U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,702,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It was one isolated incident by a young crazy male...and it happened in his house not out on the street but a bunch of thugs...

Pittsburgh is the 7 safest city in the US, Philadelphia is the 8 most dangerous...those are facts.

I never said ALL Philly neighborhoods, but there are a "SIGNIFICANT" AMOUNT and I listed those out, and out of the ones listed the only one you've spent time in was Kensington...PERIOD! and I dont see you refuting my list of ghetto neighborhoods either, so I must be telling the truth....
please blackbeauty just leave that Philly mess alone. I understand what you meant in your first post but this thread is just getting out of hand.

worst part about it is I have always wanted to visit Philly. While everyone first choice in the Northeast was NYC I always wanted to go to Philly more. Now this thread is making me look at it differently smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
please blackbeauty just leave that Philly mess alone. I understand what you meant in your first post but this thread is just getting out of hand.

worst part about it is I have always wanted to visit Philly. While everyone first choice in the Northeast was NYC I always wanted to go to Philly more. Now this thread is making me look at it differently smh.
You should still visit Philly, its has a remarkably vibrant Downtown..I actually prefer it to Manhattan as Center City is much more manageable its Manhattanesque without all the Glitz and Glam.....I'm just not on the bandwagon of cheerleaders that want the rest of us to believe that Philly is above all other cities and in the league of NYC and LA with no problems what so ever.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,605,730 times
Quote:
All you Philly people have done nothing but complain smh. "I don't know why Philly is up there" smh. Where the hell have you all been? Last I checked there are plenty of people on C-D calling Philly a bad or ghetto city. I just read another thread today saying Philly was ghetto. "Worst city in the Northeast" or something like that. I THOUGHT I was doing a favor by including Philly in my thread silly me smh. Instead of complaining about why Philly shouldn't be apart of this thread you all should have just posted some pictures, positive things in the city or SOMETHING! gosh. As for your little comments on me not knowing about Camden, once again I didn't say I did. BUT you could have kept you little negative comments.
So when I said "I don't know why Philly is up there" that makes me a "philly person" who's a "complainer" and I've imaginably "spread negative comments about every city"???- I'm assuming you crapped yourself too

You're going at me for saying that one, little thing about not mentioning Philly (I didn't even think of you any less because of it either btw) but you haven't quoted the rants of BlackBeauty bashing Philly for pages on end after people have told her stop? It seems like you're just full of yourself. You don't care HOW this thread has got ruined, all you care about is yourself and how people (on a side note) disagreed with you adding Philly to the list. Having Philly up there was obviously just too controversial- Hence why you shouldn't of added it.
And besides that one remark (which wasn't a complaint really), the rest of what I said was positive. You apparantly are the nit-picking queen/king of CD.

Your all over the place, and overly sensitive. Check yourself, your ruining your own thread.

And I do apologize spewing the negatives about Camden, but I did in fact spew the positive. The city is just too small to get a mention. It only gets recognition because of its crime. If it wasn't dangerous, no one would even give Camden a second thought- Have you heard of the city Brick?.... Yeah I thought so. (Brick is in NJ. It's been named the safest city in the nation, and it's about the size of Camden- No one knows it exist when people are busy bashing NJ for having Camden)
Basically, leave small dangerous cities OUT of it- There's not much you can talk about without making it seem like a complete fairy tale.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You should still visit Philly, its has a remarkably vibrant Downtown..I actually prefer it to Manhattan as Center City is much more manageable its Manhattanesque without all the Glitz and Glam.....I'm just not on the bandwagon of cheerleaders that want the rest of us to believe that Philly is above all other cities and in the league of NYC and LA with no problems what so ever.
man the people on this thread are ridiculous. Instead of participating in the thread the first thing they yell is "Why is Philly on this list......Philly is tiers above Detroit and Baltimore". I have a feeling my once positive thread is going to be shut down soon

Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
So when I said "I don't know why Philly is up there" that makes me a "philly person" who's a "complainer" and I've imaginably "spread negative comments about every city"???- I'm assuming you crapped yourself too

You're going at me for saying that one, little thing about not mentioning Philly (I didn't even think of you any less because of it either btw) but you haven't quoted the rants of BlackBeauty bashing Philly for pages on end after people have told her stop? It seems like you're just full of yourself. You don't care HOW this thread has got ruined, all you care about is yourself and how people (on a side note) disagreed with you adding Philly to the list. Having Philly up there was obviously just too controversial- Hence why you shouldn't of added it.
And besides that one remark (which wasn't a complaint really), the rest of what I said was positive. You apparantly are the nit-picking queen/king of CD.

