Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Do you hear yourself talk? Why would I follow you around this is open source website, post and everyone sees. I am only concerned with NY, all else is 2nd. I read this site, if I see you running your mouth about NY in such disrespectful manner I will correct you. Simple as that.
Another thing, really? NY 3rd after London and Tokyo? Both powerful city, but no ranking on Earth has it that way. Those are sub tier cities compared to NY, got that?

Why would you say that in joking manner in serious thread? Want to talk about top vacation spots then make your own thread about it, but dont interject that idea into this one, it is irrelevant.
We will get along as long as you keep what you say about NY factually true.
You're the one calling Miami, and LA, tourist traps when CLEARLY there WORLD CITIES, and you say I don't have respect? That tough New York talk doesn't fly in the REAL WORLD, let alone City-Data. If right now, I said New York City isn't the top US city(which I NEVER DID to begin with!!!) What the hell would you do about it? YOU were the one who talked about Miami and LA in a condescending manner, therefore YOU'RE the one who needs to be set straight!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 PM

301 posts, read 639,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You're the one calling Miami, and LA, tourist traps when CLEARLY there WORLD CITIES, and you say I don't have respect? That tough New York talk doesn't fly in the REAL WORLD, let alone City-Data. "You got that!!!" If right now, I said New York City isn't the top US city(which I NEVER DID to begin with!!!) What the hell would you do about it? YOU were the one who talked about Miami and LA in a condescending manner, therefore YOU'RE the one who needs to be set straight!!!!
You are a blatant fool if you are out praising Miami and LA. Miami is what it is and that is a top tourist destination and hub for immigrants of low education who come from their 3rd world pitiful depressing countries to make a "better life".
You still have not told me one power index reason why LA belongs on this list. And dont bother saying port and Hollywood. I want to see how much you really know of LA, and no one help him with this. So tell me Polo89, what makes LA think it can sit as high as it does in this list?
I live in the real world, I partly own my own marketing company, I travel for work a lot, you would be surprised how many people like me exist in real world, nothing nitwits from dumpy backgrounds can do about it to change that. You clearly do not respect the powerful, just look at your post now for evidence in a power thread you are talking about cesspool qualities like tourist destinations grow up and educate yourself then come here and talk, either that or wait until LA out does NY, oh wait that will never happen.
Tell me why should one respect a city that has over 1.2 million people unemployed and looking for work, why should one respect a city with pollution everywhere, why should one respect a city that does not even know how to keep its economy alive, why respect a city that deserves no respect? Tell me I want to hear it from you and you only.
And another thing you look seem like some uneducated being with your grammar, talk to me when you stop capitalizing one word in every sentence. All your posts do that.
Who is going to "set me straight" you? The person who lacks any knowledge of given cities and goes through thread by thread talking about palm trees, shopping, and LA. LOL youre killing me here, I have never laughed harder than that before over a post online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Like the pot callling the kettle black. One read through this thread and it's obvious to any fair minded person that you are an extremely obnoxious douche bag.
HAHAHAHAHA, obnoxious am I? Good, this site needs more who say it like it is, I am not going to sprinkle and cherry dumps that dont deserve respect. Sparky, come now, I thought we were friends?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
You are a blatant fool if you are out praising Miami and LA. Miami is what it is and that is a top tourist destination and hub for immigrants of low education who come from their 3rd world pitiful depressing countries to make a "better life".
You still have not told me one power index reason why LA belongs on this list. And dont bother saying port and Hollywood. I want to see how much you really know of LA, and no one help him with this. So tell me Polo89, what makes LA think it can sit as high as it does in this list?
I live in the real world, I partly own my own marketing company, I travel for work a lot, you would be surprised how many people like me exist in real world, nothing nitwits from dumpy backgrounds can do about it to change that. You clearly do not respect the powerful, just look at your post now for evidence in a power thread you are talking about cesspool qualities like tourist destinations grow up and educate yourself then come here and talk, either that or wait until LA out does NY, oh wait that will never happen.
Tell me why should one respect a city that has over 1.2 million people unemployed and looking for work, why should one respect a city with pollution everywhere, why should one respect a city that does not even know how to keep its economy alive, why respect a city that deserves no respect? Tell me I want to hear it from you and you only.
And another thing you look seem like some uneducated being with your grammar, talk to me when you stop capitalizing one word in every sentence. All your posts do that.
Who is going to "set me straight" you? The person who lacks any knowledge of given cities and goes through thread by thread talking about palm trees, shopping, and LA. LOL youre killing me here, I have never laughed harder than that before over a post online.

