U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:50 AM

11,830 posts, read 9,838,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Philly is typically more violent than Chicago and gangster rap originated in Philly with Schoolly D's PSK. Chicago street gangs have little to no structure these days. LA is more structured with OG's still. I highly doubt Chicago gang members are travelling all the way to Philly to "oversee" operations. Lol. Too many Gangland episodes for you. For the most part Philly has homegrown drug gangs.

Yes--the modern "gangs" most people refer to are a non-factor in Philly. In Philly it is all about where you are from--there are sets and cliques based on street corners and neighborhoods--nobody cares about colors or what you are wearing LOL. And then there is organized crime among different groups---Italian Mafia, Chinese, Russian Mob, Muslim, Vietnamese and Cambodian, Colombian and Dominican. Back in the day Jewish and Irish.

I agree that Philly can certainly have a "lawless" feel to it that I didn't pick up on in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:06 PM

220 posts, read 90,773 times
Maybe I'm really sheltered, but are any of these groups really as powerful as so many make them out to be?

They reached their apex in the early and mid 20th century, but the FBI absolutely crushed many of these groups in the late 20th century. It's not like we're living in the days of Whitey Bulger, where one kingpin can point at a city and claim it was his. Most corruption nowadays seems much more like the lone greedy individual trying to squirrel away money for themselves. If anything, the real forces paying off politicians are various corporations and lobbying groups.

This Sopranos scene illustrates the times to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz0uEzRSWXw

"How would corporate feel, for the sake of argument, if a brick went through your window?"
"They have, like 10,000 stores in North America. I don't think they feel anything."

Old Today, 12:11 PM

13,425 posts, read 7,315,267 times
Philadelphia was always overshadowed by New York where the Italian Mob was concerned. They fought over Atlantic City, and the gambling, union, drugs, prostitution, etc, and lost when Angelo Bruno was assassinated in his car on Broad Street. Therefore, I'd say Chicago was more of a Mob town than Philly, but both have their sordid past, and to a degree present.

Frank Rizzo was no more a "boss" than any other Philly mayor. His strong personality maybe said otherwise, but I reality he had no more power than the other Democrat Machine mayors.

Old Today, 12:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,344,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Philadelphia was always overshadowed by New York where the Italian Mob was concerned. They fought over Atlantic City, and the gambling, union, drugs, prostitution, etc, and lost when Angelo Bruno was assassinated in his car on Broad Street. Therefore, I'd say Chicago was more of a Mob town than Philly, but both have their sordid past, and to a degree present.

Frank Rizzo was no more a "boss" than any other Philly mayor. His strong personality maybe said otherwise, but I reality he had no more power than the other Democrat Machine mayors.

When... Did the Crime Families of Philadelphia & New York go to war? Angelo Bruno died at the hands of them also? Really?? Care to elaborate? Cause that's news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City