Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times

Advertisements

Ok so since I've been on this forum people tend to LOVE and get some type of enjoyment from beating down cities who happened to be going through hard times. Being from Detroit I know how it is to get so irritated and frustrated with people ONLY pointing out the bad. I'm tired of the negative threads made by people who more than likely have never been to the cities listed that I decided to make a positive thread. So if you're from Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, NO, Philly, Oakland or any other city that happens to get bashed more than uplifted please list, name popular events, post pictures and/or videos of the positive things going on in your city. This thread is really not for the idiots who will come in here to say "positive, please there is no positive side to (insert city here)" or people who have never set foot in these cities to know so please do not comment if you have nothing good to say.

I'll start off by saying from my experience the thing people who are not from "ghetto cities" don't understand is the best way to really learn about the city and its people is to experience the culture first hand. Too many people are too busy running away or avoiding these cities that they really know why the city is the way it is or how the people are. You can meet some of the best people in some of the so called worst cities if people would stop being so closed minded.

PS. will post pics later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times
Oh also feel free to give your opinion on what you think would improve your city

Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Detroit used to be one of the most affluent cities in the nation with one of the strongest job markets in the nation. Motown was probably one of the most successful and most popular record company's of its time. The city still has a lot leafy neighborhoods with historic, well maintained mansions that highlights its once affluent past... Basically, the city has done a lot for itself.

I'm not sure why Philly is up there. It has its armpits like every city, but overall- it's still a thriving, historic, majorly toured city.

Baltimore has one of the best harbors in the nation, it has a a banging seafood scene, and the infrastructure of the city alone is one of my favorites (despite its vast rundown areas)- The British attacking Baltimore is what influenced the National Anthem- That alone is a pretty big deal, no?

New Orleans was once larger than NYC- It has one of the richest histories in the nation, and it's food is AMAZING. Nuff said.

My City:
Newark was a very important industrial colossus and still is to a degree. It also controlled a lot of the growing Northeast American financial growth.
International shipping has always been a major part of the NYC's economy, and Newark-Elizabeth Ports are what powers the vast majority of it.
The city has been making tremendous strides lately, it still has a long way to go, but Newark was the most dangerous city in 1996- Today it claims near the 30th spot. (not sure about the actual number)

~

What happened to these cities is a shame though. It's really hypocritical to belittle these cities when I can sit here and predict *hit holes of the future. You think the growing cities you know today aren't capable of turning into crap?
Detroit, New Orleans, and Newark were the fastest growing cities at one point-- People throw tomatoes next to a ticking bombs.

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-13-2010 at 01:03 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,479,785 times
Well here are 3 projects nearing completion to revitalize N.O.'s Hospital District and hopefully kick start diversification in the local economy. The city is hoping to become less dependent on energy and tourism and is betting heavy on a future in the medical/health field.

New Orleans BioInnovation Center
Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium
Project Legacy Renderings - Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System

Ground should be breaking on the new Medical Center of Louisiana (MCLNO) campus soon as well.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
What happened to these cities is a shame though. It's really hypocritical to belittle these cities when I can sit here and predict *hit holes of the future. You think the growing cities you know today aren't capable of turning into crap?
Detroit, New Orleans, and Newark were the fastest growing cities at one point-- People throw tomatoes next to a ticking bombs.
Good post! I thought it was funny that in another thread, I mentioned that southern cities would slow or stop growing at some point and someone else said that cities like Houston would NEVER stop growing. There are so many factors affecting city growth, development and well-being. A city could turn sour for any number of reasons.

The cities on the list in this thread have amazing infrastructure, history and location...amongst many other things (architecture, culture, food, water, etc..).

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good post! I thought it was funny that in another thread, I mentioned that southern cities would slow or stop growing at some point and someone else said that cities like Houston would NEVER stop growing. There are so many factors affecting city growth, development and well-being. A city could turn sour for any number of reasons.

The cities on the list in this thread have amazing infrastructure, history and location...amongst many other things (architecture, culture, food, water, etc..).
Texas cities are doing well and will continue to grow for years to come, but I've never been to say anymore.

Florida for example experienced tremendous growth to later experience through the roof foreclosure rates and housing prices plummeted. Miami/Fort Myers areas were struck hardest- Fortunately, this is now creating tremendous job growth. Don't get me wrong, it's the next state I know best outside of the tri-state area, and I love what the state has to offer. It's just that rapid growth shouldn't always be considered a good thing.

North Carolina is having trouble creation a big enough job market to sustain the rapid growth it's experiencing. It's nothing dramatic, but these are the kinds of things we should be careful of. My state has even lower job growth rates, but since the state is so small and dense with NYC/Philly sandwiching the state, it isn't as big of a worry. Growth in NJ is slowly coming to an end.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ok so since I've been on this forum people tend to LOVE and get some type of enjoyment from beating down cities who happened to be going through hard times. Being from Detroit I know how it is to get so irritated and frustrated with people ONLY pointing out the bad. I'm tired of the negative threads made by people who more than likely have never been to the cities listed that I decided to make a positive thread. So if you're from Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, NO, Philly, Oakland or any other city that happens to get bashed more than uplifted please list, name popular events, post pictures and/or videos of the positive things going on in your city. This thread is really not for the idiots who will come in here to say "positive, please there is no positive side to (insert city here)" or people who have never set foot in these cities to know so please do not comment if you have nothing good to say.

I'll start off by saying from my experience the thing people who are not from "ghetto cities" don't understand is the best way to really learn about the city and its people is to experience the culture first hand. Too many people are too busy running away or avoiding these cities that they really know why the city is the way it is or how the people are. You can meet some of the best people in some of the so called worst cities if people would stop being so closed minded.

PS. will post pics later
There is no point of putting Philly in that list. Philly is tiers above those cities and is growing unlike those cities. Putting Philly in the list is stupid just like including Chicago, or Atlanta in the list, all three cities have their armpits, (not as many bad areas/arm pits, and overall depressing character, as the cities mentioned in the topic by the way) but those three cities have nice and vibrant areas and character that outshine their armpit sections of their city.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
While i agree Philly is thriving in Center City.....its neighborhoods are among some of the worst...theres no sugarcoating it......North Philly Germantown Olney Frankford are some serious gettos they rival the worst of baltimore

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
While i agree Philly is thriving in Center City.....its neighborhoods are among some of the worst...theres no sugarcoating it......North Philly Germantown Olney Frankford are some serious gettos they rival the worst of baltimore
BS, you have a point with the majority of north Philly,you would've had a point of including small parts of south philly and much of west and southwest Philly, but your just exaggerating with Germantown, Olney, and Frankford, because there not that bad (the worst of baltimore bad or the rough areas of the cities mentioned in the topic), I'm not saying those neighborhoods are nice and really safe either, they are just not as bad as you try to make them seem.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Texaplex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City