HAHAHAHAHA, obnoxious am I? Good, this site needs more who say it like it is, I am not going to sprinkle and cherry dumps that dont deserve respect. Sparky, come now, I thought we were friends?
All I said was, LA and Miami are GLOBAL cities, and not just "tourist traps"(another overused term on C-D) and YOU sir, have issues with this. The Foreign Policy Magazine ranked them where they are. It's not like they put them up there just because they "felt like it". LOOK at any global city rankings, and Miami and Los Angeles will be on those list. Do you think I should take YOUR word, over people who get paid to research this stuff? Ok.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 PM

Who on here put LA over NYC????? I didn't see anyone do that. And you want to judge a city based on pollution, when NYC is one of the dirtiest cities in the US? Ok people lets judge cities by how dirty they are. SMH. Get over yourself, there are too many people like you on this Website, who think there frame of reality is higher than others, including the experts.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
All I said was, LA and Miami are GLOBAL cities, and not just "tourist traps"(another overused term on C-D) and YOU sir, have issues with this. The Foreign Policy Magazine ranked them where they are. It's not like they put them up there just because they "felt like it". LOOK at any global city rankings, and Miami and Los Angeles will be on those list. Do you think I should take YOUR word, over people who get paid to research this stuff? Ok.
I never said that they do not belong on this list, learn to read. I asked you why you think they do, I want to know how much knowledge you really have or are you just a flake poster who bandwagons on preferred cities without contributing anything of your own?
The original argument was "why is Chicago ahead of LA" and the poster I was arguing with, then you intervened with another one of your stupid posts showing lack of knowledge and irritating one capitalized words in sentence to say "you're just jealous". Fact is those people you are lecturing me on getting paid for this were paid to analyze and they ranked Chicago ahead. Accept it and move on with your life.
Tourist destinations are important though, dont get me wrong they boom an economy of their own, hotel industry, dining and chains, shopping, and all other related industries. Miami is very powerful with that, but to say it is not a tourist trap is a lie.
So answer my question, what about LA and Miami's economies make them more powerful than Chicago or NY? That was the original point of my argument with the poster I quoted before you jumped in.
No body help Polo answer, I want to see how much this kid knows about the "real world" before he starts lecturing me or anyone else here about how people "talk in the real world".
So answer me Polo, answer my question, show off your PhD knowledge a little.

Quote:
Who on here put LA over NYC????? I didn't see anyone do that. And you want to judge a city based on pollution, when NYC is one of the dirtiest cities in the US? Ok people lets judge cities by how dirty they are. SMH. Get over yourself, there are too many people like you on this Website, who think there frame of reality is higher than others, including the experts.
Really now? How much time did it come up for you to make this cute little rant? And there are too many people on this site who go into power index threads to defend failed portions of cities. Learn a little bit about life kid, then come back here to talk like you are a life guru.
And I never said I am above those researchers that ranked this, my first post was to Sparky, explaining with cold truth why Chicago is beyond LAs horizon as a city. Then you intervened with your jibberish. How about you answer my question. What economic policies of LA or Miami for that matter put them in ranks with Chicago or NY. What puts LAs economy power ranking above Chicago? Answer that to me and then come back for your cute little rants.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I never said that they do not belong on this list, learn to read. I asked you why you think they do, I want to know how much knowledge you really have or are you just a flake poster who bandwagons on preferred cities without contributing anything of your own?
The original argument was "why is Chicago ahead of LA" and the poster I was arguing with, then you intervened with another one of your stupid posts showing lack of knowledge and irritating one capitalized words in sentence to say "you're just jealous". Fact is those people you are lecturing me on getting paid for this were paid to analyze and they ranked Chicago ahead. Accept it and move on with your life.
Tourist destinations are important though, dont get me wrong they boom an economy of their own, hotel industry, dining and chains, shopping, and all other related industries. Miami is very powerful with that, but to say it is not a tourist trap is a lie.
So answer my question, what about LA and Miami's economies make them more powerful than Chicago or NY? That was the original point of my argument with the poster I quoted before you jumped in.
No body help Polo answer, I want to see how much this kid knows about the "real world" before he starts lecturing me or anyone else here about how people "talk in the real world".
So answer me Polo, answer my question, show off your PhD knowledge a little.

