U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM

6,829 posts, read 9,397,233 times

Advertisements

I must admit that I expected a different list from the one on the OP. When I saw a list called Global Cities that was taken from FOREIGN POLICY magazine, I expected to see Washington DC and Beijing automatically in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,130,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Um, I didn't say Philadelphia didn't have any important companies. I just stated that it doesn't have any as vitally important to the world economy as the top one's in Atlanta. That's just a fact.
How is that a fact? Companies like Comcast, Sunoco, AstraZeneca, Siemens, and HSBC are ENORMOUS world players. While their revenues might not match that of Coca-Cola, you can't base the importance of a company's role in the world economy simply by revenue stream...

For example, financial service companies like HSBC or ING won't have massive revenue streams (or at least not a revenue stream that matches their economic influence) like Coca Cola, but you could argue they're much more important because of all the money they control.

It's 100% your opinion that the Atlanta companies are more "vitally important to the world economy".

Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM

7,798 posts, read 11,743,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How is that a fact? Companies like Comcast, Sunoco, AstraZeneca, Siemens, and HSBC are ENORMOUS world players. While their revenues might not match that of Coca-Cola, you can't base the importance of a company's role in the world economy simply by revenue stream...
Revenue is one part of the game, but does not necessarily translate into "importance".

Comcast is a perfect example of that. It's a very large company, has huge revenues, but essentially it's only important in America.

As for the other companies, those are just local headquarters, the big decisions are made elsewhere.

AstraZeneca's HQ is in London
HSBC's HQ is in Hong Kong (with it's main US HQ in New York)
Siemens' HQ is in Berlin
Sunoco's HQ is in Pittsburgh

Quote:
For example, financial service companies like HSBC or ING won't have massive revenue streams (or at least not a revenue stream that matches their economic influence) like Coca Cola, but you could argue they're much more important because of all the money they control.
While true, the key decisions are not made in their Philadelphia offices.

Quote:
It's 100% your opinion that the Atlanta companies are more "vitally important to the world economy".
I disagree. This isn't civic pride talking, but just reality. If UPS up and decided (and this decision is made in Atlanta) to stop shipping anything from China, their manufacturing economy would come to a grinding halt and no other company would be able to come in and take it's place in any reasonable time frame, thus probably triggering the collapse of China's (if not all of Asia's) economy. I think that might be a pretty vitally important role.

That might sound like an odd way to state how powerful a company's influence is, but that's exactly how you measure how influential a company is in this day and age: Just how exactly the decisions they make could royally screw up a large amount of people's day with a single decision.

Corporations are the modern world's empires, and Philadelphia simply does not have the same amount of main corporate HQs of globally important companies that Atlanta does.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,461,539 times
Data ranged from how many Fortune Global 500 company headquarters were in a city to the size of its capital markets and the flow of goods through its airports and ports, as well as factors such as the number of embassies, think tanks, political organizations, and museums. Taken together, a city's performance on this slate of indicators tells us how worldly -- or provincial -- it really is.The Global Cities Index 2010 - An FP Special Report | Foreign Policy

2010 Global 500: US Metros with 5 or More
New York area 28
San Francisco-San Jose area 10
Chicago area 10
Minneapolis area 7
Houston area 6
Washington area 5
Philadelphia area 5
Atlanta 5

Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,130,849 times
Quote:
I disagree. This isn't civic pride talking, but just reality. If UPS up and decided (and this decision is made in Atlanta) to stop shipping anything from China, their manufacturing economy would come to a grinding halt and no other company would be able to come in and take it's place in any reasonable time frame, thus probably triggering the collapse of China's (if not all of Asia's) economy. I think that might be a pretty vitally important role.
That just made me spit out all of my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. That's beyond the overstatement of the year. You mean to tell us that if UPS decides to stop shipping from China, the Asian economy collapses? Dude: GET A GRIP. That leads to a hiccup in Asian market shipping as FedEx and other companies from all over the planet gobble up all that market share.

It would trigger the collapse of UPS, not Asia. No one is doubting UPS is a shipping giant but...wow. No offense, but talk about delusions of grandeur.

And while the world headquarters of those companies may be located elsewhere, there are plenty of vital decisions which are made in national HQ's.

