U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MD Vs MA
MD 31 50.00%
MA 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,599,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I enjoy arguing when i start the argument. Not when somebody says "oh, your opinion is wrong".

Love your pick an choose style btw.

edit: Lastly id just like to say:
1. Im here to talk about cities
2. Im here to argue about them. Its City Vs. City, not City together peacefully with City.

Hope that clears things up, bub.
I had to look backtrack. It's not that you "like" to argue- It's you "want" to argue.

Quote:
i just wanted to argue to be completely honest
~

And I still think Boston is a fairly friendly city, and that the locals don't have a "harsh" accent- I actually like their accents.
You said "one thing that Baltimore has over Boston is.." and followed with XYZ as if your claim was going to be acceptable by everyone. You can stand by your claim, but if your going to express these kinds of opinions, expect others opinions to follow. I have a right to quote you, disagree, and express the irony I'm seeing- After all, I'm the OP.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Hmm...Boston is probably the most friendly city I've been to, a lot more than Baltimore. I love both places though, and I love both states. If I got plopped down in the middle of either it wouldn't be the end of the world. Both have high QOL, great schools, great places for families, great medical care, although MD's crime is out of whack for the income/educational attainment of the residents.

Bottom line, I absolutely adore Boston, so I've got to give the edge to MA.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,213,428 times
These two are actually a good comparison to make.

-I'll take the Mass coastal enclaves because whereas Maryland has Annapolis, Massachusetts has Newburyport, Rockport, Marblehead, Edgartown and Nantucket. All really cool, preserved coastal gems.

-The wild coastal areas (beaches, inlets) are a draw. Maryland has a huge sheltered bay that is very user friendly. Massachusetts is on the open ocean.

-I'll take Maryland's bucolic farmlands over Massachusetts'. They are some of the most beautiful parts of the entire nation.

-Boston is head and shoulders above Baltimore.

-Location: Maryland has the edge due to climate and centralized location. Although being in New England ain't too shabby.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM

15,666 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Few people seem to mention the mountains in western Maryland and places like Cumberland and Deep Creek Lake. Very nice topography out there. Contrast that with Ocean City, which has all kinds of watersports, and is also in Maryland.

BTW, I really like Massachussetts too. It's the east coast after all. :-)

Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM

180 posts, read 328,367 times
Massachusetts, not a question. But that's because I don't mind winter.

Baltimore Vs Boston - Boston for sure....
MD's Harbor Vs MA's Harbor - Hmm I'd say MA
MD's Location Vs MA's Location - Tie
MD's natural Beauty Vs MA's natural beauty - MA no doubt. Fall foliage there is ridonk.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,190,859 times
Interesting match-up.

Both of these states quintessentially represent two spectacular regions: New England & the Mid-Atlantic, which are actually similar in a lot of ways. Both are chock full of history, wealth, interesting local culture, and great natural beauty (the abundant lake and foliage settings in MA are gorgeous, but MD's Piedmont setting boasts stunning lush rolling hills that cannot be found in New England). Also, many people are reducing these states to a battle of B'more vs. Boston, but let's not forget both states contain many awesome smaller towns/cities (think Annapolis, Frederick, Ellicott City, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, etc. in MD and Concord, Lexington, Brookline, Salem, various Cape Cods towns, etc. in MA).

Overall, although I have strong ties to the Mid-Atlantic, I would choose Mass. (I've visited there a lot lately, and it is absolutely somewhere I could see myself living long-term) -- but this certainly should not be a landslide.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-19-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
I love both states!

This seems to be a dual between Boston and Baltimore kind of thread. However DC is pretty much carved right out of Maryland and has a signifigant influence on the state of MD itself. So for urban ammenitties I Love DC and I sorta like Baltimore so I take that over Boston.

I have mixed feelings about Boston, I love Boston on some days and hate it on other days. I'm not bi-polar I just travel a lot so I can see what the city lacks and there are so many people that feel that Boston is the be all and end all city because it has the crown jewels of education and historic architecture. I also appreciate contemporary architecture and modern transit and quite frankly the Capital Beltway suburbs and DC metro system trumps Boston and its 128/95 suburbs by a mile. DC and Baltimore are also very well connected, only 45 minutes apart!

