Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Culture - Houston
Food - Houston
Nightlife - Houston
Downtown - Seattle
Distinct Neighborhoods - Seattle
Density - Seattle
Skyline - Seattle
Walkable - Seattle
Vibrancy - Seattle
Mmm......

Seattle

Houston

As much as I love Seattle's skyline, I'd give that nod to Houston.

Just take away the mountains....

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Mmm......

Seattle

Houston

As much as I love Seattle's skyline, I'd give that nod to Houston.

Just take away the mountains....
LOL JJG. I think you just disproved your point about which city has the better skyline with those pics. Seattle has one of the most distinctive, beautiful skylines in the US.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,757 times
I'd have to agree with previous posters that they both feel like 'big cities', but in different ways. I think Seattle's built environment has more in common with San Francisco, Boston, etc, whereas Houston is a bit closer to that of LA, Dallas, etc. A lot of that probably has to do with constraints on buildable land versus having more flat area to build on - that really shapes a city.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Those pictures made me like Seattle's skyline more. Houston is definitely bigger and of course it is going to have more "big city" feeling, but I think Seattle feels bigger than it is because it is more urban, so it gets my nod.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Seattle is more urban, but even with its downtown skyline bigger than Houston's downtown skyline, it doesn't make me feel like it is bigger.

Houston is very diverse. Houston has big industries here and way more major corporate precense and headquarters. Houston has more shopping. Houston has a bigger airport. Houston has a bigger port. Houston has a lot of freeway infrastructure. Houston has way more buildings, and the all the combined skylines of Houston is more vast than Seattle's postcard skyline. Houston has 5 proffesional sports teams. Houston has better and more cultural institutions and performing arts. Houston has better higher education institutions(?).

Seattle being more urban, walkable, and a better downtown doesn't overpower Houston's big city feel, in my opinion, although I do understand how Seattle posseses that bigger city feel with its skyline, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I so disagree with these assessments. Seattle has a ridiculous number of vibrant, walkable neighborhoods; arguably more per capita than any other city in the US.
A note, having virbrant, walkable neighborhoods doesn't make it a distinct neighborhood, NYC must have countless of these, yet they are not all distinct. There is other ways of being a distinct neighborhood, for example, character, architecture, the people, etc can make a neighborhood distinct. And a neighborhood doesn't have to be walkable and vibrant to be distinct. A gritty dilapadated neighborhood can be just as distinct as a vibrant walkable neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah I think so too. Although it is moe urban it does not have all the amenities and the economy that Houston has

Food - Houston
Nightlife - Houston
Downtown - Seattle
Distinct Neighborhoods -Houston
Density - Both are just right for me
Skyline - Most definitely Houston
Walkable - neither
Vibrancy - Neither

I would add weather. I just love the weather in Seattle. I love the seasons. Love watching the trees change color.
I so disagree with these assessments. Seattle has a ridiculous number of vibrant, walkable neighborhoods; arguably more per capita than any other city in the US.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
IMO the more urban a city is the "bigger" it feels. I think Seattle would feel like the bigger city.
so boston feels bigger than los angeles? really?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM

123 posts, read 157,524 times
Seattle for being urban I love downtown Seattle for it's shopping and vibrancy

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM

10 posts, read 24,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It has a lot of walkable neighborhoods, but more per capita than any other US city? Not even close. NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, etc. just to name a few have a lot more.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by developnsustain View Post
It has a lot of walkable neighborhoods, but more per capita than any other US city? Not even close. NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, etc. just to name a few have a lot more.
Yes, I said per capita. These are all much larger cities than Seattle.

Downtown?
Capitol Hill?
Queen Anne Hill?
Magnolia?
Ballard?
West Seattle?
Vashon Island?
Bellevue?
Madrona?
Madison Park?
Belltown?
Lake Union?
University?
Greenlake?

The list goes on and on. In no way does Houston compete on this level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City