U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,461,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why there were excluded from the analysis- Do you believe that Atlanta, Houston, and Miami are heads above either Dallas or Philly - it was unscientiifc, but so was the score that this analysis was providing by not including them
They probably should have been on the list (definitely Dallas), but it's the way you tried to come up with their rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,367,529 times
Quote:
Did you see Dallas was not included in the analysis, there is zero way to tell where it would have ranked
No where near as high as Houston I can tell you that much. Houston has enough foreign business transactions & connections to make your head spin.

Dallas is important to Texas & the South, that's it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,318,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No where near as high as Houston I can tell you that much. Houston has enough foreign business transactions to make your head spin.

Dallas is important to Texas & the South, that's it.
Matt, how much traveling have you done? I virtually live overseas (3 months a year minimum) so I feel I have a very good grasp on the issue.

My claim has always been that Dallas, in name only, was more known and this doesn't change my mind. My claim was not that Dallas' economy was more international, which is what this study is trying to measure. My claim was also not that Dallas was more important. This is not a study of name recognition.

This is the wrong place for this. Go to the thread for the Texas cities name recognition if you want to start this up.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Matt, how much traveling have you done?
Outside the US? None yet

Inside the US? A fair amount

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,318,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Outside the US? None yet

Inside the US? A fair amount
Go see the world and then come talk to me.

Im not going to say anything about Houston, but you would at least be able to grasp how well the name Dallas is known worldwide. Again, I am not arguing anything about importance or economy, but name recognition.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM

7,798 posts, read 11,743,302 times
Quote:
Nope - read the study - pre selected 65 and only those were ranked. The criteria for those studied was subjective and also was argued as to which were in and out - final answer is no way to tell where Dallas or Philly would have ranked
I agree it was subjective, but I doubt they were dumb enough to flat out ignore Dallas and Philadelphia. More than likely they started out with a list with every city/metro over 1 million and broke it down from there until they got to their cut of 65.

Quote:
- kind of like the list from an earlier thread (All ranking combined think Montclair was the OP), it showed Philly 18 points behind Atlanta when Philly was excluded from 3 studies and Atlanta from 1, and as the example Philly was ahead of Atlanta in 3 of the 5 they were both ranked in, why these lists can be confusing.
I don't think that thread needs a rehash. Atlanta has proven again and again on several studies to be a major player in the global economy and is the engine of an entire region. Philadelphia doesn't carry the same weight as it does in it's region and it's dominance in the global economy isn't felt as much as other cities. I know you'll disagree, but if study after study shows pretty much the same thing when averaged out that should tell you something.

The biggest problem for Philly is that it is hamstrung by it's regional counter parts, not it being ignored in favor of other cities.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They probably should have been on the list (definitely Dallas), but it's the way you tried to come up with their rankings.

We will never know - I do know at least in Europe there is ton of Internalltional business and influence for Philly - but we will never know, so I said i will take the average - do you have a better estimate?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,156,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm glad to see an American city being number one. The surprise to me was San Francisco & Washington DC, both of which are going to rise up the list though.

Los Angeles has benefited greatly by port services. Bay Area & Seattle are both greatly going to increase too, you've got a great point, in time I can see Bay Area surpassing much on that list to crack the top 10.
The problem is that the Bay Area ISN'T only San Francisco. It's unfair to attribute the importance of the WHOLE metro area to one city, considering that the East and South Bay are just as equal, or even more important than the city.

Then again, I'm sure SF isn't the only world city where that's the case. It just seems to be one of the few American cases where that's true.

What's even more surprising is how many people on CD don't consider the Bay Area important at all, as if California owes its existence to LA (which, it doesn't by a long shot).

We'll see how this plays out in the coming years!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree it was subjective, but I doubt they were dumb enough to flat out ignore Dallas and Philadelphia. More than likely they started out with a list with every city/metro over 1 million and broke it down from there until they got to their cut of 65.

I don't think that thread needs a rehash. Atlanta has proven again and again on several studies to be a major player in the global economy and is the engine of an entire region. Philadelphia doesn't carry the same weight as it does in it's region and it's dominance in the global economy isn't felt as much as other cities. I know you'll disagree, but if study after study shows pretty much the same thing when averaged out that should tell you something.

The biggest problem for Philly is that it is hamstrung by it's regional counter parts, not it being ignored in favor of other cities.

To the end of your qoute we will agree to disagree, but will say when rated on the same criteria internationally Philly was ranked ahead of Atlanta in 3 of 5, others excluded one or the other. heaven forbid Philly be included and Atlanta be excluded

and on your first point, ehh no - go read it

ok so after your edit - yes (left Philly out for that reason to not weight the NE deck understanding that in doing so it would not be included and most likely should have, but fine) also being there is actually a benefit in many ways including international commerce which it is. Philly is home to 5 US HQs of Non US Global 200 Cos, how many does Atlanta have?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Go see the world and then come talk to me.

Im not going to say anything about Houston, but you would at least be able to grasp how well the name Dallas is known worldwide. Again, I am not arguing anything about importance or economy, but name recognition.
Houston doesn't have to parade its NFL team around the world to gain name recognition like Dallas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or