Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Charlotte or Knoxville?
Knoxville 7 26.92%
Charlotte 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 PM

406 posts, read 1,428,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
knoxville is more beautiful, but i'd rather live in charlotte

I understand this is personal preference, but any particular reason... Other then maby its size or the fact it's an "easy transition" to the south due to many transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,824,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I understand this is personal preference, but any particular reason... Other then maby its size or the fact it's an "easy transition" to the south due to many transplants?
well i'm from the south so there wouldn't be any real "transition" for me to make either way, but yes my answer is due to it being a larger city with more to offer

Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've never been a big fan of Knoxville; I've found it to be a rather homely city in the middle of a beautiful area. You wouldn't think so since it's home to UT, but I find it to be one of the most unimpressive campuses I've seen...too much concrete.
i agree. i've only seen it online, but from what i can tell it's not a very nice looking campus

Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well i'm from the south so there wouldn't be any real "transition" for me to make either way, but yes my answer is due to it being a larger city with more to offer

More to offer in the way of entertainment, attractions; things of this nature. Because it has a big downtown and thriving nightlife? These things are important to some, but not to others. If these are reasons, I suppose they are valid. To me they would just be superficial because I dont care if a city has a big downtown, nightlife (bars, clubs etc.), I dont care if there are 20 of everything and a big city "feel". So although I could see your reasons, it would not be any of mine. And apologies for the assumption that you were from elsewhere.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
More to offer in the way of entertainment, attractions; things of this nature. Because it has a big downtown and thriving nightlife? These things are important to some, but not to others. If these are reasons, I suppose they are valid. To me they would just be superficial because I dont care if a city has a big downtown, nightlife (bars, clubs etc.), I dont care if there are 20 of everything and a big city "feel". So although I could see your reasons, it would not be any of mine. And apologies for the assumption that you were from elsewhere.
ok.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,278,097 times
Quote:
I couldn't afford S. Charlotte if I wanted too lol, I have been wondering however, what the crime is like in N. Charlotte. To me it seems the most affordable while still keeping most of its safety. Is this an accurate dipiction of this area?
Actually you could afford S. Charlotte. You just gotta know where to look. I stay near Southend and the rent is less than $700 for a 2 BR.

But if you must stay in N. Charlotte you should look at the University Area aka University City. It is a nice area in the North East part of town.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Actually you could afford S. Charlotte. You just gotta know where to look. I stay near Southend and the rent is less than $700 for a 2 BR.

But if you must stay in N. Charlotte you should look at the University Area aka University City. It is a nice area in the North East part of town.

I was looking at NE area... but i was looking at Concord to avoid the crime. Doesn't University Area have a high crime rate.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
YHD

7 posts, read 17,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I gotcha...I guess I was confused why you had my post quoted in your post. No biggie....and I agree. It's really hard to compare apples to oranges, but then again some of us have a hard time deciding between the two....I know... I've been there.

I think that people are getting confused and are automatically forgetting WHAT you are comparing. You already mentioned in your post that Knoxville is smaller than Charlotte. You're wanting to compared the "Southern feel" more than the "size" of the two cities. I don't think that it's an unfair comparison, based on what you're looking for.

Based on that "southern feel" that you're looking for, I think Knoxville will be your best bet between the two. Only based on the few times that I've been there, I noticed that "southern" vibe very quickly in Knoxville, not even being there for that long. Now if you're looking for the more "urban" feel and larger of the two, then I would definitely choose Charlotte. I grew up in this area and it has grown tremendously over the past 10 years and is still growing at a fast rate. A lot of it's "southern" feel has left over the the years, due to the tremendous amount of northerners that have moved to the area. Most of all of my friends have come from somewhere up north. Living here, you'll notice that there are very few natives here, compared to Charlotte's population as a whole. Even some of my friends that were born here were born a little after their parents moved down here from up north.

So based on what you're looking for (that "Southern" feel), I think Knoxville will fit that more. That's just based on what I know from visiting Knoxville those few times. I hope that this info helped a little with your search

Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,861,470 times
Quote:
I dont care if a city has a big downtown, nightlife (bars, clubs etc.), I dont care if there are 20 of everything and a big city "feel".
Knoxville for you. Definitely.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 AM

Thanks for all the insight, I really think if I can I'm gonna try to get down to visit both for a couple days to really get the vibe of both. I suspect That I may like Knoxville better but would have an easier transition into Charlotte considering i'm comeing from the midwest and a city of similar size. Its just that i'm tired of the north and im tired of the "big city" so thats why i'm kinda leanin torward Knoxville seeing as how its in the south, its more "southern" and its smaller. But there is still somethin in me that says "you cant go wrong with Charlotte". Is this way of thinking right? "You cant go wrong with Charlotte", alot of people seem to have it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City