Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Seattle feels big from street level and Houston feels bigger driving thru it

Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think you make a pretty good point, a place can be urban without vibrancy, true in every city in America.

But I also think in the traditional sense a city should have that (vibrancy), especially at the core, that next level down in vibrancy feels very suburban to me and is so indistinguishable from everyplace else, which in many ways much of Houston (even in the city) feels like. So this leads to many people calling/associating Houston with being suburban, because it looks and feels like what many people associate as suburban, not in total but most of what is considered the city based on the borders. And I guess why I know personally I feel like I have trouble finding the urban part of houston, even areas with tall buildings that exist in many areas of the city, I still feel like I am in the burbs or a perimeter city, thus it feels that next level down in urbanity or suburban. And this is not everywhere, but it feels disjointed and lacks the cohesiveness that add to vibrancy. And again this is not to say there are no urban areas in Houston, they just seem so pocketed and that again to me feels suburban, that is similar to the suburban makeup that I am used to, pockets of urbanity sorrounded by suburbia just on a larger scale with taller buildings, this is the general vibe I get, and why I think urban does not jump to mind with a city of this type of makeup.

And again this is not to say there are no urban areas, because there are, and honestly the downtown would never be mistaken for not being urban, lacking continuous vibrancy, maybe but even that is getting better

maybe it is my flaw where I equate vibrancy with urbanity, or I was just conditioned as a child based on the 3 cities I knew best NYC, Philly and DC, dunno

Houston's problem is sprawl. The geographical boundaries (water on 2 sides) that confine Seattle add to its density. that and a solid residential core within downtown keep it rocking.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM

224 posts, read 605,129 times
Seattle wins.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Houston is only bound by large bodies of water to the Southeast, Galveston Bay & the Gulf. The rest of the metro has room to sprawl till eternity.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is only bound by large bodies of water to the Southeast, Galveston Bay & the Gulf. The rest of the metro has room to sprawl till eternity.
And that is precisely why its downtown is dead.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

217 posts, read 561,757 times
When asked about urban city I would never think Houston.
If one was to ask "strip mall" then Houston comes to mind.
Sorry Houston, your love of the auto and all that land (sprawl) makes for a unattractive city.
But hey, you got some big towers...be proud.

Last edited by godhead; 08-23-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Dead? Hardly...ever heard of Houston's underground tunnels? The heat & humidity make it almost unbearable most of the year to walk around downtown so Houston built underground pedestrian tunnels which connect every major building in downtown. The tunnel is about 7 miles total in length & has everything from your local barber shop to eye glass store down there.

Downtown Houston Tunnel System, Tunnel Map, Tunnel Hours, Tunnel Shops & Restaurants, Tunnel Tours (http://www.discoverhoustontours.com/Welcome%20to%20the%20Downtown%20Houston%20Tunnel%2 0System%20020722.htm - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
There are exceptions you know. You make it seem that downtown is completely void of activity, which overall may seem like, but there are various spots with pedestrian activity. There are 3 parks downtown that draw over 500,000 visitors each: Sam Houston Park, Tranquility Park, and Discovery Green. There are 2 major sports venues: Toyota Center, home to the Rockets(NBA) and Aeros(AHL), and Minute Maid Park, home to the Astros(MLB). Major retailers downtown are anchored by the stores located in the Houston Pavillions,The Shops at Houston Center, and the storefronts at the Main St. Square. Yes, stores are located downtown,I'd approximate 100-200 of actual retail stores, not including restaurants. Not exactly great, thats more than most people believe. All the major performing arts venues are located downtown. Entertainment options like Lucky Strike Lanes, Angelika Film Center, House of Blues, the Verizon Wireless Theater, Hard Rock Cafe, Pete's Dueling Piano Bar, in addition to dozens and dozens of other bars, pubs, and clubs.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Dead? Hardly...ever heard of Houston's underground tunnels? The heat & humidity make it almost unbearable most of the year to walk around downtown so Houston built underground pedestrian tunnels which connect every major building in downtown. The tunnel is about 7 miles total in length & has everything from your local barber shop to eye glass store down there.

Downtown Houston Tunnel System, Tunnel Map, Tunnel Hours, Tunnel Shops & Restaurants, Tunnel Tours (http://www.discoverhoustontours.com/Welcome%20to%20the%20Downtown%20Houston%20Tunnel%2 0System%20020722.htm - broken link)

What is like at 7PM, 10PM, or 12AM - I think is the point

Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Dead? Hardly...
Ummm seriously. When the major department store downtown closes at 6pm that ought to tell you something.

After 6pm, downtown Houston is dead. Sure there are places to eat, but stores all close and compared to many major cities, in this case Seattle, it is indeed dead, tunnels notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City