U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: SoCal or Jersey Shore?
SoCal all the way bro! 108 68.35%
Jersey Shore all the way yo! 50 31.65%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 AM

14 posts, read 4,984 times

Advertisements

Jersey Shore my man. Cali's great, but the Jersey area is home, so it's no competition for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,211,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarJarBinksFan69 View Post
The biggest difference between Jersey and California is the number of mafia members. But in Cali you have Russian and Armenian mobs and MS-13.

But let's be honest, we all know who controls Jersey including the coast...Fughedabaoutit!
Just saying, we have MS-13 here in NJ too and the Shoobies only think they control the beaches. Also, North (as in North of LBI) and South (as in South of LBI) Jersey are too very different beach scenes, and even then no two towns/islands are exactly alike.

I voted for my home area the Jersey Shore, but not just because it's my home/I love Jersey

1. Warmer water
2. Beach + Snow = awesome (as in being in awe, not like a hotdog; see Eddie Izzard sketch for details)
3. When I go to beaches, even in NJ, that I don't normally go to something feels off.
4. Best boadwalks in the world
5. Now, I have not traveled much, but according to my friend's parents who have been all over the world from Greek beaches to the French Riviera to SoCal to Florida to North Carolina, NJ has the best beaches. Their reasoning; they're clean, almost always guarded, not rocky, still near civilization (the one thing I hold against N.C.'s outer banks, but can be a positive), and they love the boardwalk.
6. On the issue of surfing, NJ can be the better location, in that although the waves are smaller, there's more of them.
7. The off season. Going to a beach on a cold crisp December day is one of the most peaceful things you can do IMO.
8. NJ beaches have the HIGHEST standard of water cleanliness in the nation. If the water is not up to snuff, the beach will be closed, and the beaches almost never close (at least for that reason and they have not done so in resent memory). And yes, this is a result of the 1980's syringe tide caused by NYC. I saw someone mention Beachwood as being one of the filthiest beaches in the U.S., it's not even along the coast let along one of the back bays. I'm also willing to bet that the water there might even be fresh, or at least brackish (the more likely of the three).

Anyway, it's all subjective and a matter of opinion. Southern California beaches have better surf in terms of wave size and much more dramatic scenery. They are also much more iconic. Southern California is also warm year round, which some people (not me) enjoy. Plus, it's a lot easier to watch the sun set than to watch it rise (although you can do both in Cape May). Some people like surf, sand, and sun all year round, others (like me) want peace, seasons, and boardwalks.

Here's a bit of trivia. Captain Kidd is said to have buried treasure somewhere on the coast of NJ.

P.S. to the troll, NJ is also a premier destination for Quebecois, especially the Wildwoods (heck, I've scene signs and advertisements in French). Most people come to there Jersey Shore not because they can't go to the tropics, but because they want to. For some people, if they don't go to the same town that they have gone to year after year, their summer is not complete. Point being, like I said earlier everyone has their own opinions, likes/dislikes, and it's all subjective. "Different strokes for different folks"

P.P.S. I'd like to thank most of you guys for staying civil about this and realizing that stereotypes are not true. This goes both ways. Also, I can't emphasize this enough, but the cast of "The Jersey Shore" (minus one) are all from NY. They're the kind of people that locals curse, and I thank God don't come as far south as where I live, work, and play (well some do, but not enough for me to really notice)

Last edited by jknic; 08-17-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,411,999 times
What happened to "Jersey Shore" this season? The show is being filmed in Miami.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,626,175 times
That show is lame.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,411,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
That show is lame.
I know it; I was surprised that MTV brought it back for another season since it is basically an exact repeat of what happened last year. But Snooki looks really hot this year!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,646,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
That show is lame.
Only lame? You're being nice lol

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,706,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What happened to "Jersey Shore" this season? The show is being filmed in Miami.
A bunch of NYers in Miami, and the name "Jersey Shore" sticks?
I was in Seaside Heights sunday, and I saw the shore house- It seemed like there was a lot going on, there was a big crowd across the street just waiting for anything. Apparently the show is going to move to the Jersey shore halfway throw this 2nd season.. It's not doing well in MIA from what I'm noticing.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,626,175 times
I hope they don't come to SoCal or I'll have to punch snooki in her already deformed nose.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,485,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I was in Seaside Heights sunday, and I saw the shore house- It seemed like there was a lot going on, there was a big crowd across the street just waiting for anything. Apparently the show is going to move to the Jersey shore halfway throw this 2nd season.. It's not doing well in MIA from what I'm noticing.
I heard they were only filming like a couple of club scenes in Miami but the rest would be back in Jersey. But yeah man, a lot of people in Miami were saying that they don't need anymore attention with reality tv shows and stuff, especially not from the Jersey Shore cast.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM

11,688 posts, read 21,315,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't see the cast...they're there. A friend of mine posted a bunch of pictures of them (his pix) on FB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City