U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 AM

27,619 posts, read 24,814,812 times

Advertisements

This is what I mean by "underworld." It's hard to believe that Camden is even worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5a3...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,266,499 times
Hey B,

Chicago's Finest did a number on you. LLS

Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,376,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't name this thread "Which City Has the Most Powerful Mafia?" I asked which city feels seedier, shadier, and had a more underworld type feel to it.
Well, Chicago is historically a more powerful Mob town, and I think that is pretty obvious.

If you are asking what city has more rough customers walking around then it may be Philly because it's more blue collar overall. However, it really depends. Chicago is more polarized, with a lot of yuppies in certain parts of the city and other parts of the city being really rough. These areas seldom overlap. Philly seems to have more of working class feel spread throughout the city, but I would not say that Philly's roughest parts are any worse than Chicago's.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM

27,619 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
If you are asking what city has more rough customers walking around then it may be Philly because it's more blue collar overall. However, it really depends. Chicago is more polarized, with a lot of yuppies in certain parts of the city and other parts of the city being really rough. These areas seldom overlap. Philly seems to have more of working class feel spread throughout the city, but I would not say that Philly's roughest parts are any worse than Chicago's.
It's not "roughness" per se, but rather "lawlessness." Most of Philadelphia, unfortunately, has a feel of lawlessness to it. You see cars parked on sidewalks, in front of fire hydrants, in the median, and even parked in the wrong direction on one-way streets. And like I said in my initial post, politicians distribute "street money" to "volunteers" and no one seems to have a problem with this. It's par for the course in Philly. Then you throw in our virtually non-existent gun control laws, which permit a range of assorted characters to carry pistols around, and you get a place that honestly feels very wild at times. Among the general population, you sometimes get the sense that everyone makes a little side money in ways that are not perfectly legitimate. This may not mean that they're dealing drugs, but it does seem that most people have some sort of "hustle" in addition to their regular job...if they even have a regular job. For example, does anyone have any idea what really goes on in that Muslim "T-Shirt" store on Germantown Avenue across from Max's?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-23-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,898,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wow. Are you Chicago Southsider's sockpuppet or alter ego? For some reason, a few Chicago people in this forum have been taking repeated shots at Philadelphians for no reason at all.
A sockpuppet? Lol...that was pretty low. Anyway, any Philly forumers on the receiving end of one of my posts most certainly brought it upon themselves.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,136,695 times
I used to work at the Navy shipyard in South Philly and whenever we went out to eat in the vicinity of Pat's/Geno's or some of the truck stops I would just get this general vibe of "there are definitely illegal things going on around here"

Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM

70 posts, read 71,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well, Chicago is historically a more powerful Mob town, and I think that is pretty obvious.

What does being a blue collar city have to do with anything? Just asking.... And philly is nOt much blue collar. There's a lot of office jobs in Philly. So People in philly are rough because lazy white collar workers can't make a hanger to hang there nice suits up? Phillis not even that blue collar as loser media says.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,033 times
You guys sound retarded arguing over which place sux worse.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,130,284 times
South Philly is rough, but I don't think it's as rough as Southside Chicago. My parents come from both places, so I have gotten the feel of both. I personally would not want to be lost in the wrong part of either city, but the bad parts of Philly aren't as "extensive" or "large" as the bad parts of Chicago. The hoods of Chicago are so expansive that they could encompass whole entire metro areas. I don't know which city is more white or blue collar, but Philly does seem a little more blue collar in the "Irish/Italian/docks" kind of way. Still, I wouldn't mind being lost in Bryn Mawr or pretty much anywhere along the Mainline (where my family is from ) or Lake Forest/North Shore area (where my mom's family is from hehe).

I don't know why I'm wasting time on this (perhaps because I'm bored because it's Christmas), but if we are talking about mobster underworld, then Chicago takes the cake. Only Chicago can compete with New York's organized crime history (well LA in modern times with all of the black and Hispanic gangs). It seems like everywhere you walk around the Loop there is some event related to La Costra Nostra or other gangs that occurred there. It's actually quite interesting. Chicago has movies and books detailing gang life in the city in the 1970s and before whereas Philly might have a chapter (always sat in New York and New Jersey's crime shadow).

Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM

787 posts, read 1,423,758 times
^^ If you knew anything about Philly, you'd know that South Philly certainly ain't the roughest part. I wouldn't say either city is necessarily rougher, but I do agree with BajanYankee's point on the "lawless" feel of many sections of Philadelphia. Some places feel unwatched, uncared for, and unmonitored by official authorities in a way Chicago doesn't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City