Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I think Chicagoans probably have a narrower definition of "gyro" because they lack the exposure to shawarma that we have in the NY/NJ area, and because most of the Greek gyro there is the pre-made cone of gyro meat from the same company or couple of companies (probably Kronos).
Believe me, we don't. There may be colloquial differences in what gets called what, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of places around here to get shawarma in numerous forms. Hell, I just had some last night at 2 in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
The latter part of this thread has made me decide to get chicken shawarma tonight for dinner. From Ibby's, in Jersey City. Anybody been? Fantastic place, consistantly voted one of the best in the entire NY metro.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
New York..... All day... EVERYDAY

Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The latter part of this thread has made me decide to get chicken shawarma tonight for dinner. From Ibby's, in Jersey City. Anybody been? Fantastic place, consistantly voted one of the best in the entire NY metro.
That's on Grove St right? I pass that place everyday on my way to work from the PATH station- never tried it though.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That's on Grove St right? I pass that place everyday on my way to work from the PATH station- never tried it though.
Yeah, get the Ibby's Combo on a platter. Use the homemade hot sauce. Thank me later. How have you not tried it? It's pretty famous.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yeah, get the Ibby's Combo on a platter. Use the homemade hot sauce. Thank me later. How have you not tried it? It's pretty famous.
When I get the chance to check it out, I'll let you know

Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

I think Chicagoans probably have a narrower definition of "gyro" because they lack the exposure to shawarma that we have in the NY/NJ area, and because most of the Greek gyro there is the pre-made cone of gyro meat from the same company or couple of companies (probably Kronos).
nah there are shawarma, gyro and doner places, all slightly different in the spices, esp if they aren't the default "kronos" meat which is typical of places that have the whole diner style menu of gyros/burgers/chicken sandwiches/mozarella sticks etc...It's a bit different than doner I've had in Germany though, they are all about it.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nah there are shawarma, gyro and doner places, all slightly different in the spices, esp if they aren't the default "kronos" meat which is typical of places that have the whole diner style menu of gyros/burgers/chicken sandwiches/mozarella sticks etc...It's a bit different than doner I've had in Germany though, they are all about it.
Fair enough...it's just that this conflicts with what the other Chicagoan said, as he made clear that "gyro" is a very specific blend of spices and meat that can never be confused with shawarma. I originally believed as you just said.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Chicago "pizza" bares no resemblance to authentic pizza. Its a midwest style food, to pad the ribs of hearty folks in heavy winters. Its appeal is typically restricted to a few enclaves of midwest expats. Its like a casserole in a dish.
Deep dish is pretty much a variation of a calzone (without being folded over and crimped). So yeah it does bare some resemblance to what you'd find at a pizza place in Italy.*

*About as much resemblance as American thin crust bares to authentic Neopolitan pizza, at least.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Deep dish is pretty much a variation of a calzone (without being folded over and crimped). So yeah it does bare some resemblance to what you'd find at a pizza place in Italy.*

*About as much resemblance as American thin crust bares to authentic Neopolitan pizza, at least.

Calzone's are not that common in Italy, its more of an Italian-American thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City