U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 AM

531 posts, read 569,484 times
"Detroit--Flint" ^^^

... I feel sorry for the parents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh PA - Knoxville, TN

The capital of "North Appalachia" and the capital of "South Appalachia."
I've heard that Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV have a similar relationship.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I suppose I'll start off:

Atlanta--Charlotte
Los Angeles--Houston or Miami
Dallas--Forth Worth or OKC
Phoenix--Albuquerque?
New Orleans--Savannah or Charleston
I fully agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
New Orleans--Mobile
I never did get this comparison.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 AM

New Orleans and Mobile have similar histories, but Mobile doesn't have much of a tangible representation of that history like New Orleans does.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 AM

4,236 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
New Orleans and Mobile have similar histories, but Mobile doesn't have much of a tangible representation of that history like New Orleans does.
True. Mobile was the first capital of Louisiana and both it and N.O. were founded by Iberville, but by the time they convinced people to actually inhabit New Orleans Mobile was already British. By the time New Orleans was establishing itself, Mobile was in a totally different place culturally.

I think that many people assume that because they are both of French origin and on the Gulf that they are supposed to have this "bond" or similarity. People don't realize that one was heavily Spanish and the other heavily British for most of their existence. They may share a few cultural traits and maybe a little architecture, but culturally and topographically they are completely different.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,772,069 times
Boston, NYC, Philly & DC are all Baltimore's sisters, but they dont bang with her, and she dont bang with them.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

354 posts, read 348,524 times
Although I've never been to San Fransisco, I've always thought it was similar to my city, Rochester. We both have the "bay" bridge, we also have the huge Finger Lakes wine region, lots of liberal thinkers and artsy types, as well as lot's of capitalists and high tech businesses. Both, very water oriented and gay friendly, and despite all the bad press about upstate NY, Rochester (metro) currently has the largest population it's ever had.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:50 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,193,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
True. Mobile was the first capital of Louisiana and both it and N.O. were founded by Iberville, but by the time they convinced people to actually inhabit New Orleans Mobile was already British. By the time New Orleans was establishing itself, Mobile was in a totally different place culturally.

I think that many people assume that because they are both of French origin and on the Gulf that they are supposed to have this "bond" or similarity. People don't realize that one was heavily Spanish and the other heavily British for most of their existence. They may share a few cultural traits and maybe a little architecture, but culturally and topographically they are completely different.
I think the comparison is due to there not really being any better match for New Orleans.

I am trying to come up with one for St. Louis either larger or smaller. The problem might be anything similar is similar in metro area size (around 3m)

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM

1,205 posts, read 866,202 times
This kinda a tough question so.....

Pittsburgh-Birmingham, the steel industry having a huge presence in both city at time.

Atlanta-Birmingham, both cities were the same size until around 1960, and the rest is history.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think the comparison is due to there not really being any better match for New Orleans.
Savannah and Charleston.

Quote:
I am trying to come up with one for St. Louis either larger or smaller. The problem might be anything similar is similar in metro area size (around 3m)
Very true; I pretty much came to the same conclusion when trying to think of a smaller match for STL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Atlanta-Birmingham, both cities were the same size until around 1960, and the rest is history.
True, but today I think one could make a better case for Atlanta/Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City