Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

190 posts, read 430,277 times

Advertisements

wait so its getting bigger? and that's better? cut out the contradictions. seriously, this does not need to be a competition. ft. worth, cool, do your thing! enjoy the zoo! if you're so comfortable with you city and its image then why do you care if its second fiddle to dallas and always will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
ESPN chose Fort Worth because they wanted the Texas theme. They didn't get that in Houston and they know they won't get that in Dallas anywhere. If they wanted any other theme, Dallas would have more a chance to host whatever setup ESPN wanted. But Fort Worth has no shame in it. I don't want to say Dallas distances itself from it but the same type of Texas culture that exists in Fort Worth has been diluted the past 30 years in Dallas to the point that it is barely surviving. It only exists in the city's mentality.
Funny thing.... When I was in Prairie View a few months ago, I heard Jay Mohr say, "Houston is the REAL Texas city..." Then he went on for a few seconds and bashed Dallas.
My reaction: "Uh, I think we, and San Antonio might have somethin' to say about that....."

Really, I thought they at least tried to get the "Texas theme" goin' in Houston during Super Bowl XXXJanet, but it got to the point where it was almost demeaning. I hope when February rolls around and ESPN gets to Sundance, they don't over do it. I want this to be as classy and dignified as possible.

Besides, Houston has more of a Space theme goin' for its city. We all got our own themes....

Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Hold the phone.

Jay Mohr, isn't he a Yankee?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Jay Mohr, isn't he a Yankee?
Yep. Which would make think he'd actually LIKE Dallas more than the other Texas cities. lol

Really, though, he was just playin' up to the local radio audience... He'd talk sh*t about Houston if he was in DFW. You know how it goes.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM

what exactly makes ft. worth more "texan" than any other texas city?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Obviously Obtuse you know I that NEVER visit suburbs. But I go to Fort Worthless a couple of times a year to go to a museum show and eat Tex-Mex out of that little house south of the cow-pens.
Cute nickname, how long did it take you to come up with that...

As for the rest of this post, spoken like a true oblivious, provincial, plastic, insecure Dallasite.

As I state earlier, Dallas and Dallasites in general love to pretend they're something they're not. I know Lakewooder likes to pretend that Dallas is supposed to be so urbane when most people who live outside limited bubbles that's hardly the truth.

I'd say Ft Worth is a lot more secure of itself and its citizens tend to be a lot more humble.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
Let's just say this. Most people view Texas with cattle and cows, cowboys, honky tonk, spread out, stetsons, saloons, etc. You'll get a better view of this in Fort Worth than you would in Dallas, wouldn't you agree. I remember when there was news to turn the Reunion Arena into Billy Bob's honky tonk and let's just say that this was met with displeasure from a big portion of the Dallas residents. I bet he wouldn't get that same displeasure if it was in Fort Worth.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
Well for one thing, we're not embarrassed to say we're in Texas and we embrace our history. At least, that's what it seems like..... Dallasites try to convince the WORLD that it's not a Texas city.
Now it's one thing to be offended when people refer to your city as "redneck" or any other negative Texas stereotype you can think of. But when you get mad at people just because they mention Cowboys and cattle.... I don't get it. I mean, that's your heritage. Hell, there are cows under some of the underpasses in Dallas right now. YOUR football team is called the "Cowboys". You've had two famous TV shows filmed there where the main character wore a cowboy hat and had a thick accent.....
Plus you see Texas imagery everywhere here in Fort Worth. It's in the architecture, the Stockyards, the Museums, and even alot of the people. I don't know about you, but I love it. And I'm glad we have an AUTHENTIC image and not something borrowed from other cities. . . . . You can be Western AND modern. It's not impossible.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM

umm...dallas has all of that...just a lot of other things as well. you're right we have the cowboys the mavericks, the longhorns at fuel city, pioneer plaza, deep ellum, gilley's and eddie dean's ranch. you see folks walking around with cowboy hats on over here, too. dallas doesn't embrace its history as much as it should, i know all too much about that. but dallas also has an incredibly troubled history that it has found difficult to cope with. dallas has felt the need to rebuild its identity because of this troubled history. i know much less about ft. worth's history and don't think that they have nearly the depth of historical 'problems' that dallas does.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let's just say this. Most people view Texas with cattle and cows, cowboys, honky tonk, spread out, stetsons, saloons, etc. You'll get a better view of this in Fort Worth than you would in Dallas, wouldn't you agree. I remember when there was news to turn the Reunion Arena into Billy Bob's honky tonk and let's just say that this was met with displeasure from a big portion of the Dallas residents. I bet he wouldn't get that same displeasure if it was in Fort Worth.
Fort Worth isn't necessarily trying to give off a image of being a cowboy or cattle town but more of preserving its history. Whats wrong with that? Ive never in my life had pair of cowboy boots or cowboy hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City