Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
i am not saying that the tall building constituted an urban feel to houston.... but it did constitute a huge feel in my head. please respect my feelings
I can get with this and I can agree with it.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes it is epic in houston, in other areas we call it suburban
lollll

Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,852,100 times
Quote:
why do people in houston refuse to believe the majority of their city looks, feels, and functions as a suburb. Most cities have a majority of the thier population in the suburbs, but you guys talk about galleria x and medical center y, outside of few tall buildings there is nothing really different about these areas when compared to satalite suburban centers in every center. Why is it different for houston, this is what I never understand, why is the same thing called something else or made to be something it is not. Seriously
here is where the miscommunication lies. i never argued against the "suburban label". i agree completely. what I did argue though was the tone of posts that seemed to work against my "feelings of how big houston is". i hope i'm making sense. the argument went something similar to this.

"oh houston is suburban.... it doesn't feel big"

"yes, houston does feel big."

"why are you calling houston urban?"

"i'm not calling it urban... i'm saying it feels big."

"well, the suburbs can mislead you to thinking it feels big."

"etc."

"etc."

"etc."

it's comical really.... but understandable and really not that big of a deal.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
I am extremely reasonable, why do people in houston refuse to believe the majority of their city looks, feels, and functions as a suburb. Most cities have a majority of the thier population in the suburbs, but you guys talk about galleria x and medical center y, outside of few tall buildings there is nothing really different about these areas when compared to satalite suburban centers in every center. Why is it different for houston, this is what I never understand, why is the same thing called something else or made to be something it is not. Seriously
lol you just proved my no reasoning with you point. you just went off on something else.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
here is where the miscommunication lies. i never argued against the "suburban label". i agree completely. what I did argue though was the tone of posts that seemed to work against my "feelings of how big houston is". i hope i'm making sense. the argument went something similar to this.

"etc."

"etc."

"etc."

in other words they are not listening to your arguments but just arguing for fun.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
in other words they are not listening to your arguments but just arguing for fun.
well if that's the case i can have fun too....

Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:

"etc."

"etc."

"etc."

Houston as a metro feels expansive, most definately, to me in some ways Dallas, Houston, and LA feel the most expansive, much has to do with pretty consistent urban/suburban development that goes as far as the eye can see. And because these three (Yes the LA Valley is mostly flat) you can it see it to the horizon, that feel is dramatic partly in makeup and partly because of the flatness, on that i would definately agree

I follow, and agree

Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Houston as a metro feels expansive, most definately, to me in some ways Dallas, Houston, and LA feel the most expansive, much has to do with pretty consistent urban/suburban development that goes as far as the eye can see. And because these three (Yes the LA Valley is mostly flat) you can it see it to the horizon, that feel is dramatic partly in makeup and partly because of the flatness, on that i would definately agree

I follow, and agree
yes, absolutely... i think dallas is even much more overwhelming than houston but it's probably because i'm not entirely familiar with it. i lived in the area when i was around 10-14 years old.

the reason why i personally would prefer urban versus sprawl is because firstly it mostly suits my lifestyle and also cause in an urban atmosphere usually, not everything, but mostly things are relatively closer at walking distance, bike ride, or just hop on a bus and in 10 minutes you're there. it's more lively, more things going on, lights, buildings, people walking their dogs, homeless asking for money, hot girls passing you by.... and if you were a filmmaker like me, you'd appreciate that you can capture it all in one frame. that's pretty dramatic too and probably why it's more prevalent in films. in short, i prefer urban because it seems more "tidy" to me... everything is easier to get to and at your convenience.

sprawl on the other hand, everything seems entirely too far, hence a car is necessary. cities were not formatted to bring people back and forth like an urban atmosphere. and if there is public transportation you'd need 2 or 3 transfers to get from point a to point b. then there's miles and miles of shopping centers, houses, skyscrapers spread out, super malls, and cars cars cars. that too in it's own right is big.

they are entirely two separate things. it depends entirely on how you see it.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
lol you just proved my no reasoning with you point. you just went off on something else.

No I actually have been consistent all the way through

Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,577,747 times
Quote:
new development in rural areas? lol listen to yourself

you clearly don't understand Houston's set up.

Most new developments are in fill, or redevelopments. ie the area is getting denser
This map clearly shows rural undeveloped land in Harris County:

Harris County - Texas Zip Code Boundary Map (TX)

Do you think those vast areas of single family subdivisions are going to allow densification in their neighborhoods? There is still room to sprawl even further out. I admit to not being an expert on Houston-area development policies, so is there some mechanism (natural, legal or otherwise) that prevents sprawl from continuing unabated?

Last edited by toughguy; 08-27-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City