U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,321,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I can't deny that Philly has some bad areas. I think most people who know the city will concede that the majority of North Philly, significant portions of West Philly, most of Southwest, and the Pointbreeze area of South Philly are rough areas. Germantown has bad areas, and is probably the worst area in the Northwest section of the city (the Northwest on a whole is decent). But I can't get with the stereotype that everything good about Philly is in "Center City" while the rest of the city is a big "Ghetto." That's an exaggeration and too simplistic.

Your list of bad sections & neighborhoods can be shortened. You already mentioned North Philly (North Central Phila). Nicetown & Hunting Park are both considered parts of "North Philly," so mentioning them separately is redundant. Overbrook and Mantua (we call Mantua "the bottom") are both parts of West Philly, so again--redundant. Kensington always had issues--it just changed from a poor/working-class white area to an increasingly Puerto Rican area when the PRs began to move in from the eastern part of North Philly. I'm not as familiar with the other parts of lower Northeast Philly that you mentioned.

As far as West Philly, I admit that Overbrook (the "hill top") has gone down compared to how it once was, but Mantua has turned the corner and is in the best state that it's been in for decades. Mantua was one of the worst neighborhoods in Philly since the 1960s. Gang problems in the '70s, a "Shower Posse" stronghold in the mid-'80s, and violent for most of the 90s. Now it's it's comparatively calm, clean, and attracting student residents from Drexel. I was impressed when I happened to drive through that area recently.

As far as West Oak Lane--that section shouldn't be on your list at all; it's nothing like the worst parts of NP or WP. It has problems, but West Oak Lane has NEVER been a "Ghetto." It might have some ignorant young nuts who "want to be" ghetto or want to act ghetto, but it has NEVER been a "ghetto." West Oak Lane is a Black, solidly working class/middle-class neighborhood. I consider a ghetto to be a place with vacant homes, abandoned buildings, vacant lots, and where a significant portion of the residents are in poverty or members of the struggling working-class (the working poor) or the underclass. West Oak Lane doesn't fit that description. There are thriving businesses up & down Ogontz Ave. That's one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city.

I'll try to discuss the nature of the city's crime issues when I have time. The violent crime rate needs to go down, but it's nowhere near as bad as it once was (in late 80s thru the 90s). Homicides spiked in 2006-2007, but have gone down a significant percentage since then. Philly now, also has one of the highest "clearance" rates on its homicides, significantly higher than many other cities. I'm not saying that to minimize the problem that DOES exist, but the city is NOT a "warzone."

People are always comparing Philly to NY, or Baltimore to DC. At their worst (in my recent lifetime) NY's crime & violence was worse than Philly's and DC was a more violent city than Baltimore. All four of the cities' homicide rates have gone down significantly over the past two decades. NY's and DC's drops have been more dramatic, but those two cities (Wall Street/The Federal Government) had better economic means to address their issues (whether by law-enforcement and/or hiring more cops, funding social programs, creating jobs, etc.)

Like I said to Kidphilly -WOL was the only neighborhood that had solid black leadership to say they wasn't going to take the Violence anymore....but WOL did have a bit of Violent spree here of recently...I was living in Cheltenham WOL was on the 11pm and 5am news every single day around something violent, now this was mostly away from the Ogontz Business District, but still...Come on it was bad....

I want to see Philly's neighborhood get better as a Black female, I hate that most of Philly's black neighborhoods outside of Mt Airy (and trust me that going down hill too) are of Violent and Provern stricken natures....and seeing as the last two mayors are black you think there would be better leadership than this....Hell Street cared more about getting an Iphone than stopping the shooting sprees that caused sometime innocent children to get killed.