Your all over the place, and overly sensitive. Check yourself, your ruining your own thread.

And I do apologize spewing the negatives about Camden, but I did in fact spew the positive. The city is just too small to get a mention. It only gets recognition because of its crime. If it wasn't dangerous, no one would even give Camden a second thought- Have you heard of the city Brick?.... Yeah I thought so. (Brick is in NJ. It's been named the safest city in the nation, and it's about the size of Camden- No one knows it exist when people are busy bashing NJ for having Camden)
Basically, leave small dangerous cities OUT of it- There's not much you can talk about without making it seem like a complete fairy tale.
one last time because I refuse to keep talking about Philly smh
Now you want to change what you said about Camden?! lmao. Who cares how small Camden is or how much crime is in the city? I don't! All I said was where were all my Camden people to participate in the thread and you went on and on about how bad it was calling the city all types of names. I'm pretty sure there are people in Camden who really love their city. Detroit has been called some of everything! including Americas Toilet, S***hole of America, Worst City etc have been mistaken to the number 1 murder city when it wasn't. People will say"Oh don't go to Detoit the gangs will kill you" really? what gangs?. or the everlasting "Detroit is a wasteland". Now should I not have included my own city? Like I already stated BLACKBEAUTY should have just left it alone. I understand what her FIRST post was about because some other idiot from Philly decided to say "Philly is tiers above Detroit and Baltimore". But because she thought otherwise she was wrong? lmao. I've actually been trying to ignore her and the rest of you with this Philly vs the world bs but YOU were the one reply negative about Camden simply because I mentioned it? wow smh.

Unless this thread gets back on topic I'll wash my hands of this thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 AM

6,920 posts, read 11,892,960 times
Quote:
It was one isolated incident by a young crazy male...and it happened in his house not out on the street but a bunch of thugs...

Pittsburgh is the 7 safest city in the US, Philadelphia is the 8 most dangerous...those are facts.

I never said ALL Philly neighborhoods, but there are a "SIGNIFICANT" AMOUNT and I listed those out, and out of the ones listed the only one you've spent time in was Kensington...PERIOD! and I dont see you refuting my list of ghetto neighborhoods either, so I must be telling the truth....

All the cities on this list have a significant amount... they might also have an equal amount of good neighborhoods.

For example, Oakland has its fair share of very dangerous neighborhoods, and East Oakland gets the worst rep out of all of the sides. If I was going to break the bad neighborhoods of East Oakland down, it would look something like this:

• Jingletown
  • Lower Seminary
  • Havenscourt
  • Castlemont
  • Sobrante Park
  • Brookfield Village
  • Iveywood

While this may look like a lot of neighborhoods on paper, one should note that all of the East Oakland neighborhoods except for Jingletown and Lower Seminary are all within the greater area known as Deep East Oakland, which spans a 35 block area starting at 70th ave and ending at 106th. Lower Seminary is adjacent to and is often lumped in with DEO. Jingletown is the only outlier. The rest of East Oakland ranges from poor to firmly middle class; while crime does occur in the rest of East Oakland, the majority of violent crime occurs in DEO. All of East Oakland itself spans from 1st ave to 106th, so this gives you an idea of how large East Oakland is and that DEO is a relatively small portion of it.

Now, if I was going to do a breakdown of the firmly middle class neighborhoods in East Oakland, it would look something like this:

• Maxwell Park
  • Redwood Heights
  • Upper Dimond
  • Glenview
  • Lincoln Highlands
  • Eastmont Hills
  • Cleveland Heights

lower middle class would look something like this:

• Millsmont
  • Allendale
  • Ivy Hill
  • Dimond
  • Laurel
  • Lynn

Working Class:

• Highland Park
  • Fruitvale
  • San Antonio
  • Jefferson
  • Fairfax

And then you have the Oakland Hills which are Upper Middle Class and home to some of the nicest homes in the bay area.

