Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for my criteria listed in the post?
Austin 33 54.10%
Tampa 13 21.31%
Tucson 14 22.95%
Other - Please let me know in the forum! 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times

Advertisements

1. Tucson
2. Austin
3. Tampa

I prefer Tucson over just about any city in the country with the exception of Seattle, Denver, & San Diego. Those are my top 4.

I already live in Austin (during the school year) its a great city, and its got a great job market, and is very "down to Earth" and has a lot going for it. The only minus side is the heat, and public transportation.

Tampa, its pretty sweet, and definitely if you want to live on the coast then its your place, it also unlike the other two cities has professional sports, and has a nice location to other cities in its state. Tucson does to Phoenix, Austin does to San Antonio, Tampa does to Orlando, Jacksonville, & Miami.

Houston, Fort Worth, & Dallas are a pretty long drive from Austin, about 3 hours or so, so they might count or might not, depends on how you perceive close, to me thats close but to others thats far.

But in all actuality though, I would take Tucson of the 3 choices. I am fond of the other choices too, its just that they were paired up against one of my top 4 favorite cities in the country.

For me, easy choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,496 times
I investigated Austin as a place to visit or possibly move, 3 yrs ago. I decided I didnt wanna after awhile. I was interested in Austin to begin with because of their music scene and it didnt look bad at all from what I heard, but then as I started taking into consideration climates, then I was like ok, not worth it.
Tampa imo is better than Austin all the way around.. Austin to me has the upper hand on music, but you would be highly amazed. Tampa has a great music scene for a city its size and is a definite good alternative to Austin and even has local authentic blues too. Its just not on every corner like in Austin, but their NPR station gets a lot of hit ups for it and mentions to certain blues clubs + you arent far from the ocean.
Tampa is charming on the whole and I do think Tampa weather beats Austin based on everything I investigated.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, it does.
I thought there was no ski resorts in Texas so no it doesn't. Would probably have to drive 5+ hours to a ski resort in New Mexico. And hiking i mean maybe hiking a trail in a canyon or mountain peak. I don't think Austin has that either, except in the southwest part of the state.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
I thought there was no ski resorts in Texas so no it doesn't. Would probably have to drive 5+ hours to a ski resort in New Mexico. And hiking i mean maybe hiking a trail in a canyon or mountain peak. I don't think Austin has that either, except in the southwest part of the state.
Sorry, thought you were referring to water skiing; Lake Austin and Lake Travis (on the outskirts of Austin) have plenty of that.
Austin is on the eastern boundary of the Texas Hill Country, so there are hiking and biking opportunities aplenty. Gorgeous country.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Austin or Tucson-Tampa is okay but St. Pete-what a toilet....

Old 08-19-2010, 03:39 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Austin or Tucson-Tampa is okay but St. Pete-what a toilet....
St Pete has some lovely areas. The downtown area has undergone an amazing transformation in the last couple of decades.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 19,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I am thinking Tucson would be the best spot to explore the west coast...would love to go to San Fran/Oregon Coast/Wine Country/Yosemite/etc. But Austin would have more access to cultural events in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio
For weekend trips, I could see you hitting up San Diego/OrangeCounty/LA. Driving would be around 6-8hrs. Yosemite, San Fran, Oregon...you would need to take a week off unless you flew to those locations.

Also, Austin would be the closest culturally and weather wise(cold) to the Bay Area.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 AM

34 posts, read 102,760 times
YES, Clean_Polo I realize FL depends on tourism...They wern't asking to take a tour were they? I believe they were making a life choice on where to reside. I would hope if I were asking for advice, on where to live someone would be nice enough to tell the truth. We are above the national average in crime...Look it up. Tampa is not a place I would ever reccommmend someone to live. I strickly live here for work, (which relies on tourism) and can't wait to get out. The crosstown expressway???? That's a studid comment!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2699 View Post
YES, Clean_Polo I realize FL depends on tourism...They wern't asking to take a tour were they? I believe they were making a life choice on where to reside. I would hope if I were asking for advice, on where to live someone would be nice enough to tell the truth. We are above the national average in crime...Look it up. Tampa is not a place I would ever reccommmend someone to live. I strickly live here for work, (which relies on tourism) and can't wait to get out. The crosstown expressway???? That's a studid comment!
I live in Tampa and I would recommend it as a great city to live in. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others wont. Sure crime is over the national average, like every other city Tampa's size. Have you noticed how much crime in Tampa has dropped 10 years? I drive through Tampa all the time, and I don't drive past Strip Clubs on a daily, or even weekly basis. I don't see people buying or selling drugs either. This area has a lot of positives, and if you can't appreciate them because all you notice is the negatives, then I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by TB Fla; 10-18-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Tampa.

Tucson is way too small and remote, (but if you don't like bigger cities and do like outdoors, then maybe that's a good city for you).

Austin is just ok to me. I just find the city to be extremely overrated and I'm not fond of living in a giant college town. Nice town, especially for texas, but it's just missing something. Maybe it's not quite big enough.

Tampa is my choice here. If only they had a nice ballpark for the Rays to play in. As a MLB fan, I really prefer any city I live in to have MLB. Tampa does (in StPete), but it's just not the same as other towns. But they do have NFL and NHL and both play in great facilities. Tampa has come a long with their downtown and waterfront areas too and there are some emerging urban districts too. Plus you are that much closer to Miami, even Orlando, which has a surprisingly active downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City