U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM

1,997 posts, read 2,979,933 times

Advertisements

Arlington, TX - Arlington, VA
Richmond, VA, - Richmond, CA
Lynwood, CA - Lynwood, IL
Decatur, IL - Decatur, GA
Columbus, GA - Columbus, OH
Cleveland, OH - Cleveland, GA
Atlanta, GA - Atlanta, TX
Dallas, TX - Dallas, GA
Augusta, GA - Augusta, ME
Portland, ME - Portland, OR
Salem, OR - Salem, MA
Springfield, MA - Springfield, OH
Springfield, OH - Springfield, MO
Springfield, MO - Springfield, VA
Springfield, VA - Springfield, IL
Springfield, IL - Springfield, NJ
Princeton, NJ - Princeton, IL
Peoria, IL - Peoria, AZ
Sun City, AZ - Sun City - CA
Fresno, CA - Fresno, TX
Greenville, TX - Greenville, SC
Florence, SC - Florence, AZ
Glendale, AZ - Glendale, CA
Palm Springs, CA - Palm Springs, FL
Jacksonville, FL - Jacksonville, TX
Marshall, TX - Marshall, MO
Kansas City, MO - Kansas City, KS
Andover, KS - Andover, FL
Miami, FL - Miami, OH
Canton, OH - Canton, GA
Auburn, GA - Auburn, AL
Jasper, AL - Jasper, TX
Austin, TX - Austin, MN
St. Cloud, MD - St. Cloud, FL
Perry, FL - Perry, GA
Douglas, GA - Douglas, AZ
Winslow, AZ - Winslow, ME
Brunswick, ME - Brunswick, GA
Albany, GA - Albany, NY
Oceanside, NY - Oceanside, CA
Pasadena, CA - Pasadena, TX
Santa Fe, TX - Santa, Fe, NM
Las Vegas, NM - Las Vegas, NV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,158,657 times
Are there any other Kansas City situations? Where two towns border one another across a state line?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-11-2013, 11:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,600,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Are there any other Kansas City situations? Where two towns border one another across a state line?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas is probably the most known outside of the two Kansas Cities. I always thought it would've been neat if they actually had laid out the cities right at the point where all three states meet (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana) so that there would be a Texarkana in Louisiana as well.

I also think it would've been neat to have had a similar situation here in the Four Corners states at the point where all four states meet. I have no idea what name could've been chosen to encompass all four states, though. Perhaps it could've just been named Four Corners or Four Corners City.

But how about Colutarico? Or Aritahadomex?

In New Mexico and Texas there are two towns named Anthony which lie directly across the state line from each other just north of El Paso. New Mexico has a town named Texico on the border with Texas, but there's no Texico in Texas. Instead, the town directly opposite Texico is called Farwell.

There are also cases where cities with the same name are separated by national borders. Niagara Falls, New York and Niagara Falls, Ontario on the U.S.-Canada border, for example.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM
BMI

6,952 posts, read 4,139,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas is probably the most known outside of the two Kansas Cities. I always thought it would've been neat if they actually had laid out the cities right at the point where all three states meet (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana) so that there would be a Texarkana in Louisiana as well.

I also think it would've been neat to have had a similar situation here in the Four Corners states at the point where all four states meet. I have no idea what name could've been chosen to encompass all four states, though. Perhaps it could've just been named Four Corners or Four Corners City.

But how about Colutarico? Or Aritahadomex?

In New Mexico and Texas there are two towns named Anthony which lie directly across the state line from each other just north of El Paso. New Mexico has a town named Texico on the border with Texas, but there's no Texico in Texas. Instead, the town directly opposite Texico is called Farwell.

There are also cases where cities with the same name are separated by national borders. Niagara Falls, New York and Niagara Falls, Ontario on the U.S.-Canada border, for example.
Or like... Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

I live in Burlington, Ontario ....not to be confused with Burlington, Vermont (I like both)

Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 221 times
one truly cool location is Bristol TN / Bristol VA --- the TN-VA state line runs down State Street (imagine that name) splitting one city into two; two cities a little closer together than Kansas City KS and Kansas City MO split by a river ... its always fun to find those multiple city places

Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM

684 posts, read 321,954 times
Duluth is in MN and GA. The one in GA is a suburb of Atlanta and was named after the one here in MN.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM

2,995 posts, read 1,264,700 times
Just here in the Charlotte metro area, there's a Dallas, Denver, and Cleveland.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 AM

743 posts, read 468,175 times
I'd guess lots of states have cities named after the same people... Jackson, Madison, Lincoln, etc.

There are two Birminghams that i know of: Alabama and Michigan (Detroit suburb)

Old 02-15-2019, 04:16 AM

4,253 posts, read 2,053,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesully View Post
one truly cool location is Bristol TN / Bristol VA --- the TN-VA state line runs down State Street (imagine that name) splitting one city into two; two cities a little closer together than Kansas City KS and Kansas City MO split by a river ... its always fun to find those multiple city places
The Missouri River does a left turn at Kansas City. Kansas City, Mo.'s downtown lies south of it.

South of that point, the border is a street you cross, State Line Road. (From 39th Street north to the river, you don't even have that.)

The state line being the common city limit, there are points where, if you crossed it, you wouldn't know you've crossed it unless you noticed things like differences in the street signs. This is especially true in the West Bottoms, the old stockyards district. The reason the downtown isn't there is because this is the floodplain around the junction of the Missouri and Kansas rivers right at the point where the Missouri makes its turn. It was inundated twice in two disastrous floods. The first, in 1903, led to the construction of the elevated viaduct that connects the two cities' downtowns, both on high ground above the floodplain, and the moving of the Missouri city's main railroad station out of the West Bottoms. The second, in 1951, ultimately led to the demise of the stockyards and the meat packing houses that were located in it.

The better parallel to Bristol, Va./Tenn., is Texarkana, Tex./Ark. There, as in Bristol, the state line is the main road into the city as well as the main street of its downtown. ISTR the post office serving the two cities was built astride it.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 2,053,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
According to this web site, there are 35 Springfields in the US:

Springfield
Perhaps worth noting:

Three of Pennsylvania's ten Springfield Townships lie in the same metropolitan area, that of Philadelphia.

One, the one in Montgomery County, borders the city at its northwest corner; another, in Delaware County, is about 10 miles west-southwest of the city; the third is in Bucks County, right on its border with Northampton County.

The Montgomery County one is usually not referred to by its name but rather by the names of the communities within it (Wyndmoor, Erdenheim, Oreland, Flourtown; also Fort Washington, Laverock, Glenside, North Hills and Miquon, which are all partly located within it).

Because of where it is located, you don't hear the Bucks County one mentioned much in local media or conversation. It's mostly rural.

The website counts only two and links to a map pinpointing the Delaware County one.

And if there are 10 Springfields in Pennsylvania and that list above missed eight of them, then there must be more than 35 Springfields across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or