Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
we didn't say it was urban. we said it was not suburban. Look back at the definition of suburban cause I seriously don't think you know what it is

That leaves exurban and rural, which is it?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And honestly I have nothing against houston, but to call it urban is mostly innacurate, it is a large metropolitan suburbanesque area
can we just say that houston is something else not classifiable?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
HTown I have been going to Houston since the mid 90s, have probably been there an accumulated 30-40 weeks of my life over that span, I have been to every neighborhood you describe multiple times. I visit a friend in the woodlands at least twice a year on top of that, I actually am pretty familiar with the city, ESPECIALLY the galleria. I have been nearly hit by a car crossing the street in the area, had a drink with Bill Walton in the Marriott at the Galleria, he was in to do one of the first Yao Ming games that time, I am dating myself, but YES I know the cities and the area being discussed very well. Why to me it feels just like many suburban areas I am also very familiar with.

Is midtown more similar to Tysons Corner or Downtown Boston, serious question, you tell me

And I am telling you that if it reminds you of the suburbs you are familiar with, then they are not suburban

Downtown boston is not the judge of not being suburban.

If you are not an apple doesn't mean you are an orange.

Again suburban areas are primary residential. THE GALLERIA AREA IS NOT PRIMARILY RESIDENTIAL, IE IT IS NOT SUBURBAN

NOT BEING BOSTON DOESNOT MEAN IT IS SUBURBAN

Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That leaves exurban and rural, which is it?

It is a business district with residential condos and townhomes.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
And honestly I have nothing against houston

so why must you put it down in every thread and can't say one good thing about it?

All you do is post very stupid and highly incendiary comments about Houston. Comments that are almost 100% wrong. Why are you always trying to put Houston down and spread silly lies about the place?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

200 posts, read 294,691 times
Quote:
HTown I have been going to Houston since the mid 90s, have probably been there an accumulated 30-40 weeks of my life over that span, I have been to every neighborhood you describe multiple times. I visit a friend in the woodlands at least twice a year on top of that, I actually am pretty familiar with the city, ESPECIALLY the galleria. I have been nearly hit by a car crossing the street in the area, had a drink with Bill Walton in the Marriott at the Galleria, he was in to do one of the first Yao Ming games that time, I am dating myself, but YES I know the cities and the area being discussed very well. Why to me it feels just like many suburban areas I am also very familiar with.

Is midtown more similar to Tysons Corner or Downtown Boston, serious question, you tell me
No offense, I think your problem is that you are looking at everything as black and white, in this case urban and suburban. The Galleria is definitely not urban when compared to a typical CBD because it is built around the car with some strip malls and parking lots dotted in the area. But it is certainly not a suburb when compared to my interpretation of it in that there is lots of business and commerce done there compared to say residential communities such as Katy or Kingwood. I just simply label the Galleria area as an edge city or satellite center. The same label goes for Tysons Corner, Bellevue, Century City, Buckhead, and so on imo.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
No offense, I think your problem is that you are looking at everything as black and white, in this case urban and suburban. The Galleria is definitely not urban when compared to a typical CBD because it is built around the car with some strip malls and parking lots dotted in the area. But it is certainly not a suburb when compared to my interpretation of it in that there is lots of business and commerce done there compared to say residential communities such as Katy or Kingwood. I just simply label the Galleria area as an edge city or satellite center. The same label goes for Tysons Corner, Bellevue, Century City, Buckhead, and so on imo.

you fit your title well. "Fair"

I don't know why he seems to think that if the area doesn't look like Downtown Boston then it is either suburban or rural?
But that is only for Houston.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
And I am telling you that if it reminds you of the suburbs you are familiar with, then they are not suburban

Downtown boston is not the judge of not being suburban.

If you are not an apple doesn't mean you are an orange.

Again suburban areas are primary residential. THE GALLERIA AREA IS NOT PRIMARILY RESIDENTIAL, IE IT IS NOT SUBURBAN

NOT BEING BOSTON DOESNOT MEAN IT IS SUBURBAN

Yes it does remind me of many suburbs I am familiar with. And there are resdiential areas just outside the Galleria area, exactly how suburbs and their core business/retail districts exist in most metros, again the vast boundaries of Houston contain much of what is called suburban in other cities, As usual you want it both ways, call the 600+ miles the city and say it is different from the areas the same distance from their respective cores. Why the boundaries of houston are mostly laughable in the context of comparing to any other cities/metros of Houstons size.

Galleria image 5085 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX‎ - Google Maps

Tysons Corner Image tysons corner, va - Google Maps

KOP Image King of Prussia, pa - Google Maps

Bethesda Image Bethesda, md - Google Maps

Metro Park Image metro park, - Google Maps

Rosslyn Rosslyn, va - Google Maps

Restin Google Maps

Sterling Google Maps

Old 08-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
you fit your title well. "Fair"

I don't know why he seems to think that if the area doesn't look like Downtown Boston then it is either suburban or rural?
But that is only for Houston.
No, I said there are urban areas of houston, to me the galleria is not one of them, I also do not call Tysons or Restin or KOP or Cherry Hill or Edison or Waltham urban either

Satalite centers may be appropriate but still believe it to look, feel and funtion as the suburbs, hence to me not urban

Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post

I agree, but these all function as the business/commerce/retail centers of suburban areas. i actually do agree, I said to me the area is not urban, the houston folks told me it was and different from all the places you named, i agree with you completely in that is is a satalite center and not a core urban area, which was proported earlier by many houston folk, not all but many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City