The City needs some better leadership seriously, I will NOT back down from this...Someone who care more about Philly than just Manhattanizing Center City. Its a disgrace and its NOT fair....this is why most Blacks that I talk too are trying to get out of Philly in the worse way they see how unfair it is, these neighborhoods will never be solvant and prosper in their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like I said to Kidphilly -WOL was the only neighborhood that had solid black leadership to say they wasn't going to take the Violence anymore....but WOL did have a bit of Violent spree here of recently...I was living in Cheltenham WOL was on the 11pm and 5am news every single day around something violent, now this was mostly away from the Ogontz Business District, but still...Come on it was bad....

I want to see Philly's neighborhood get better as a Black female, I hate that most of Philly's black neighborhoods outside of Mt Airy (and trust me that going down hill too) are of Violent and Provern stricken natures....and seeing as the last two mayors are black you think there would be better leadership than this....Hell Street cared more about getting an Iphone than stopping the shooting sprees that caused sometime innocent children to get killed.

The City needs some better leadership seriously, I will NOT back down from this...Someone who care more about Philly than just Manhattanizing Center City. Its a disgrace and its NOT fair....this is why most Blacks that I talk too are trying to get out of Philly in the worse way they see how unfair it is, these neighborhoods will never be solvant and prosper in their eyes.
Mount Airy is full of old people, so its nice right now, but when they die off during the next 20 or so years Enon's gonna fall apart and the north Philly ugliness will continue to spread.

I agree with the focus on CC, because putting money into bad neighborhoods is a waste. CC just recently became a major tourist draw, and Philly has reaped the benefits of that.

If the bums don't wanna take care of thier neighborhoods than so be it.
Let them run their destructive course for some years until the block becomes desolate due to death and incarceration, the properties become abandoned, very cheap, and ripe for gentrification that ensures the cost of living goes up enough to keep the undesirables out and price out the remaining. Its the only logical way forward for the city, because too many of its residents are drop-outs who can barely read or write, and ultimatley grow up to become an unproductive liabilty, a waste of tax dollars.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 PM

164 posts, read 297,762 times
Quote:

I don't disagree with much of what you're saying. I agree that more focus should go to strengthening the neighborhoods. I definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm making excuses for the ignorance that goes on. It's just that when people who don't really know Philly are led to believe that "everywhere outside of Center City is a hopeless warzone"--I can't get with that. There are too many good people, hardworking people, block captains, community activists, artists, entrepreneurs, etc., who are doing the best they can. Not just in Mt. Airy or West Oak Lane, but throughout the city--including Mantua that you mentioned. I remember Mantua has had one of the most active, grassroots anti-drug & anti-crime organizations in the city. They were active even when that neighborhood was at it worst.

But ultimately, there's only so much the Mayor or any politician or community activists can do. All the mayor can do is make sure there is adequate & professional law enforcement in the city to protect ALL the citizens; make sure there are adequate educational opportunities in the city's school system; and do everything possible to encourage the growth of new economic opportunities in the city for the citizens to take advantage. Activists & community leaders can do their best to improve the situation in their neighborhoods. But politicians and community leaders can't raise people's children, or teach them basic values like discipline, self-respect, self-love, foresight, the importance of education, etc. That's the parents' job.

There are certainly economic & structural shifts that have hurt those living in urban centers. But that doesn't excuse most of the Bull Sh*t going on in so many urban communities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, etc. To what degree are people complicit in their own situations? I'm gonna get right to it.

Over the past several decades, too many people have been having children before they were mentally, emotionally, or spiritually mature enough to be anyones "parent." PERIOD. I saw it everyday at my previous employment in Baltimore city. Parents just as immature & mentally f*cked up (if not more) as their youth. So we have multitudes who have grown up with no structure, no discipline, no positive value system, no cultural foundation, no knowledge of self, and no strong family history or legacy. They are completely "rootless"--no foundation. And they are wreaking havoc on the community as a whole.

