U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,022 posts, read 6,956,064 times
Reputation: 1964

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
But would you say its telecommunication hub is of regional (USA) or global importance (the world)? I don't see how it will affect a person in China or Russia or something or their companies.
Would you also say that there can be other cities in other nations that can compete with DFW & possibly beat it in telecommunications?

I actually don't know if its regional or global with it, thats why I'm literally just asking you first hand before assuming why that was ignored.
Nope they can't compete...AT&T is 7th largest company in the U.S.. Really DFW is big in technology period. Texas instruments etc....

AT&T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,254,356 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What rankings was Los Angeles the years before?

How can D.C. fall? What's going on with our capital?
No Washington DC just fell on this list, its the only one I've seen so far.

On GaWC they rose and all other rankings too, its just in a competitive area with some of the most competitive cities like San Francisco and others. It's doing well either way.

But Los Angeles fell at one point from Alpha world city to Beta World City recently and then they were placed again as Alpha - on GaWC.

On overall rankings they trail Chicago by a mere point, where was not the case before when they were ahead.

When a city much larger like Los Angeles starts going downward on a list it really makes you wonder why. In 2008, on this list they were where Chicago is right now, and Chicago overtook them.

And right now their economy seems battered with a 11.6% Unemployment rate.

Just really makes me wonder whats going on in Los Angeles really, especially because its America's 2nd largest city, and the fact that Chicago isn't at its prime right now either and its passing Los Angeles up in multiple lists... just confusing really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,022 posts, read 6,956,064 times
Reputation: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No Washington DC just fell on this list, its the only one I've seen so far.

On GaWC they rose and all other rankings too, its just in a competitive area with some of the most competitive cities like San Francisco and others. It's doing well either way.

But Los Angeles fell at one point from Alpha world city to Beta World City recently and then they were placed again as Alpha - on GaWC.

On overall rankings they trail Chicago by a mere point, where was not the case before when they were ahead.

When a city much larger like Los Angeles starts going downward on a list it really makes you wonder why. In 2008, on this list they were where Chicago is right now, and Chicago overtook them.

And right now their economy seems battered with a 11.6% Unemployment rate.

Just really makes me wonder whats going on in Los Angeles really, especially because its America's 2nd largest city, and the fact that Chicago isn't at its prime right now either and its passing Los Angeles up in multiple lists... just confusing really.
Cali has loss a lot of corporations and it was a article out saying most of them have been relocating to Texas the majority to Dallas-Fort Worth in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,254,356 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Nope they can't compete...AT&T is 7th largest company in the U.S.. Really DFW is big in technology period. Texas instruments etc....

AT&T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah but that proves my point though, in the US they're 7th. Meaning regional. Tata Indicom (some kind of weird name like that) is highly ranked as one of India's top 10 companies serving more people than much of the US's population... but even then it is a regional company.

I was just asking to see if there could be a global compilation on telecommunication.

Also T.I compared to Bay Area technology companies like HP, Apple, Google, Yahoo!. T.I is alone against those giants, and the Bay Area is regarded as the most innovative technological area in the world.

I'm not trying to downplay Seattle & DFW, just trying to support my particular reasoning as to why I think they are not on the list. Like I said though, take this with a grain of salt, Chongqing & Kolkata, ROFLMFAO!! Like those two don't belong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Cali has loss a lot of corporations and it was a article out saying most of them have been relocating to Texas the majority to Dallas-Fort Worth in particular.
Yeah, California lost Bank of America to Charlotte sometime back... and I can see what you're saying a lot of companies have relocated to DFW area. American Airlines from New York was a much earlier example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,885,473 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No Washington DC just fell on this list, its the only one I've seen so far.

On GaWC they rose and all other rankings too, its just in a competitive area with some of the most competitive cities like San Francisco and others. It's doing well either way.

But Los Angeles fell at one point from Alpha world city to Beta World City recently and then they were placed again as Alpha - on GaWC.

On overall rankings they trail Chicago by a mere point, where was not the case before when they were ahead.