Natural beauty could be well contested here as Maryland is a beauitiful state with the Chespeake Bay and Appalachian Hills. But I will give the edge to Massachusetts here as it seems to have more superlatives like Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. Also the bucolic beauty of the Berkshires and cultural attractions there are unmatched by western MD. Mass. also has great access to the mountains of NH/VT and the scenic and rocky coast of Maine. NYC and Montreal are within a reasonable distance as well.

I like semi rural areas so I appreciate New England. So urban go's to MD, natural/rural areas go's to Mass.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM

15,666 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Yeah, I live in Maryland and call this comparison dead even. Let's not forget that Maryland borders on Washington, D.C., Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, the Atlantic Ocean and is very close to New Jersey as well. So you can't run out of things to do in the area. And even if you did, there's New York City only a few hours drive away. ;-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-19-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,038,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I had to look backtrack. It's not that you "like" to argue- It's you "want" to argue.
On that day, yes, i wanted to argue. Usually, i kind of do enjoy arguing because that is the exact reason i come to these boards. If i want to do so, usually that means i enjoy or "like" to do so. Unfortunately this argument reflects very poorly on you because 1. you told me my opinion was wrong because of crime etc, 2. you took told me you didn't take me seriously because you didn't read it in context and didn't want to deal with my post and 3.Were just extremely rude in general.
~

Quote:
And I still think Boston is a fairly friendly city, and that the locals don't have a "harsh" accent- I actually like their accents.
You said "one thing that Baltimore has over Boston is.." and followed with XYZ as if your claim was going to be acceptable by everyone. You can stand by your claim, but if your going to express these kinds of opinions, expect others opinions to follow. I have a right to quote you, disagree, and express the irony I'm seeing- After all, I'm the OP.
I don't find Boston friendly. It simply wasn't my experience. I wasn't mean per se, but it was definenlty not friendly. You can say that locals don't have a harsh accent but im not sure what you are trying to prove. These are simply opinions. I think it is a very harsh and somewhat ugly accent. Sorry for my opinion on an opinionated forum.

I said "one thing that Baltimore has over Boston is.." to say my opinion. It was extremely obvious it was opinion because that is something that cannot be proven. I was injected humor in the post. Perhaps you interpreted as fact, but that just shows ignorance to interpretation. I stand by my claim one hundred percent. I like boston. Don't like the accents. Don't really care for the people I encountered. You're "opinion" was meant to knock Baltimore. Sorry if i don't take kindly to that. My post wasn't knocking Boston or being extremely rude as you were. Disagree as much as you like. Just don't be as rude as you are being.

Being the op gives you not one advantage. Sorry. Perhaps a power trip.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 PM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
Boston is friendly

Quote:
On that day, yes, i wanted to argue. Usually, i kind of do enjoy arguing because that is the exact reason i come to these boards. If i want to do so, usually that means i enjoy or "like" to do so. Unfortunately this argument reflects very poorly on you because 1. you told me my opinion was wrong because of crime etc, 2. you took told me you didn't take me seriously because you didn't read it in context and didn't want to deal with my post and 3.Were just extremely rude in general.
~

I don't find Boston friendly. It simply wasn't my experience. I wasn't mean per se, but it was definenlty not friendly. You can say that locals don't have a harsh accent but im not sure what you are trying to prove. These are simply opinions. I think it is a very harsh and somewhat ugly accent. Sorry for my opinion on an opinionated forum.

I said "one thing that Baltimore has over Boston is.." to say my opinion. It was extremely obvious it was opinion because that is something that cannot be proven. I was injected humor in the post. Perhaps you interpreted as fact, but that just shows ignorance to interpretation. I stand by my claim one hundred percent. I like boston. Don't like the accents. Don't really care for the people I encountered. You're "opinion" was meant to knock Baltimore. Sorry if i don't take kindly to that. My post wasn't knocking Boston or being extremely rude as you were. Disagree as much as you like. Just don't be as rude as you are being.

Being the op gives you not one advantage. Sorry. Perhaps a power trip.
Boston is friendly, especially to those who are friendly also. There is a common phrase that is said often, perhaps cliched but true nonetheless, "you get what you give." So in that light your opinion of Boston's unfriendliness and harsh accent was likely preconcieved before you even got here. This post just reflects just a bunch of bickering, judgemental, and defensive jibba jabba, so what would you know about friendly? The post even states you like to argue, so what would you expect otherwise? Settle your scores somewhere else.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-19-2010 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City