East Oakland gets painted as one giant ghetto by the media which simply isn't true... there are extremely dangerous areas but there are also nice areas and everything inbetween. I'm not saying you're doing the same to Philly but to an extent I think you are... I would think that Philly would have as many if not more nice areas as Oakland seeing as it has a lower crime rate and a better reputation.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
one last time because I refuse to keep talking about Philly smh
Now you want to change what you said about Camden?! lmao. Who cares how small Camden is or how much crime is in the city? I don't! All I said was where were all my Camden people to participate in the thread and you went on and on about how bad it was calling the city all types of names. I'm pretty sure there are people in Camden who really love their city. Detroit has been called some of everything! including Americas Toilet, S***hole of America, Worst City etc have been mistaken to the number 1 murder city when it wasn't. People will say"Oh don't go to Detoit the gangs will kill you" really? what gangs?. or the everlasting "Detroit is a wasteland". Now should I not have included my own city? Like I already stated BLACKBEAUTY should have just left it alone. I understand what her FIRST post was about because some other idiot from Philly decided to say "Philly is tiers above Detroit and Baltimore". But because she thought otherwise she was wrong? lmao. I've actually been trying to ignore her and the rest of you with this Philly vs the world bs but YOU were the one reply negative about Camden simply because I mentioned it? wow smh.

Unless this thread gets back on topic I'll wash my hands of this thread
What?

I didn't change anything what I said about Camden- I said it was small and dangerous then, and I said it now- I apologized for spewing the negative, I guess that's the laughable "change" you're referring to - You're one big wreck at this point.

I love how you put "FIRST post" in all caps, and giving her credit for downplaying Philly and then proceeded to call the Philly defender an idiot - My first post shed positive light on 5 cities in one post- But the only thing that matters to you was my side note "Philly shouldn't;t of been mentioned" (which is positive for Philly's sake, no?)

You made this thread so people can speak positively about specific cities- Saying Philly shouldn't be mentioned should be a good thing on Philly's part.. If you really meant what you said in the title, then people saying this about philly shouldn't bother you- But you rather vent your feelings then let the thread go accordingly.

Last edited by BPerone201; 09-06-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
He doesn't have too Genius - He obviously has a LOVE for Philadelphia like yourself that allows him to deny the truth....You only have to follow his constant defending of Philly to show....

Now Enjoy shooting it out with the cops....I'm sure UKEE Washington will have it tomorrow morning on the news.
Why would I deny the truth? I live in Newark!
I'm completely aware of how bad my city can be. So what makes you so sure to assume that I'm denying "the truth" about Philly? You're dead wrong

Truth is, Philly is a great, thriving, historic city (with some rough areas) but overall remains one of my favorite cities, dozens of spots ahead of Pittsburgh. Philly's pros outshine it's crime drastically. You can post all the youtube vids you want- My opinion remains.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,615,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove;
man the people on this thread are ridiculous. Instead of participating in the thread the first thing they yell is "Why is Philly on this list......Philly is tiers above Detroit and Baltimore". I have a feeling my once positive thread is going to be shut down soon
detroitlove:
Don't give up just yet. People tend to see their native regions through lenses that others typically don't in many cases. It doesn't necessarily mean that either view is right or wrong. The only reason this thread ignited this much of a firestorm is because it's on C-D. I'm confident the same argument wouldnt've taken such a nasty turn on other forums or via open discussion.

With that said, you also said "etc" in your title, so I'll take this opportunity to add Memphis to the list since I'm here until tomorrow.

This is my first time visiting since 06, and I have to admit that C-D has actually helped me see things from a different perspective in that regard. This is one city that's dripping with character and appeal. I was driving along West Carolina Ave. earlier, and the architecture is truly amazing. The riverfront homes and condos are breathtaking.

The new Fed-Ex Forum off Beale St. is very impressive, as is Auto Zone park. The design of both blend perfectly with Memphis' architectural aesthetic. Large crowds (mostly blues fans) lined the streets earlier, and last night was really crazy. I tend to venture out in all directions whenever I visit places so I don't miss much. I'm just nosey like that!

I'm actually paying attention to things I hadn't prior, so I see much progress here just as in some of the aformentioned cities. Memphis' urban core is pretty darn dense for it's size, and I can admit that's it's a bit understated. Still very similar to N.O. in many ways, and it's still all about Fed-Ex here.lol. It's a nice change of pace from what I'm accustom to that's for certain.

The only thing I've managed to bypass is the BBQ, but only because I've never cared for it in general. I'm hungry now, so I may have to compromise if things don't look up. Memphis is still vibrant, and the natives still humble and approachable.

Go Grizzlies!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 AM

149 posts, read 380,746 times
Quote:
Philly needs a Rudy Guilliani mayor in the worst way.....its a disgrace that while the city's crown jewel flourishes, the rest of the city is a war zone.
Again, here is your quote. If you need reminding the "crown jewel" you refer to is Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or