Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tri State - DMV - Bay Area
Tri State 35 42.17%
DMV 23 27.71%
Bay Area 25 30.12%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Wow, why does this thread only have 8 replies?
Because these 3 have been compared ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 AM

929 posts, read 1,890,046 times
Definitely among my 3 favorite metro areas...live in the DMV and have family in both Tri-State and Bay Areas...I definitely think that the Tri-State and Bay Areas have more to offer than the DMV. Regardless, there's still a lot to like about the DMV.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,849 times
I agree, Tri-State and Bay area have more to offer than DMV.

(Mistakenly voted for DMV)

Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,937,095 times
From my strictly New Jersey perspective (a wildly provincial one at that), Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union & the lower half of Passaic are all that count culturally.
This is the real North Jersey.
And I'm not even referring to cultural connectivity to NYC. Just flat out Northern New Jersey.
I mean is Hunterdon Co & the like really North Jersey? Come on.......................

Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,257,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Why did this dead thread need resurrecting?
Probably an alti trying to revive on of his own threads. Just a thought.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,846,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
From my strictly New Jersey perspective (a wildly provincial one at that), Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union & the lower half of Passaic are all that count culturally.
This is the real North Jersey.
And I'm not even referring to cultural connectivity to NYC. Just flat out Northern New Jersey.
I mean is Hunterdon Co & the like really North Jersey? Come on.......................
Yeah those are the only counties in NJ that definitely have a connection to NYC. Once you start getting into Central New Jersey there is no clear influence but Mercer County and everything south is clearly influenced by Philly.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM

I would say Monmouth County has a definite NYC connection; it definitely doesn't really have a Philadelphia connection. It may just be its own "Jersey Shore" animal.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
That map of the DC area includes WAY too much. For one, Cecil is apart of the Philly Metro. Nothing on the eastern shore belongs in the DC metro. Washington County is not apart of DC. Half of those Maryland Counties are apart of the Baltimore Metro.

Better map
Since the other maps are showing CSA's this would be the best DMV area map... And for what reasons does the Bay Area out do the DMV again?

Attached Thumbnails
Tri-State Area -VS- DMV Area -VS- The Bay Area-washington-baltimore-northern_virginia_csa-_2005.jpg  

Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam
That map of the DC area includes WAY too much. For one, Cecil is apart of the Philly Metro. Nothing on the eastern shore belongs in the DC metro. Washington County is not apart of DC. Half of those Maryland Counties are apart of the Baltimore Metro.

Better map

Since the other maps are showing CSA's this would be the best DMV area map... And for what reasons does the Bay Area out do the DMV again?

The Bay Area has all the urbanity of Washington/Baltimore and all of the cultural attractions with much more opportunity for and proximity to outdoor recreation and national parks.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:41 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,858,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
but Mercer County and everything south is clearly influenced by Philly.
I don't know about that - all my friends from Princeton love the NJ/NY teams and are referencing Manhattan when they talk about "the city."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City