U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: MD Vs MA
MD 31 50.00%
MA 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM

912 posts, read 950,451 times

Advertisements

Boston is the greatest ski town in New England. I was just in Baltimore; the area around Johns Hopkins is downright dangerous. The crabs were good. Too hot! Was glad to be back in MA.

I (heart) Cape Ann. My home.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,151,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
And where are you pics of Baltimore? NOT FAIR!!!!!
LOL, I don't even know the names of the sections of Baltimore. But I'll pull up what I can find. The only reason I wasn't able to post any pictures was because I didn't know anything about Baltimore and it's scenic areas, so I was hoping someone else could post it.

Baltimore:

This is all I could find based off what I was looking for. I hope this qualifies. Look at both of them, they look pretty similar oddly enough. (Boston & Baltimore)

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,284,278 times
Beautiful Baltimore:

It's an awesome city.
Those are the best pics I have of it, sorry I didn't see I was beat to it lol.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 08-12-2010 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM

829 posts, read 1,072,886 times
Thanks Danny and Roxy. Great pics of a great city.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Thanks Danny and Roxy. Great pics of a great city.
Anytime. And don't mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
sorry I didn't see I was beat to it lol.
Lol well it is me that we're talking about here. I work fast at what I do, like a ninja!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,770,281 times
I never got to elaborate since I made the poll then went to work- But I went with Maryland on this one.

Honestly, The two states are very similar.
I like Baltimore more than Boston, I always have. In reality, Boston is the more recognized, more "desirable" city, but I like the charm of the Baltimore Harbor more so than Boston's- I also love the small towns along the Chesapeake Bay (Havre De Grace specifically). I basically prefer the Baltimore/DC msa more in general than Boston's msa.

I love Silver Spring- It has a nice vibe to it, and it's a nice alternative to DC.

Frederick MD is a charming little city. It's location at the foot of the beautiful Appalachian mountains to me makes the city hands down one of the most beautiful "SMALL" cities in the north east.

MA has MD beat in the shoreline category, MA has the Cape/Martha's Vineyard which trumps any beach in MD (though Ocean City is no slouch). Everytime at the Jersey shore, I see plenty of MD plates- so apparently MD has access to a more diverse shore scene regardless..

Old 10-17-2010, 04:09 PM

646 posts, read 784,103 times
While I'll contend that Boston is a nicer city than Baltimore largely due to its superior public transit, lower crime rate, better public schools, and more/more upscale shopping opportunities, I prefer MD as a state to MA.

MA contains Boston, but isn't really adjacent to a prominent urban center, as Maryland is to DC. Also, I find the Maryland suburbs of DC to significantly more diverse than Boston suburbs; Montgomery County, MD comes off as having a much more educated population than MA's largest county, Middlesex County. While Baltimore and Boston may be equidistant from NYC, Baltimore is also very close to Philadelphia.

Oh yeah, the weather is a lot warmer.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM

So since I posted the last time, I have seen Baltimore after my last post. I am going to have to back track on my post and give this to Baltimore & Maryland.

Maryland for the win.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,018,366 times
Table: The Best States For Business And Careers - Forbes.com

Massachusetts is number 1 for quality of life in the country.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 7,764,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
While I'll contend that Boston is a nicer city than Baltimore largely due to its superior public transit, lower crime rate, better public schools, and more/more upscale shopping opportunities, I prefer MD as a state to MA.
You can add economy to this list too...Boston outdoes Baltimore in pretty much every quantifiable statistic (not a knock on B'more).

Quote:
MA contains Boston, but isn't really adjacent to a prominent urban center, as Maryland is to DC.
With all due respect, why should this matter? Massachusetts has a very prominent urban center within the state...why should it matter that we don't have one directly next to us? FWIW, we also have Worcester, Springfield, and then Providence right across the border of Rhode Island.

Quote:
Also, I find the Maryland suburbs of DC to significantly more diverse than Boston suburbs;
Are they?

Quote:
Montgomery County, MD comes off as having a much more educated population than MA's largest county, Middlesex County.
That seems doubtful. It may have a more educated population than Middlesex County, but Massachusetts--along with Maryland--is among the most educated states in the country. Neither one would have a large edge on one another. In terms of institutions of higher education, Massachusetts blows Maryland away.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the weather is a lot warmer.
Yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.