U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,697,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I imagine you wearing an "I [heart] the Cleave" hat and t-shirt everyday of the week. Are you being paid by the city of Cleveland to advertise?

Anyway, good information on Cleveland. Never been, but I'll have to make a trip there someday.
I'm not employed by the city of Cleveland, but all of my friends tell me that I certainly should be.

Yup, I certainly do wear a Cleveland t-shirt, baseball cap and in the autumn, I'll be wearing my Cleveland jacket, too! LOL
Seriously tho, Cleveland is such an attractive ... and an unjustifiably maligned city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There is no point of putting Philly in that list. Philly is tiers above those cities and is growing unlike those cities. Putting Philly in the list is stupid just like including Chicago, or Atlanta in the list, all three cities have their armpits, (not as many bad areas/arm pits, and overall depressing character, as the cities mentioned in the topic by the way) but those three cities have nice and vibrant areas and character that outshine their armpit sections of their city.
Well shoot me for making a POSITIVE thread and including Philly

Actually fyi there is a point in including Philly when I've read plenty of negative comments about the city on C-D. The day I made this thread, matter of fact, I read about 3 threads with negative comments about Philly. I've never been to Philly but I always wanted to go, like I mentioned on various other threads. Depressing character? you sound like the rest of these idiots smh. Last I checked non of the cities have that much of a depressing character when they still have plenty of people who love and care for it. For instance many ppl boast about NO culture and food, many ppl who have been to Detroit within the last couple of yrs love our downtown and things they are doing around the city, plenty of ppl still choose Bmore over other cities strictly for areas with nice row houses etc. Although most of the cities I named do get dragged through the dirt, some people can still find positives. hence why I made this thread.

Btw, no offense but I've never heard anyone put Philly in the same categories as Chicago, Atlanta, NYC or LA. Either on C-D or in reality

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of Cleveland, Philly, Bmore etc so far. I really do appreciate it. To everyone else who seem to want to push this thread to a "Philly vs. The World" thread please save those comments. This is not a comparison thread. Its a thread to uplift cities that I see on C-D getting put down daily. Sorry I couldn't reply to every positive post so far.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Detroit

Detroit has a lot of things going on here, especially in the summer, that I think many people would love if they were more open-minded.
Downtown, Midtown, New Center area, Corktown and Mexicantown all have wonderful new and old restaurants. Here is a short list:

-Italian: Andiamo and Agelina Italian Bistro are two spots for good Italian food in the city. Both are located Downtown. There is also a place in the Eastern Market called Roma Cafe that I hear pretty good
-Asian: There is Oslo Thai Restaraunt downtown as well as 2 Rice Bowls (Chinese) & Bangkok Crossing to name of few. There are actually quite a few thai/chinese/japenese places in Downtown Detroit and around the whole city. Too many to name lol. Those are just a few I know of that have good food and a good atmosphere.
-American: Of course there are plenty. There is National Coney Island, Five guys, Hockeytown Cafe, Lucky's Bar & Grille, Fuddruckers etc.

There are also other restaurants such as the Taste of Ethiopia in the Eastern Market & Salad Creations in Downtown for a healthier choice. Wolfgang Puck, 24grille, Chelli Chilli, Forty-two degrees north, and They Say are all good. For a blend of different foods Small Plates is really good. For soulfood we have southern fires and Steve's (there are many others ouside of downtown as well). Fishbone's and Louisiana Creole for Cajun/Creole food. There is a Cuban restaurant called Vicente's that is very popular. For Mexican food almost any restaurant in Mexicantown is good. Greektown for greekfood and a couple of middle-eastern spots as well are in the city. One of the BEST pizza places is called Taste Pizzabar located downtown Detroit as well as Pizza Papalis for Chicago style pizza.

There are also plenty of bars/clubs in Detroit. Such as Centaur, Cloud 9, Elysium lounge, Oslo, Lucky's and Shotz Greektown to name a few

If you're looking for museums and art we have the DIA (Detroit Institute of Art) African Amer museum, Detroit Artists Market, Detroit Historical Museum, Museum of Comtemporary Art etc. We also have a number of Theatres as well.

For events the most popular events would be the African World Festival, The Hoedown, Detroit Electronic Music Festival, Riverdayz, The Auto Show, Winter Blast, Jazz Festival, and the Fireworks.

This is some stuff going on here. I'll list more later.

Last edited by detroitlove; 09-02-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Downtown Detroit Partnership | Photos of Downtown Detroit (http://downtowndetroit.org/ddp/photos.htm - broken link)

Here are some photos

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,315,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly should just be walled in, like Escape from NY

Yes Philly has bad areas and great ones, the bad ones unfortunatley are getting better one street at a time, so will take time but on the whole Philly is in a way better position than it was 25 years ago
Care to share on how that happening and with what neoghborhood....i know WOL was making serious progress but is back in the news quite often with violent crimes....this is thw only nabe im aware of that was trying to thwart the crime.....Ogontz was beautified and cleaned up....

Old 09-02-2010, 07:36 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Care to share on how that happening and with what neoghborhood....i know WOL was making serious progress but is back in the news quite often with violent crimes....this is thw only nabe im aware of that was trying to thwart the crime.....Ogontz was beautified and cleaned up....

Wow you are fun

One the area around Temple for one, just announced yesterday a 1.2 billion investment into the neighborhood and campus (also raising the campus population to 36,000). Port Richmond and parts of Kensington, East Falls, Roxborough etc all significantly improved over time. The Passyunk area not as bad as other areas has made significant progress along with areas like pennsport, fishtown, and the southern part of G-ho continues to get better. In west philly block by block is getting better month by month. Now rome wasnt built in a day and niether will the neighborhoods in Philly. one thing I will say is in watching the city since the 80s, i am more and more proud of this great city everyday, and believe more and more eveyday it is only going to get better. Not perfect, but i see some perfect imperfections all the time, and love it just the same.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 PM

164 posts, read 297,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
WTF - Get a clue.....Germantown (Stenton, Chelton, Chew) Olney (Broad Olney, 5th Olney, Rising Sun Av) Frankford are not bad????? who are you kidding...I lived in Philly ok these neighborhood are on the news everynight....