Getting out of work early so I gotta run...but thanks for the laugh about the Asian economy!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That just made me spit out all of my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. That's beyond the overstatement of the year. You mean to tell us that if UPS decides to stop shipping from China, the Asian economy collapses? Dude: GET A GRIP. That leads to a hiccup in Asian market shipping as FedEx and other companies from all over the planet gobble up all that market share.

It would trigger the collapse of UPS, not Asia. No one is doubting UPS is a shipping giant but...wow. No offense, but talk about delusions of grandeur.

And while the world headquarters of those companies may be located elsewhere, there are plenty of vital decisions which are made in national HQ's.

Getting out of work early so I gotta run...but thanks for the laugh about the Asian economy!
LOL, well obviously it was an extreme example not rooted in anything that would actually happen. But yes, UPS is that important and Fedex couldn't just come in and take over. UPS runs pretty the entire shipping network in China all through out Asia. Fedex just has a small presence there and a lot of it is collocated with UPS operations.

And yes, such a situation could cause the collapse of an economy..it's basically the only way trickle down economics works. Think of the situation: There are all these factories making not only goods for consumers but electronics for other companies to use in their products and large pieces of equipment. If the company that was pretty much solely responsible for moving all of that from the factory to market all of a sudden decided not to, then that product would have to sit there collecting dust while they figured out how to move it to market (and the biggest destination of their goods is America). Every minute that passes that's a dollar lost and, in such an extreme example, setting up the shipping network would not be an overnight thing. The longer it takes, the more the companies lose, then it starts effecting other companies because factory workers aren't getting paid, then tax collections start going down, then eventually you have a full scale economic collapse.

Granted this is an very extreme example that would never happen, but I use to highlight what is truly important in a global economy:

-Companies that control the money (banks)
-Companies that control the movement of goods around world
-Companies that control the movement of people
-Companies that control the movement of ideas (media)

Now, I'm not way suggesting that Atlanta is the most important city on Earth (LOL), it's place in the ranking this thread was based on is appropriate. Atlanta does after all have HQ of two of the largest companies in the world for two of those areas (UPS and Delta) and a third another (CNN among others), so placing it in the middle of the top 65 global cities makes sense (along with all the other stuff in this city unrelated to business). My only point is that Philadelphia does not have any main HQs in the above areas like Atlanta does, so it is no suprise why it didn't make the list and Atlanta does if that was the main thing being measured. I do however believe, and I've stated this before, that the top companies and all other things Philadelphia offers should have allowed them to make the list of 65. The fact that Philadelphia didn't I do disagree with.

Last edited by waronxmas; 08-19-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Quote:
LOL, well obviously it was an extreme example not rooted in anything that would actually happen. But yes, UPS is that important and Fedex couldn't just come in and take over. UPS runs pretty the entire shipping network in China all through out Asia. Fedex just has a small presence there and a lot of it is collocated with UPS operations.

And yes, such a situation could cause the collapse of an economy..it's basically the only way trickle down economics works. Think of the situation: There are all these factories making not only goods for consumers but electronics for other companies to use in their products and large pieces of equipment. If the company that was pretty much solely responsible for moving all of that from the factory to market all of a sudden decided not to, then that product would have to sit there collecting dust while they figured out how to move it to market (and the biggest destination of their goods is America). Every minute that passes that's a dollar lost and, in such an extreme example, setting up the shipping network would not be an overnight thing. The longer it takes, the more the companies lose, then it starts effecting other companies because factory workers aren't getting paid, then tax collections start going down, then eventually you have a full scale economic collapse.

Granted this is an very extreme example that would never happen, but I use to highlight what is truly important in a global economy:

-Companies that control the money (banks)
-Companies that control the movement of goods around world
-Companies that control the movement of people
-Companies that control the movement of ideas (media)

Now, I'm not way suggesting that Atlanta is the most important city on Earth (LOL), it's place in the ranking this thread was based on is appropriate. Atlanta does after all have HQ of two of the largest companies in the world for two of those areas (UPS and Delta) and a third another (CNN among others), so placing it in the middle of the top 65 global cities makes sense (along with all the other stuff in this city unrelated to business). My only point is that Philadelphia does not have any main HQs in the above areas like Atlanta does, so it is no suprise why it didn't make the list and Atlanta does if that was the main thing being measured. I do however believe, and I've stated this before, that the top companies and all other things Philadelphia offers should have allowed them to make the list of 65. The fact that Philadelphia didn't I do disagree with.

