U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: san francisco
2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Reputation: 737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You still have not explained to everyone how does GDP and hospitals make a city feel bigger and urban???... The thread says which city is more urban and feels bigger it would be nice to see people stick too the top of this thread. Houston Feels bigger because of the Sprawl the huge Highways and all the skyscrapers from the ground or streets it doesnt feel bigger than Seattle. Seattle feels bigger when your at street level.. So in all both cities feel bigger in some form or fashion....
exactly! that is why both cities are not even worth comparing. hello!

 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: san francisco
2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's not the point. We all know it is in the city. The point is that the area is suburban and it would be a suburb if it was in any other place in America.

That's because you're both looking to much into my comment and/or you don't understand what everyone else is talking about when it comes to urbanity. In America suburban areas, cars rule. Everything is centered around it. The Galleria is filled with wide avenues with big box stores, giant parking lots, narrow sidewalks, and all that contributes to the environment of American suburban life. And here's the difference between your point about Europe and the Galleria area even though Europe has nothing to do with how America built it's suburbs. Those very urban areas in Europe STILL do not revolve or center around the car. Suburban areas in this country like the Galleria, does.
My point was that calling it suburban in a way to discredit my opinion about how "big" the city feels does not work. The fact that the Galleria has a 901ft building outside of downtown in a "suburban" type area would make me think, "wow, this city is freakin huge!" It has nothing to do with urban and neither would I make an argument against it. Urban makes a city feel more crowded with people bringing all the hustle and bustle.... a sprawling city would make it feel epic but crowded with cars bringing all the hustle and bustle and most likely to get lost. Think of it as going to Mexico city and turning somewhere in your car and all of a sudden you're completely lost. Of course, it's hypothetical but that's how Houston feels.

As I've said earlier I've never been to Seattle so I don't know how it would make me feel but judging on San Francisco as being "urban" it does not give me that same epic feeling that Houston gave me.

That's basically what I'm saying, it's not that I disagree with you or anything.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: san francisco
2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This is all very subjective. The fact that you used the word "feel" in your discription makes it have to be subjective. Really though. Seattle may actually "feel" more urban and "big city like" when you only look at certain parts of seattle in comparison to certain parts of Houston but when you look at the big picture and actually compare All of Seattle to All of Houston you can't help but say the urbanized area of Houston is more urban and definitely bigger than the urbanized area of Seattle. When you look at it comprehensively there's really not any comparison.
ahhhh, the voice of reason can be very refreshing.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Reputation: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
My point was that calling it suburban in a way to discredit my opinion about how "big" the city feels does not work. The fact that the Galleria has a 901ft building outside of downtown in a "suburban" type area would make me think, "wow, this city is freakin huge!" It has nothing to do with urban and neither would I make an argument against it. Urban makes a city feel more crowded with people bringing all the hustle and bustle.... a sprawling city would make it feel epic but crowded with cars bringing all the hustle and bustle and most likely to get lost. Think of it as going to Mexico city and turning somewhere in your car and all of a sudden you're completely lost. Of course, it's hypothetical but that's how Houston feels.

As I've said earlier I've never been to Seattle so I don't know how it would make me feel but judging on San Francisco as being "urban" it does not give me that same epic feeling that Houston gave me.

That's basically what I'm saying, it's not that I disagree with you or anything.

The Williams tower was once the tallest building outside a central business district in the US(I don't know if this is still the case), so no it is not like any suburb. Spade is not himself lately, he is not thinnking clearly
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,432 posts, read 14,720,378 times
Reputation: 5024
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
My point was that calling it suburban in a way to discredit my opinion about how "big" the city feels does not work. The fact that the Galleria has a 901ft building outside of downtown in a "suburban" type area would make me think, "wow, this city is freakin huge!" It has nothing to do with urban and neither would I make an argument against it. Urban makes a city feel more crowded with people bringing all the hustle and bustle.... a sprawling city would make it feel epic but crowded with cars bringing all the hustle and bustle and most likely to get lost. Think of it as going to Mexico city and turning somewhere in your car and all of a sudden you're completely lost. Of course, it's hypothetical but that's how Houston feels.

As I've said earlier I've never been to Seattle so I don't know how it would make me feel but judging on San Francisco as being "urban" it does not give me that same epic feeling that Houston gave me.

That's basically what I'm saying, it's not that I disagree with you or anything.
OH well that's different. Nonetheless, Houston in general is suburban in nature and Uptown-Galleria epitomizes this. But no matter what, it is still part of the city of Houston. But even though you can't compare Seattle and Houston. Seattle to most people is still by far more urban than Houston.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,432 posts, read 14,720,378 times
Reputation: 5024
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Spade is not himself lately, he is not thinnking clearly
I would appreciate if you are going to say something about me, make sure you are responding to me. Thanks.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: san francisco
2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
OH well that's different. Nonetheless, Houston in general is suburban in nature and Uptown-Galleria epitomizes this. But no matter what, it is still part of the city of Houston. But even though you can't compare Seattle and Houston. Seattle to most people is still by far more urban than Houston.
And I have no contention with this. I'll visit Seattle someday... it's one of the first on my list. And then I'll leave a note hear on my experiences and what I felt.... big, overwhelming, fun or whatnot.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: san francisco
2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Williams tower was once the tallest building outside a central business district in the US(I don't know if this is still the case), so no it is not like any suburb.
well, this was one of my arguments to kidphilly suggesting why i didn't think it was anything like other suburban parks.... but whatever. i don't wanna risk discrediting any other city...
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Reputation: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
well, this was one of my arguments to kidphilly suggesting why i didn't think it was anything like other suburban parks.... but whatever. i don't wanna risk discrediting any other city...

Lol, there is no reasoning with him. He will go off on something else
 
Old 08-27-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Reputation: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would appreciate if you are going to say something about me, make sure you are responding to me. Thanks.

when I do have something to say to you, I will say it. Like I am doing now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top