U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,472,194 times

Advertisements

This thread had a lot of potential. But this back-and-forth Philly nonsense is really off-putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 AM

970 posts, read 2,541,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This thread had a lot of potential. But this back-and-forth Philly nonsense is really off-putting.
I agree. Almost every major city has good and bad areas.
With that said, I'm here to voice my opinion about my hometown, Detroit.
I grew up in Detroit, and lived there for 32 years, before moving to the suburbs in 1990 (Sterling Heights, for any fellow Michiganders out there). After that, I moved to Macomb Township, even further from Detroit city limits. I distanced myself from the city, because I thought it would be safer. However, I faced a 45-minute one way commute to my job in Downtown Detroit. So, I took the plunge and bought a home in Detroit's Marina District. I'm moving back to Detroit. I took a tour of my neighborhood, and I'm glad to say, I have some of the best future neighbors someone could ask for. I was driving around for a bit, and a woman actually came out of her house to ask if I was lost or needed help. That would never happen in the suburbs. So, basically, while Detroit may look intimidating and creepy in most of its areas, Detroiters, from what I saw, are very friendly, humble, and down to earth people. There is a rebirth going on in the city. Suburbanites pouring back into the Downtown area, and some other neighborhoods near Downtown. When I get settled into my house, I'll be perfectly comfortable with riding my bike the mile into Downtown for work. I'm glad I was given the exciting opportunity to move back into the city.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM

6,920 posts, read 11,894,565 times
Here's another couple of pics of Oakland, only this time all of the pics are in East Oakland (east of Lake Meritt) and the pictures are in a 5 block radius, the radius point being the intersection of MacArthur Blvd and Beaumont Ave (580 Highway). I'm also the photographer for these shots.

http://a.imageshack.us/img188/4507/macarthurblvd6.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img443/4959/offofbeaumont.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img25/7291/offofbeaumont3.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img3/6310/14thave.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img132/8029/14thave34.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img297/3926/offof14thave.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img10/9712/14the26th5.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img29/5007/14thave31.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-04-2010, 04:01 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
And to think it all started with me replying to these simple statements and that Philadelphia does have relevance to be on this list with the other cities.I didn't say anything about there not being some good in these neighborhoods...just that Philadelphia's neighborhoods are no better than Baltimores or Detroit's...Yet the homers with there Elitist Attitudes want to paint it like "HOW COULD ANYONE EVERY THINK PHILADELPHIA HAS GHETTOS LIKE BALTIMORE"....Please GTFOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

I'm not sure why Philly is up there. It has its armpits like every city, but overall- it's still a thriving, historic, majorly toured city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There is no point of putting Philly in that list. Philly is tiers above those cities and is growing unlike those cities. Putting Philly in the list is stupid just like including Chicago, or Atlanta in the list, all three cities have their armpits, (not as many bad areas/arm pits, and overall depressing character, as the cities mentioned in the topic by the way) but those three cities have nice and vibrant areas and character that outshine their armpit sections of their city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
While i agree Philly is thriving in Center City.....its neighborhoods are among some of the worst...theres no sugarcoating it......North Philly Germantown Olney Frankford are some serious gettos they rival the worst of baltimore

Old 09-04-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Blackbeauty in every thread about Philly, you come in and say over and over again, its problems and how much of a warzone it is outside of center city. Why do you feel the need to rehash it in EVERY thread? You don't see me or any Philly forumer coming in Pittsburgh threads talking about its struggles. You do not live in Philly nor do you see the evryday occurences that are happening in the city. Stay focused on Pittsburgh....
Maybe because its the truth....and too see soo much lying about trying to make Philadelphia something that its not when I know Philadelphia.I know more than just some one nighter stay in Center City.....I'm sorry I see Philly for what it really is, and its not what you Cheerleader homers prop it up to be....

Again bringing Pittsburgh into this......You dont come into the Pittsburgh coversations is because you NO NOTHING ABOUT THE BURGH......While I may be homer for Pittsburgh....I will sit here anyday and admit its problems...Something we can't seem to get Philly homers to do....

When I see non-factual information being given for a place that I know thoroughly whether it be Bashing or Cheerleading I will voice my opinion...and I'm sorry some people can handle the truth...

I agree the thread had alot of potential, but one truth statement to show that Philadelphia is relevent to this subject and all the homers attack because it doesnt show Philly in the fairytail some try to portait

Sorry but I must call a Spade a Spade.....

Old 09-04-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
I dont think you understand this thread. I don't get whats so complicated about it.

No one ever said Philly's perfect. No city's perfect. no one said philly doesnt have problems, but this is a POSITIVE thread. What Torresdale, and a few other people were trying to say is, this thread was made to say positive things about cities that get bashed a lot. You are doing the opposite.

You dont have to act like these cities are perfect, your just supposed to say something positive. ITS NOT THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND

or maybe you do understand, and have nothing better to do than keep hating on philly, like you do on every thread. What do you accomplish out of that? this isnt philly vs. pittsburgh, you dont have to put philly down to make pittsburgh look better, like you usually do. I don't see the point in you doing this on this thread.

Detroitlove, good thread idea by the way. Just wish we could keep haters off this thread
Read my replies above is how it all started....Cheerleaders like yourself thinking Philadelphia didn't belong in list with Balitmore and Detroit because its "THRIVING" and So much more "VIBRANT" and that's a LIE!!!! Center City is Thriving and Wonderful but Philadelphia neighborhoods are no better than any other of these cities on the list..This has nothing to do with what's good or bad its about relevance....This is what pisses me off this Eliest Condecending attitudes of you guys that Philadelphiai is above anywhere that's not NYC or LA and if you thought you could get a way with it you'd try to put Philly over top NYC...But you know it would never fly here on City-Data

Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM

20,171 posts, read 21,767,856 times
Quote:
Read my replies above is how it all started....Cheerleaders like yourself thinking Philadelphia didn't belong in list with Balitmore and Detroit because its "THRIVING" and So much more "VIBRANT" and that's a LIE!!!! Center City is Thriving and Wonderful but Philadelphia neighborhoods are no better than any other of these cities on the list..This has nothing to do with what's good or bad its about relevance....This is what pisses me off this Eliest Condecending attitudes of you guys that Philadelphiai is above anywhere that's not NYC or LA and if you thought you could get a way with it you'd try to put Philly over top NYC...But you know it would never fly here on City-Data
Read the thread title. Read the original post. Stop derailing the whole thing. Find another topic that has Philadelphia and then go there. Again, read the topic title.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Tell you homer buddies to stop derailing.....they can't handle any crisism of Philly....SO STOP ATTACKING ME AND GET BACK ON TOPIC IF THAT WHAT YOU SO DESIRE...WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT THESE CITY'S GHETTOS.....GO!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM

970 posts, read 2,541,993 times
Quote:
Tell you homer buddies to stop derailing.....they can't handle any crisism of Philly....SO STOP ATTACKING ME AND GET BACK ON TOPIC IF THAT WHAT YOU SO DESIRE...WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT THESE CITY'S GHETTOS.....GO!
And now I sit back, get a snack, and watch the CityData Smackdowns begin.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 AM

21,958 posts, read 30,833,628 times
Quote:

Get over yourself - this thread is to discuss positives in cities that have had some rough times and the great things happening in these places.

Why not discuss the great things happening in your hometown, many of which are to be very proud of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or