Really now? How much time did it come up for you to make this cute little rant? And there are too many people on this site who go into power index threads to defend failed portions of cities. Learn a little bit about life kid, then come back here to talk like you are a life guru.
Once again, You referred to these cities as TOURIST TRAPS, and I said they are MORE THAN THAT. I never said Miami belongs higher than Chicago. My initial beef with you was that you referd to them in a condescending manner. Once again, if these websites, ans magazines, constantly rate LA above Chicago, than why don't you take issue with those magazine, and show them how much you know more then them, seems how you take issue, with Los Angeles being ranked above Chicago. It sounds to me, the only reason why you don't think LA should be ranked that high, is because of some personal(key word) grievances you had with the city, therefore you're letting those personal grievances over take PROOF(as in the articles, and rankings), that Los Angeles is indeed above Chicago. I don't need to provide my own personal proof, it has been provided at the beginning of this thread. Once again, you're frame of reality, isn't larger than anybody else's. I see where you're coming from, because LA seen primarily as "The entertainment capital" and it seems that's where the majority of it's points come from in rankings, BUT it is also one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US, it is 2nd in population only to NYC, it is the Largest city on the West-coast, it is a LARGE port city in which it is perfectly positioned towards Asia which means, it has one of the highest points of entry for Asians in the US, being positioned towards Mexico also helps with travels to and from Latin-America. It also has the 2nd highest GDP in America behind NYC(Per capita does matter as you pointed out, BUT it's not the end all be all in deciding these factors it is what is it). Being in SoCal, it is a large high-tech hub(though not NEARLY as large as the Bay Area). Los Angeles also has a LARGE Aerospace industry. And if you want more than just word of mouth, here is some more proof(I guess): Top Ranking Global Economies - Ranking The Global Cities The Global Guru - (http://www.theglobalguru.com/article.php?id=106&offer=GURU - broken link) Chicago is a great city, but in TODAYS America, LA is truly the SECOND CITY.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM

But hey, I'm only 21, I should take the word of someone I don't know over some websites, and Global Rankings.SMH. This thread just went to hell.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Once again, You referred to these cities as TOURIST TRAPS, and I said they are MORE THAN THAT. I never said Miami belongs higher than Chicago. My initial beef with you was that you referd to them in a condescending manner. Once again, if these websites, ans magazines, constantly rate LA above Chicago, than why don't you take issue with those magazine, and show them how much you know more then them, seems how you take issue, with Los Angeles being ranked above Chicago. It sounds to me, the only reason why you don't think LA should be ranked that high, is because of some personal(key word) grievances you had with the city, therefore you're letting those personal grievances over take PROOF(as in the articles, and rankings), that Los Angeles is indeed above Chicago. I don't need to provide my own personal proof, it has been provided at the beginning of this thread. Once again, you're frame of reality, isn't larger than anybody else's. I see where you're coming from, because LA seen primarily as "The entertainment capital" and it seems that's where the majority of it's points come from in rankings, BUT it is also one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US, it is 2nd in population only to NYC, it is the Largest city on the West-coast, it is a LARGE port city in which it is perfectly positioned towards Asia which means, it has one of the highest points of entry for Asians in the US, being positioned towards Mexico also helps with travels to and from Latin-America. It also has the 2nd highest GDP in America behind NYC(Per capita does matter as you pointed out, BUT it's not the end all be all in deciding these factors it is what is it). Being in SoCal, it is a large high-tech hub(though not NEARLY as large as the Bay Area). Los Angeles also has a LARGE Aerospace industry. And if you want more than just word of mouth, here is some more proof(I guess): Top Ranking Global Economies - Ranking The Global Cities The Global Guru - (http://www.theglobalguru.com/article.php?id=106&offer=GURU - broken link) Chicago is a great city, but in TODAYS America, LA is truly the SECOND CITY.

You are a fool if you are arguing this way, this post shows it. How does per capita not matter? LA is poor compared to cities smaller than it. You take the GDP and divide by population. Obviously it would have a higher GDP its a larger city.
China has a larger GDP than UK, but does that make China a developed nation? Their per capita is still poor. GDP and per capita go hand in hand, per capita shows how much better off average individual is in Metro. Per capita is the divided factor of GDP and population, so basically per capita in sense is GDP. Go figure.

This foreign policy magazine has Chicago above LA, I dont know what youre even talking about by saying they have "LA above Chicago".

WTF? Chicago has more of a tech presence than LA, which has very little tech presence compared to SF, NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Dallas. Now I know you cannot be serious if you are saying LA has more.
And so? Beijing is not ethnically diverse of racially, does it not belong in the top of this list? Chicago may not be as diverse as LA but they placed Chicago higher on all these rankings because Chicago is a better rounded city.

Answer my question polo, what industries in LA put it on top of Chicago besides entertainment and sea port? Please answer my question without getting help from anyone else on here. You want to jump in to prove a point learn to do it on your own.
Really now polo, how about this. How about the fact that the average of 7 different rankings have put LA behind Chicago. 7 DIFFERENT RANKINGS. I have to capitalize just because I know you cant read when its lower cased.

Answer this while your at it, these 7 world renown rankings have averaged to Chicago above LA. Please explain to me why LA is above Chicago again? Please do tell. Palm trees? Foreign Policy Magazine placed Chicago 6th and LA 7th, so that makes total of 8. I would love to hear from you.
Look polo, try to keep things inside boundaries that are factually true, K?