When a city much larger like Los Angeles starts going downward on a list it really makes you wonder why. In 2008, on this list they were where Chicago is right now, and Chicago overtook them.

And right now their economy seems battered with a 11.6% Unemployment rate.

Just really makes me wonder whats going on in Los Angeles really, especially because its America's 2nd largest city, and the fact that Chicago isn't at its prime right now either and its passing Los Angeles up in multiple lists... just confusing really.
That's strange. I thought Los Angeles was starting to get better. It probably is but it is still odd that they are lowering it on the list. If it falls even farther in the next few years, then that's not good, but it might be common that cities switch around sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:23 PM
 
Location: DC
244 posts, read 492,951 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Cali has loss a lot of corporations and it was a article out saying most of them have been relocating to Texas the majority to Dallas-Fort Worth in particular.
So then why is SF inching up these lists?

Isn't SF in California?

Did you mean Southern California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,254,356 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
So then why is SF inching up these lists?

Isn't SF in California?
The Bay Area has one of the most influential and the most innovative technological economies in the world. The Bay Area economy is among the most diverse in the country (economically), with the likes of New York City, Chicago, Boston, DFW, & Washington DC, and they have their hands on literally every industry you can name.

From finance, to clothing. Port activity there is increasing, they are becoming a very powerful region. Banking, tourism, finance, education (only surpassed by Boston & Oxford in UK), Port activity, rail freight, trade and regulations on the Pacific Rim, Media, IT, etc... (way to much to list)

The new global media = the internet, not films and newspapers anymore. Bay Area controls those new methods for Media, its inherited Media and revolutionized it from Los Angeles.

San Francisco-Oakland has lowered its unemployment rate to 9%'s area.

They just have too much to take a large hit. Houston, Los Angeles, Miami are beginning to diversify their economy but they still rely heavily on one industry for a large chunk of their overall economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That's strange. I thought Los Angeles was starting to get better. It probably is but it is still odd that they are lowering it on the list. If it falls even farther in the next few years, then that's not good, but it might be common that cities switch around sometimes.
They're diversifying their economy, that will be a good step for Los Angeles, I hope. Las Vegas is the one that needs to start showing more concern about their overall recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,022 posts, read 6,956,064 times
Reputation: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
So then why is SF inching up these lists?

Isn't SF in California?

Did you mean Southern California?
I don't have the answer to that but you can definitely google and will most definitely show that the state of California has lost a fair amount of business. Just because a city rose on the list doesn't mean there economy is exactly booming. Houston is the only city on this list that can make that claim from the U.S. The other metro DFW wasn't even included in the studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,159,629 times
Reputation: 4051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I don't have the answer to that but you can definitely google and will most definitely show that the state of California has lost a fair amount of business. Just because a city rose on the list doesn't mean there economy is exactly booming. Houston is the only city on this list that can make that claim from the U.S. The other metro DFW wasn't even included in the studies.
I think you could definitely include Atlanta and Washington DC in that category too. They're both in the same realm as Houston in terms of growth.

I think the Los Angeles decline/San Francisco advance are great examples of just how large and diverse (both culturally & economicall) California is.

San Francisco is one of those places that will always attract some of the best and brightest, so it helps make it very recession-resistant despite many of the anti-business policies the California government has adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles, CA
2,685 posts, read 6,172,872 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I don't have the answer to that but you can definitely google and will most definitely show that the state of California has lost a fair amount of business. Just because a city rose on the list doesn't mean there economy is exactly booming. Houston is the only city on this list that can make that claim from the U.S. The other metro DFW wasn't even included in the story.
But you see how Los Angeles =/= California, which is why we are having this discussion in the first place. AwesomeDanny was talking about the decline of Los Angeles, and you mention California, to which people have been saying "San Francisco is still in California"

Increasingly more so in the future, LA won't be associated with California as a whole anymore, something which hasn't happened in the past 60 years.

Interestingly enough, the Bay Area already has more billionaires than the LA area.

The Forbes 400 - Forbes.com
San Francisco Area 42
Los Angeles Area 35

Maybe it will force leaders in SoCal to stop sitting on their hands and do something before we become the West Coast version of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top