U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,896,486 times

Advertisements

^ Lmao!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,349,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Regional variations I suppose
Metro can mean one of several things...

Short for Metropolitan, Metrosexual, etc.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

21,952 posts, read 30,822,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Metro can mean one of several things...
agree, or more of many things

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,733,220 times
Quote:
Philly is home to 5 US HQs of Non US Global 200 Cos, how many does Atlanta have?
I'm not sure, I know we just picked up the American HQ of Sony-Ericsson, but there are probably more. What ever we do have though are dwarfed by the American companies HQd here:

-Largest package and freight shipping company in the world (UPS). It's three times as large as it's nearest competitor (FedEx) and is the sole package handling and freight shipping company in China. You know, the place were most of the world's goods are manufactured? The company that is responsible for making sure stuff gets places in a global economy is rather important.

-Largest Airline in the world (Delta)

-Largest indirect employer in the world (Coca-Cola). I know we'll see posts with it's just sugar water, but that company is responsible for 2 million+ people around the world taking a pay check home every day.

That's only a small sampling of the companies here, but the three alone is justification enough to always ensure a spot for Atlanta in global rankings. As far as I know, Philadelphia doesn't have any company HQ remotely close to any one of those companies, let alone all three. That's just the way it is.

Last edited by waronxmas; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not sure, I know we just picked up the American HQ of Sony-Ericsson, but there are probably more. What ever we do have though are dwarfed by the American companies HQd here:

-Largest package and freight shipping company in the world (UPS). It's three times as large as it's nearest competitor (FedEx) and is the sole package handling and freight shipping company in China. You know, the place were most of the world's goods are manufactured? The company that is responsible for making sure stuff gets places in a global economy is rather important.

-Largest Airline in the world (Delta)

-Largest indirect employer in the world (Coca-Cola). I know we'll see posts with it's just sugar water, but that company is responsible for 2 million+ people around the world taking a pay check home everyday

This only a small sampling of the companies here, but the three alone is justification enough to always ensure a spot for Atlanta in global rankings. As far as I know, Philadelphia doesn't have any company HQ there remote close any one of those companies let alone all three. That's just the way it is.

Dude - Seriously?

US Fortune 500 (stopped at about 200)
Amerisource Bergen #22
Dupont #67
Comcast #89
CIGNA #101
Sunoco #123
Aramark #202
Vangaurd (Privately Held Seond Largest Fund Corp in World)

US HQ of Intn'l Cos World Rank (Again stopped at 200)
ING #8
HSBC #21
Siemens #30
AstraZeneca #200
SAP

Now I agree Atlanta also has impressive companies but really, why make that statement

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,733,220 times
Quote:
Dude - Seriously?

US Fortune 500 (stopped at about 200)
Amerisource Bergen #22
Dupont #67
Comcast #89
CIGNA #101
Sunoco #123
Aramark #202
Vangaurd (Privately Held Seond Largest Fund Corp in World)

US HQ of Intn'l Cos World Rank (Again stopped at 200)
ING #8
HSBC #21
Siemens #30
AstraZeneca #200
SAP

Now I agree Atlanta also has impressive companies but really, why make that statement
Um, I didn't say Philadelphia didn't have any important companies. I just stated that it doesn't have any as vitally important to the world economy as the top one's in Atlanta. That's just a fact.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Um, I didn't say Philadelphia didn't have any important companies. I just stated that it doesn't have any as vitally important to the world economy as the top one's in Atlanta. That's just my opinion.

Corrected for truth

Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

190 posts, read 369,222 times
yall are missing the truly important cities that got left out of the study. No San Diego? No Orlando?!? No FORT WORTH?!?!?!?!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM

18,227 posts, read 25,920,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston doesn't have to parade its NFL team around the world to gain name recognition like Dallas does.
Probably because the Texans isn't even a 1/5 as successful as the Cowboys.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,264,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
yall are missing the truly important cities that got left out of the study. No San Diego? No Orlando?!? No FORT WORTH?!?!?!?!
No Boise Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or