So those who can begin to flee to the suburbs to escape.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,763,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ok so since I've been on this forum people tend to LOVE and get some type of enjoyment from beating down cities who happened to be going through hard times. Being from Detroit I know how it is to get so irritated and frustrated with people ONLY pointing out the bad. I'm tired of the negative threads made by people who more than likely have never been to the cities listed that I decided to make a positive thread. So if you're from Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, NO, Philly, Oakland or any other city that happens to get bashed more than uplifted please list, name popular events, post pictures and/or videos of the positive things going on in your city. This thread is really not for the idiots who will come in here to say "positive, please there is no positive side to (insert city here)" or people who have never set foot in these cities to know so please do not comment if you have nothing good to say.

I'll start off by saying from my experience the thing people who are not from "ghetto cities" don't understand is the best way to really learn about the city and its people is to experience the culture first hand. Too many people are too busy running away or avoiding these cities that they really know why the city is the way it is or how the people are. You can meet some of the best people in some of the so called worst cities if people would stop being so closed minded.

PS. will post pics later
good thread!

they're all cities with rich culture

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM

389 posts, read 968,196 times
Oh look, Blackbeauty and her Debbie Downerism trying to ruin a positive thread. Shocker.

Anyway, the topic idea was good, so I'll post something positive about Philly. The Flugtag is coming to Philly this Saturday! The event starts at 1pm and it's free! Philadelphia | Red Bull Flugtag USA (http://www.redbullflugtagusa.com/Philadelphia2010 - broken link) And actually it's on the Camden waterfront which is a positive for Camden, so there ya go. Plus, it looks pretty fun.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,321,806 times
Yes lets all sit here cheerlead....Philadelphia is a wonderful town with no problems where all minorities excel and live rich free lives and streets are paved in gold...and All New Comers will be impressed that Philly is just worldy and sophisticated....Nope Philadelphia is one of the safest cities in America, the government and political leaders are the most efficient. HOW COULD ANYONE NOT LOVE PHILLY

Is that better Torresdale, upbeat enough.....but would also be lying thru my teeth....

I however tend to like to tell the truth every now and again....Gotta love the Philly homers you guys deny the truth better than any other homers on City-Data...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,892,960 times
Here's the real reason why Philly shouldn't have been posted in this thread... it hijacked the thread.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,309,386 times
Blackbeauty in every thread about Philly, you come in and say over and over again, its problems and how much of a warzone it is outside of center city. Why do you feel the need to rehash it in EVERY thread? You don't see me or any Philly forumer coming in Pittsburgh threads talking about its struggles. You do not live in Philly nor do you see the evryday occurences that are happening in the city. Stay focused on Pittsburgh....

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,763,423 times
yeah, but philly taking over every discussion is freakin annoying

this city aint atlanta! get over it

Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 PM

126 posts, read 261,410 times
Quote:
Yes lets all sit here cheerlead....Philadelphia is a wonderful town with no problems where all minorities excel and live rich free lives and streets are paved in gold...and All New Comers will be impressed that Philly is just worldy and sophisticated....Nope Philadelphia is one of the safest cities in America, the government and political leaders are the most efficient. HOW COULD ANYONE NOT LOVE PHILLY

Is that better Torresdale, upbeat enough.....but would also be lying thru my teeth....

I however tend to like to tell the truth every now and again....Gotta love the Philly homers you guys deny the truth better than any other homers on City-Data...
I dont think you understand this thread. I don't get whats so complicated about it.

No one ever said Philly's perfect. No city's perfect. no one said philly doesnt have problems, but this is a POSITIVE thread. What Torresdale, and a few other people were trying to say is, this thread was made to say positive things about cities that get bashed a lot. You are doing the opposite.

You dont have to act like these cities are perfect, your just supposed to say something positive. ITS NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND

or maybe you do understand, and have nothing better to do than keep hating on philly, like you do on every thread. What do you accomplish out of that? this isnt philly vs. pittsburgh, you dont have to put philly down to make pittsburgh look better, like you usually do. I don't see the point in you doing this on this thread.

Detroitlove, good thread idea by the way. Just wish we could keep haters off this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or