Quote:
It sounds to me, the only reason why you don't think LA should be ranked that high, is because of some personal(key word) grievances you had with the city, therefore you're letting those personal grievances over take PROOF(as in the articles, and rankings), that Los Angeles is indeed above Chicago
Quote:
But hey, I'm only 21, I should take the word of someone I don't know over some websites, and Global Rankings.SMH. This thread just went to hell.
You are irritating me. Go back to first post of this thread Chicago is ranked above LA. Other rankings like GaWC and many others all have Chicago above LA. WTF are you talking about me not showing proof? Get over your love for LA and see reason and logic.

Last edited by Ghost of Blasphamany; 09-19-2010 at 12:29 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
You are a fool if you are arguing this way, this post shows it. How does per capita not matter? LA is poor compared to cities smaller than it. You take the GDP and divide by population. Obviously it would have a higher GDP its a larger city.
China has a larger GDP than UK, but does that make China a developed nation? Their per capita is still poor. GDP and per capita go hand in hand, per capita shows how much better off average individual is in Metro. Per capita is the divided factor of GDP and population, so basically per capita in sense is GDP. Go figure.

This foreign policy magazine has Chicago above LA, I dont know what youre even talking about by saying they have "LA above Chicago".

WTF? Chicago has more of a tech presence than LA, which has very little tech presence compared to SF, NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Dallas. Now I know you cannot be serious if you are saying LA has more.
And so? Beijing is not ethnically diverse of racially, does it not belong in the top of this list? Chicago may not be as diverse as LA but they placed Chicago higher on all these rankings because Chicago is a better rounded city.

Answer my question polo, what industries in LA put it on top of Chicago besides entertainment and sea port? Please answer my question without getting help from anyone else on here. You want to jump in to prove a point learn to do it on your own.
Really now polo, how about this. How about the fact that the average of 7 different rankings have put LA behind Chicago. 7 DIFFERENT RANKINGS. I have to capitalize just because I know you cant read when its lower cased.

Answer this while your at it, these 7 world renown rankings have averaged to Chicago above LA. Please explain to me why LA is above Chicago again? Please do tell. Palm trees? Foreign Policy Magazine placed Chicago 6th and LA 7th, so that makes total of 8. I would love to hear from you.
Look polo, I admit my posts have been harsh on you for your defense, but try to keep things inside boundaries that are factually true, K?
So are we changing what we're arguing about now? You said you had a problem where Los Angeles is ranked? Am I correct? Than what are we arguing about? Industries? Yes, congrats, Chicago is has a larger diversity in industries, good. But fact of the matter is, Los Angeles is more diverse, has a larger trade base, and is more well known throughout the world than Chicago. Once again, if LA is ranked where it is, than why are you even arguing? To add, these global cites ranking change every year, ok Chicago finally overtook LA, looking at global influence LA is still seen as the 2nd most recognized and respected city in America. I'll give Chicago credit, it's improved. I mean, we can't judge per capita by everything. The NYC metro is FAR larger than any other metro, so it naturally has the highest GDP. And once again, how is LA just a tourist trap when it is ranked the 7th global city n this planet, and for years ranked AHEAD of Chicago? And once again, how is LA just a tourist trap? You've not provided an answer for that. Does Chicago finally being ranked number 6 make LA a tourist trap? Technically, if NYC finally for the 1st time in 20yrs received the highest amount of tourist(which it did this year, CONGRATS!!!) wouldn't that make NYC a tourist trap? And most world city surveys rank Los Angeles higher than Chicago in in power and influence, so much for being a tourist trap. But, I'll give the Chi credit, I just don't see where you go off being as condescending towards LA. As if LA has never been ahead of Chicago. Once again, LA is seen as more influential, and more powerful than Chicago is in World City Power and Influence surveys and in Global Power City Indexes ahead of Chicago, despite LA's industries or lack thereof.(although, you can say certain political influences, have helped Chicago in worldwide recognition)

Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Look polo, try to keep things inside boundaries that are factually true, K?

You are irritating me. Go back to first post of this thread Chicago is ranked above LA. Other rankings like GaWC and many others all have Chicago above LA. WTF are you talking about me not showing proof? Get over your love for LA and see reason and logic.
Explain to me why LA is ranked above Chicago in Global Power Indexes, and World City Surveys in POWER and INFLUENCE, if you want to go by logic and reasoning? And it's not like Chicago is ranked 4 or 5 spaces above Los Angeles. I mean, for a tourist trap, LA is a world renowned city. Just saying. Are the people in these surveys just blind by there love for Los Angele, and can't go by logic and reasoning?

Last edited by polo89; 09-19-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City