So is CNN more important than NBC - Question one HQ in ATL and one in Philly (oh and your among others based on your logic, they are HQ's in Philly Comcast owns the Weather channel among others Coprorate HQ, 3 blocks from city hall in Philly)

Banks and Finance - Vangaurd Controls ~ 20% of mutual fund transactions worlwide, Philly - SEI reconciles more than 50% of all market transactions worldwide daily - philly Lincoln Finacial, ING, HSBC not major players
Pharmaceuticals (Healthcare represents the largest comppnent of the civilized world economy - GSK, Merck, AZ, JNJ, Shire etc. business run from the area)
Logistics SAP - runs logistics on moving everything worldwide
Chemicals - Dupont is an insignificant Worldwide player I presume as is Rohm and Hass also Philly based as is Sunoco

Again, all I am saying is your point are grossly overstated, grossly get informed before making such rash comments

Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,177,754 times
Atlanta is a powerful player in the American SouthEast nothing more nothing less. People from Hong kong,london,tokyo,madrid,moscow etc dont even know what the hell an atlanta is. The A has the biggest delusional boosters on city-data.

Your going to sit here and tell me that a city in Georgia can cripple the whole asian economy with just one decision lol. Give me a break

Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So is CNN more important than NBC - Question one HQ in ATL and one in Philly (oh and your among others based on your logic, they are HQ's in Philly Comcast owns the Weather channel among others Coprorate HQ, 3 blocks from city hall in Philly)
I never said they were, but they are both probably equally important all things considered. NBC is more influential in the States, CNN is more influential internationally.

Quote:
Banks and Finance - Vangaurd Controls ~ 20% of mutual fund transactions worlwide, Philly - SEI reconciles more than 50% of all market transactions worldwide daily - philly Lincoln Finacial, ING, HSBC not major players
Pharmaceuticals (Healthcare represents the largest comppnent of the civilized world economy - GSK, Merck, AZ, JNJ, Shire etc. business run from the area)
Logistics SAP - runs logistics on moving everything worldwide
Chemicals - Dupont is an insignificant Worldwide player I presume as is Rohm and Hass also Philly based as is Sunoco
I never claimed that Philadelphia's economy wasn't globally important.

Quote:
Again, all I am saying is your point are grossly overstated, grossly get informed before making such rash comments
I don't believe I have, though I probably should have used a more realistic example about how a single company can effect an entire economy. All I'm doing is giving examples of just how integral and more important the companies are in Atlanta than ones in Philadelphia. This isn't my opinion, but the opinion of people well more versed in this subject than either you or myself.

How else would you explain why Atlanta has consistently ranked about Philadelphia in all of these studies?

I'm still waiting to hear an answer on that, while all certain people seem to do is scoff at the idea of Atlanta being a more important city to the world economy than Philadelphia.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM

21,959 posts, read 30,853,672 times
Quote:
I never said they were, but they are both probably equally important all things considered. NBC is more influential in the States, CNN is more influential internationally.

I never claimed that Philadelphia's economy wasn't globally important.

I don't believe I have, though I probably should have used a more realistic example about how a single company can effect an entire economy. All I'm doing is giving examples of just how integral and more important the companies are in Atlanta than ones in Philadelphia. This isn't my opinion, but the opinion of people well more versed in this subject than either you or myself.

How else would you explain why Atlanta has consistently ranked about Philadelphia in all of these studies?

I'm still waiting to hear an answer on that, while all certain people seem to do is scoff at the idea of Atlanta being a more important city to the world economy than Philadelphia.

on the bold - well it hasn't - read your earlier post

You claimed Philly had no media, influence in product movement, finance etc. I gave examples

I am not Saying Atlanta is or isnt, point was to think it is significantly more or less either is uniformed and those people more well versed agree when they are examined together - consistently above? (didnt you post a tie a few back)

Your example was laughable, seriously, does not even warrant further response on the Asian UPS example

So here you go - equally inane - Dupont stops producing telamaray for foreign markets - two things one our allies can't produce certain anti missle defense technology to protect their countries - Asia invades the world and UPS holds the world hostage until they finish cleaning their trucks (or boats in the case of Venice) to quell the standoff the IOC grants Atlanta another Olympic and the added event a biatholon of deliveries using UPS trucks, sponsered by Coke and covered exclusively by CNN of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or