or something like that) claiming that there were 300,000 Koreans living in the Washington area. I was like "haha yeah, right", the Census has it lower than 100,000, and even has the New York City area with around 180,000. I know that there are a lot of Koreans in this area who overstay their visas/temporary residency and live in the U.S. illegally (yes, there are lots of illegal immigrants that aren't Hispanic), but I don't think it would more than triple the number that the U.S. Census had put down. These people are scandalous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,856,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
back to you!

Well you kept saying that Houston was more diverse, which I was trying to counter.
and that is true. You just find higher concentrations of different ethnicities in DC.

Quote:
The foreign born population is a bad measure for true diversity, I told you I agreed with you. I just couldn't find any concrete, unbiased facts for determining the true number of these nationalities. But I said that just for comparison sake, it can be used as a "guide". It's not like there were a lot of African immigrants in the whole U.S. in 1990. The large wave of African immigration occurred recently.

I have serious problems with using foreign born population as a guide being so far off.
Remember when you used this in the past to show that Houston is less diverse:

well lets us take a closer look to see how misleading this is.

For one it shows that 50% of the foreign born population is from Mexico, but is that really the percentage of Mexican in HOuston. No. The Mexican percentage is overblown in your chart.

The chart shows that 8% of the foreign born people in the Metro are from El Salvador, but is that the true percentage of people from El Salvador in the metro/ No that amouts to almost 500 000 people (about 5 times the true number of people from El SAlvador in Metro Houston.

So we agree that it is a bad measure of Diversity, can we also agree it is also a bad guide?

What we can use it for is to measure which has the more diverse foreign born population, and that I can give to DC

Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
Quote:

I don't know what the value for DC is, but when you give a value for all africans in houston at 41K when the estimate for nigerians alone in Houston is more than 100K. The stats are useless. I mean the number of total africans given are three times less than the number for one group of Africans. That is a discrepancy that totally throws off the whole studyy for me.
Curious, which study shows Houstons Nigerian population that high?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Curious, which study shows Houstons Nigerian population that high?

2010 Census shuns Houston African Community - Houston CIty Hall | Examiner.com

estimates the African pop at over 200K and of that Nigerians make up more than 50% Like the Mexican Hispanic population the African population here is heavily skewed to African.

Quote:
In 2000, the census system by-passed HOUSTON’S AFRICAN community and made up incredible figures to counter its dereliction. 2010, ten years later, this board remains so incompetently blind it still cannot correlate a large populace of Africans numbering more than 200,000! ...

The Census Board has proved indifferent in its approach to African affairs, investing virtually nothing in studying the culture and lifestyle of this vibrant community in order to enable them to structure a suitable strategic program management concept in approaching its delicate errands.

For instance, it is as laughable as the Y2K hoax to believe that there are less than 23,000 Africans in the Greater Houston area. Realistically, a street and community presence would alert any fool that Nigerians alone in District F negates that figure. Yet the Census Board has cared less about error identification or rectification of the 2000 boo-boo, and has proceeded ten years later with an even worse approach one could ever imagine in such a monumental project of governance.
Wikepedia estimates the Houston Nigerian population to be 2%

Quote:
The Nigerian community of Houston, estimated to be over 2.0% of the city's population, is the largest in the United States
2% of 6M is 120K

It is estimated that 60% of the African population in Houston is Nigerian so divide 120K by 60% and you should get an estimate of the total african population. You should get similar numbers to the number quoted in the article above

I am not saying his census figures is applicable, but if it was and you multiplied the 1.4% by Houston's population, you get 85K for nigerians alone. Far far higher than the number he is quoting for them.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
2010 Census shuns Houston African Community - Houston CIty Hall | Examiner.com

estimates the African pop at over 200K and of that Nigerians make up more than 50% Like the Mexican Hispanic population the African population here is heavily skewed to African.

Wikepedia estimates the Houston Nigerian population to be 2%

2% of 6M is 120K

It is estimated that 60% of the African population in Houston is Nigerian so divide 120K by 60% and you should get an estimate of the total african population. You should get similar numbers to the number quoted in the article above

I am not saying his census figures is applicable, but if it was and you multiplied the 1.4% by Houston's population, you get 85K for nigerians alone. Far far higher than the number he is quoting for them.
Its going to take more than that to make it official.

One person writing an article is far from a methodological study. He lists no methodology. Therefore it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Wikipedia is also not a valid source. We see these writings all the time. They had a similar one released by the DFW Korean chamber that said there are more than 90,000 Koreans in DFW. But there arent, the ACS places that number closer to 40k. They did something similar to the Koreans in Atlanta. This article is just a conspiracy theory. The authors rhetoric was actually quite funny. The who "us against the census" thing is stupid.

Bottom line is that it has to be an official study or it is not worth the time. No methodolgy + people with something to prove = Crap.

Is there another credible source for Houston's African and Nigerian populations? Hate to say it, but that article is not a valid source.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Its going to take more than that to make it official.

One person writing an article is far from a methodological study. He lists no methodology. Therefore it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Wikipedia is also not a valid source. We see these writings all the time. They had a similar one released by the DFW Korean chamber that said there are more than 90,000 Koreans in DFW. But there arent, the ACS places that number closer to 40k. They did something similar to the Koreans in Atlanta. This article is just a conspiracy theory. The authors rhetoric was actually quite funny. The who "us against the census" thing is stupid.

Bottom line is that it has to be an official study or it is not worth the time. No methodolgy + people with something to prove = Crap.

Is there another credible source for Houston's African and Nigerian populations? Hate to say it, but that article is not a valid source.

I am not saying it is avalid source I am saying all things seem to point that the census numbers are way off. Just visit Mision bend and you will see that census number is way off. Visit Missouri city, Visit the Bellaire and coporate area.

Besides, I am not here to prove the actual numbers I am just showing you that the number given is a gross underestimate.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Houston's Nigerian community distances itself from terrorism suspect | khou.com | khou.com Local News

Quote:
With 150,000 to 250,000 residents in Houston, Nigerian-Americans comprise two percent of the city's population, the largest Nigerian American population in the U.S.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Migration Information Source - Nigeria: Multiple Forms of Mobility in Africa's Demographic Giant

Quote:
According to the 2006-2008 ACS three-year estimates, Texas had the most Nigerian immigrants (about 17 percent of the population estimate for that three-year period), followed by Maryland and New York (about 12 percent each).The Nigerian Foundation in Houston, Texas, has estimated the size of the Nigerian community there (including US-born children) at 150,000 to 250,000.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Again, I would love to see something official. This isnt it. The Nigerian foundation is not a credible source for the Nigerian population. They have a reason for wanting the numbers to be more than they actually are. All ethinic foundations do. They do this to attract other ethnic run business and new residents.

We simply cannot accept numbers that do not have an official methodology and dont come from an official source.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Again, I would love to see something official. This isnt it. The Nigerian foundation is not a credible source for the Nigerian population. They have a reason for wanting the numbers to be more than they actually are. All ethinic foundations do. They do this to attract other ethnic run business and new residents.

We simply cannot accept numbers that do not have an official methodology and dont come from an official source.

Quote:
I am not saying it is avalid source I am saying all things seem to point that the census numbers are way off. Just visit Mision bend and you will see that census number is way off. Visit Missouri city, Visit the Bellaire and coporate area.

Besides, I am not here to prove the actual numbers I am just showing you that the number given is a gross underestimate.
go find your own darn numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City