U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,389,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Where are all the DC residents that love to tout how DC is superior to SF?
Not sure who this is in reference to, but considering the qualifying criteria used in the rankings this DC resident doesn't see anything to complain about. (I might take issue with San Francisco getting to claim credit for the IT hub that is San Jose and the Sillicon Valley, but that's a different point of contention.)

My position on DC when it comes to rankings of national and global importance has been consistent: it's incredibly difficult to place a qualitative value on DC's importance, simply because of the immense amount of power the federal government exerts over the country, and the place of dominance that the U.S. holds in the world. It's in a unique position that makes head-to-head comparisons with other cities immensely challenging.

By some criteria (politics, military, national and global policy), I think an argument could be made that DC is the most important city in the world. But an honest assessment of powerful global cities includes more than just a handful of criteria, so I think this particular placement of DC is probably apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,192,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
you need to go to the full report
I read it it, multiple times just to see what if anything was the reason why Dallas, Philadelphia, & Seattle are not on this list...

Except on their "explanation" for the cities:
Quote:
So what makes a Global City? Not size alone, that's for sure; many of the world's largest megalopolises, such as Karachi (60), Lagos (59), and Kolkata (63), barely make the list. Instead, the index aims to measure how much sway a city has over what happens beyond its own borders -- its influence on and integration with global markets, culture, and innovation. To create this year's rankings, we analyzed 65 cities with more than 1 million people across every region of the globe, using definitive sources to tally everything from a city's business activity, human capital, and information exchange to its cultural experience and political engagement. Data ranged from how many Fortune Global 500 company headquarters were in a city to the size of its capital markets and the flow of goods through its airports and ports, as well as factors such as the number of embassies, think tanks, political organizations, and museums. Taken together, a city's performance on this slate of indicators tells us how worldly -- or provincial -- it really is.
Okay now I am jealous, where was this quote (see below) when I needed it for my Washington DC- Los Angeles thread...:
Quote:
The seats of traditional political power aren't necessarily the most global. Only four of the top 10 cities are national capitals. Washington comes in at No. 13. Beijing (15) edges out Berlin (16), which trounces Moscow (25). Two of the top 10 global cities are laws unto themselves, operating outside the jurisdiction of a separate national government (Hong Kong and Singapore). The sun set a half-century ago on the British Empire, and yet London continues to shine at No. 2. For now.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM

4,000 posts, read 6,926,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ut oh, my UPS package may be late - damn thunderstorms

Dallas - choose one from TX - fairly arbitrary
Philly - Had 3 from NE (all top 20) left one off

Ranking were only provided for those included and for those not included does not mean they were not more or less important, selction to not overload from any specific region of the world, hence Philly got screwed, proximity to NYC

paraphrased above
Seriously you mean to tell me the 4th (Dallas/Fort Worth) and 5th (Philadelphia) largest metro areas in the country are not included. You have to be one dumb person to think these rankings hold any weight. The majority of the time when these ranking come out they don't even include the Fort Worth/Arlington area with Dallas. Which marginalize DFW importance even more.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM

20,910 posts, read 32,919,102 times
The list is what it is. Sorry if your city isn't on there. Better luck next year.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,192,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Seriously you mean to tell me the 4th (Dallas/Fort Worth) and 5th (Philadelphia) largest metro areas in the country are not included. You have to be one dumb person to think these rankings hold any weight.
But in my opinion, they do, they most certainly do hold weight. I just don't agree with some cities being left out and some ranked monstrously higher than they deserve. But mehhh I wasn't the one they hired to analyze it so I'll just let the "pros" in these studies in Europe & Chicago handle it.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,453,388 times
like i always say, "it is what it is."

Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
But in my opinion, they do, they most certainly do hold weight. I just don't agree with some cities being left out and some ranked monstrously higher than they deserve. But mehhh I wasn't the one they hired to analyze it so I'll just let the "pros" in these studies in Europe & Chicago handle it.
Basically the analysis ok NYC, LA, Chicago, ok lets skip Dallas and Philadelphia, ok lets add San Franscico( Just for the hell of it add San Jose with SanFran even though they are in seperate MSA's) ok lets add Houston and Atlanta.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,119,712 times
But why weren't these cities included? Does it say in the full report (which I admitedly haven't read)?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,264,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Basically the analysis ok NYC, LA, Chicago, ok lets skip Dallas and Philadelphia, ok lets add San Franscico( Just for the hell of it add San Jose with SanFran even though they are in seperate MSA's) ok lets add Houston and Atlanta.
Dallas must have been too popular on the world stage to be added. They were like: "Can't Touch This"

LOl, it is just a silly ranking dude. It means nothing.

It just paid one some author's bills by doing it

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I will stick with the GaWC studies although I dont agree with them either. Philadelphia a Gamma are you serious

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or