They are only a sampling...would you like me to run down the list.....

Frankford.
Olney
Kensington
North Philly
Germantown
West Oak Lane
Southwest (Woodlawn Ave)
West Philly (52 Market)
South Philly west of Broad - Greys Ferry
Nicetown
Hunting Park
Junita Park
Overbrook (from Malvern toward Morris Park and 69th Street)
Lawncrest
Lawndale
Oxford Circle
Mantua

These are all Significant GHETTO's of Philadelphia....Let be real, you're not talking to someone who only been within Center City, or haven't been to Philadelphia at all...

They don't call it Killadelphia for nothing.
I can't deny that Philly has some bad areas. I think most people who know the city will concede that the majority of North Philly, significant portions of West Philly, most of Southwest, and the Pointbreeze area of South Philly are rough areas. Germantown has bad areas, and is probably the worst area in the Northwest section of the city (the Northwest on a whole is decent). But I can't get with the stereotype that everything good about Philly is in "Center City" while the rest of the city is a big "Ghetto." That's an exaggeration and too simplistic.

Your list of bad sections & neighborhoods can be shortened. You already mentioned North Philly (North Central Phila). Nicetown & Hunting Park are both considered parts of "North Philly," so mentioning them separately is redundant. Overbrook and Mantua (we call Mantua "the bottom") are both parts of West Philly, so again--redundant. Kensington always had issues--it just changed from a poor/working-class white area to an increasingly Puerto Rican area when the PRs began to move in from the eastern part of North Philly. I'm not as familiar with the other parts of lower Northeast Philly that you mentioned.

As far as West Philly, I admit that Overbrook (the "hill top") has gone down compared to how it once was, but Mantua has turned the corner and is in the best state that it's been in for decades. Mantua was one of the worst neighborhoods in Philly since the 1960s. Gang problems in the '70s, a "Shower Posse" stronghold in the mid-'80s, and violent for most of the 90s. Now it's it's comparatively calm, clean, and attracting student residents from Drexel. I was impressed when I happened to drive through that area recently.

As far as West Oak Lane--that section shouldn't be on your list at all; it's nothing like the worst parts of NP or WP. It has problems, but West Oak Lane has NEVER been a "Ghetto." It might have some ignorant young nuts who "want to be" ghetto or want to act ghetto, but it has NEVER been a "ghetto." West Oak Lane is a Black, solidly working class/middle-class neighborhood. I consider a ghetto to be a place with vacant homes, abandoned buildings, vacant lots, and where a significant portion of the residents are in poverty or members of the struggling working-class (the working poor) or the underclass. West Oak Lane doesn't fit that description. There are thriving businesses up & down Ogontz Ave. That's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city.

I'll try to discuss the nature of the city's crime issues when I have time. The violent crime rate needs to go down, but it's nowhere near as bad as it once was (in late 80s thru the 90s). Homicides spiked in 2006-2007, but have gone down a significant percentage since then. Philly now, also has one of the highest "clearance" rates on its homicides, significantly higher than many other cities. I'm not saying that to minimize the problem that DOES exist, but the city is NOT a "warzone."

People are always comparing Philly to NY, or Baltimore to DC. At their worst (in my recent lifetime) NY's crime & violence was worse than Philly's and DC was a more violent city than Baltimore. All four of the cities' homicide rates have gone down significantly over the past two decades. NY's and DC's drops have been more dramatic, but those two cities (Wall Street/The Federal Government) had better economic means to address their issues (whether by law-enforcement and/or hiring more cops, funding social programs, creating jobs, etc.)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM

164 posts, read 297,473 times

YouTube - West Oak Lane

Here's a decent video on West Oak Lane.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,315,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Wow you are fun

One the area around Temple for one, just announced yesterday a 1.2 billion investment into the neighborhood and campus (also raising the campus population to 36,000). Port Richmond and parts of Kensington, East Falls, Roxborough etc all significantly improved over time. The Passyunk area not as bad as other areas has made significant progress along with areas like pennsport, fishtown, and the southern part of G-ho continues to get better. In west philly block by block is getting better month by month. Now rome wasnt built in a day and niether will the neighborhoods in Philly. one thing I will say is in watching the city since the 80s, i am more and more proud of this great city everyday, and believe more and more eveyday it is only going to get better. Not perfect, but i see some perfect imperfections all the time, and love it just the same.
Temple area - While they are doing good thing around C. B Moore they have alot of work to do an North Philly extends far beyond Temple's border...Let see if they can actually redevelop the area between the campus and Temple emergency, I would like to see that.

I never Listed East Falls, Roxborough, Fishtown, Pennsport, Passyunk as ghetto....West Philly seems to be stagnant once passed 46th street....

Again not to say good things cannot happen, but Philly needs leadership that care more about the whole city rather than Downtown. Nutter and I'm sorry Street too have both shown time and time again where their priorities lie.

Hey look I'm sorry if I dont see everything in Roses when it comes to Philly, but you know I'm not lying about Center City vs the rest of the city. Sure you guys can ignore it and try to make it about Pittsburgh vs Philly, which I never brought Pittsburgh up, the OP said Philly and I think Philly does have something in common with these other cities and I outline how, are you saying that I'm lying about the area's that I've listed?

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-02-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or