U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,312,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

The biggest problem for Philly is that it is hamstrung by it's regional counter parts, not it being ignored in favor of other cities.
I think Dallas has the same problem.

Dallas doesnt isnt the worldwide center of an industry (like Houston and oil) nor is it a media or medical center (like Atlanta). Even though its economy is roughly the same size as the other two, its too diverse to stand out in one area and be known for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston doesn't have to parade its NFL team around the world to gain name recognition like Dallas does.
Ill chalk it up to ignorance on your part for never having been anywhere. All you can do is guess what people in other countries know in name.

This is not the thread for this. If you wish to debate me further, do it in another thread.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,362,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think Dallas has the same problem.

Dallas doesnt isnt the worldwide center of an industry (like Houston and oil) nor is it a media or medical center (like Atlanta). Even though its economy is roughly the same size as the other two, its too diverse to stand out in one area and be known for it.
Houston is known around the world for more than just oil alone. NASA, the Port of Houston, & its Medical Center (largest in the world) play a huge role also.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,203,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
The problem is that the Bay Area ISN'T only San Francisco. It's unfair to attribute the importance of the WHOLE metro area to one city, considering that the East and South Bay are just as equal, or even more important than the city.

Then again, I'm sure SF isn't the only world city where that's the case. It just seems to be one of the few American cases where that's true.

What's even more surprising is how many people on CD don't consider the Bay Area important at all, as if California owes its existence to LA (which, it doesn't by a long shot).

We'll see how this plays out in the coming years!
Trust me I know what you mean. From a Texas standpoint Fort Worth which carries nearly half the weight of the Metroplex also gets left out from these rankings.

I guess they normally give it to the best known city. And I agree entirely San Jose is an engine of its own, and its proven time and time again how important it and its surrounding Silicon Valley truly is.

I guess getting something out of it is better than nothing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
They already are from last year.
Yeah and I see them continue to rise, they will eventually get their names into the top 10 and continue to climb the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
After considering your other thread, I have to agree.

SF and DC are an interesting pair to watch in coming years.
Agreed, they are a very interesting pair to keep your eyes on indeed. They are much the modern versions of Los Angeles & Chicago (by importance). And eventually I can see them replace those two. (in my opinion- since it hasn't happened yet)

21,959 posts, read 30,846,027 times
Quote:
Houston doesn't have to parade its NFL team around the world to gain name recognition like Dallas does.

You kids need to play nice, also I often wonder Metro in these parts may have a different meaning

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
The problem is that the Bay Area ISN'T only San Francisco. It's unfair to attribute the importance of the WHOLE metro area to one city, considering that the East and South Bay are just as equal, or even more important than the city.

Then again, I'm sure SF isn't the only world city where that's the case. It just seems to be one of the few American cases where that's true.

What's even more surprising is how many people on CD don't consider the Bay Area important at all, as if California owes its existence to LA (which, it doesn't by a long shot).

We'll see how this plays out in the coming years!
I agree. Obviously, as the principal city in the area San Francisco gets the limelight, but it would never be where it is in these rankings without Oakland and San Jose and rest of the Bay Area.

The best analogy for the Bay Area is The Supremes. Diana Ross (San Francisco) got all the fame and adulation because she was the prettiest, but Mary Wilson (San Jose) was always the better singer, only a music nut could tell you about Florence Ballard (Oakland), and the other singers that came in and out of the group get ignored (the rest of the Bay Area).

Last edited by waronxmas; 08-18-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,362,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You kids need to play nice, also I often wonder Metro in these parts may have a different meaning
Not sure I'm following you here...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,846,027 times
Quote:
Not sure I'm following you here...

Regional variations I suppose

Old 08-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Houston is known around the world for more than just oil alone. NASA, the Port of Houston, & its Medical Center (largest in the world) play a huge role also.
If you want to debate this, go to the right thread.

We cant discuss this here further.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,326,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree. Obviously, as the principal city in the area San Francisco get's the limelight, but it would never be where it is in these rankings without Oakland and San Jose and rest of the Bay Area.

The best analogy for the Bay Area is The Supremes. Diana Ross (San Francisco) got all the fame and adulation because she was the prettiest, but Mary Wilson (San Jose) was always the better singer, only a music nut could tell you about Florence Ballard (Oakland), and the other singers that came in and out of the group get ignored (the rest of the Bay Area).

LOL . For the younger kids on this forum, Beyonce would be San Francisco, Kelly Rowland would be San Jose, and Michelle Williams would be Oakland. LaToya, LaTavia, and Farrah would be the rest of the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or